DE Blade "Conversion"

I had tried this a week or so ago and failed miserably, but after a pep talk from a fellow injector shaver I tried a different approach based on his input and was richly rewarded!! ;)

Fortunately, I have an OEM Schick blank blade to use as a template but a used injector blade will suffice. I laid it alongside a Gillette Platinum Plus DE blade to estimate the needed amount to remove and cut that off with scissors. Then came the tricky part, or so I thought. I used a loaded injector magazine to start a new blade into the G 1 razor, but pushed just far enough to get a good grip on the used blade sliding out and then quickly retracted the loader. Hence, I was left with a "naked" razor. I then merely side "shimmied" the cut to size DE blade into place and then pressed down the top cap on the razor to compensate for the thin blade. There was sufficient space to not worry about rubbing on the razor blade stops upon insertion.

I then lathered up and with great trepidation, and an ultralight touch, did a short pass while thoughts of German dueling scars flashed through my mind. :eek: The result was a shave just like using an OEM Gilletite Platinum Plus injector blade, albeit with one difference: the audible feedback seemed louder which makes sense as the blade is thinner.

The hardest part is cutting the DE blade to size and need something better than ordinary scissors, but they work in a pinch. Now I can enjoy all the top shelf DE blades in an injector!! :)

I had tried this a week or so ago and failed miserably, but after a pep talk from a fellow injector shaver I tried a different approach based on his input and was richly rewarded!! ;)

Fortunately, I have an OEM Schick blank blade to use as a template but a used injector blade will suffice. I laid it alongside a Gillette Platinum Plus DE blade to estimate the needed amount to remove and cut that off with scissors. Then came the tricky part, or so I thought. I used a loaded injector magazine to start a new blade into the G 1 razor, but pushed just far enough to get a good grip on the used blade sliding out and then quickly retracted the loader. Hence, I was left with a "naked" razor. I then merely side "shimmied" the cut to size DE blade into place and then pressed down the top cap on the razor to compensate for the thin blade. There was sufficient space to not worry about rubbing on the razor blade stops upon insertion.

I then lathered up and with great trepidation, and an ultralight touch, did a short pass while thoughts of German dueling scars flashed through my mind. :eek: The result was a shave just like using an OEM Gilletite Platinum Plus injector blade, albeit with one difference: the audible feedback seemed louder which makes sense as the blade is thinner.

The hardest part is cutting the DE blade to size and need something better than ordinary scissors, but they work in a pinch. Now I can enjoy all the top shelf DE blades in an injector!! :)
Good job. So no need to find an E2 now :)

Tonight I cut a new blade, a once used Gillette Goal Super Platinum, and proceeded to use it with a no pre-shower prep, just a sink wash & a Palmolive shave stick. Spectacular shave. Tons of audible feedback for those who enjoy that. The top cap does have some up/down "play", however that seems to be no factor when pressed against the skin.

Ya just gotta try this!! It's the best of both worlds: the SE injector razor of your choice and the plethora of modern DE blades at your fingertips!! No more scrounging for NOS blades or using the paltry selection of modern injector blades!!! What's not to like? :D

I've been doing this in my Supply SE which I find too mild with standard injectors. Works great with the mild plate. A trimmed DE also works well in a Shovelhead.

32678a4102b5f532fb1ce4f0f603ee2b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom