Derby Blades

Well, tried them.

They worked OK for 2 shaves but the performance went rapidly downhill very quickly. I get 4 or 5 uses from a Personna, so it looks like I'll stick with them.

Probably my least favourite blade. I get irritation and pulling/tugging without fail!

For my face/beard they are not sharp enough, simple as that. I much prefer Feathers!

philamac said:
Well, tried them.

They worked OK for 2 shaves but the performance went rapidly downhill very quickly. I get 4 or 5 uses from a Personna, so it looks like I'll stick with them.

Polar opposite of my experience with Derby's and Personna's.I really think it must be down to beard type.

I didn't find the Derbys to be spectacular. My favourite is Nacet, now very hard to find, but Magicpixie kindly donated a couple of packs. I'm going to place an order with DrIdiot for some Feathers (which I like) and some Kais, which I'd like to try because everyone else seems to rate them highly

The Nacet (and the Silver Blues) were made in the Gillette Czech factory but I believe it's no longer making DE blades.

Derbys? meh.

Pete

I used to like the Derbys more than I do now. I don't dislike them but now I find that with a choice of a Swede, Silver Blue, Iridium, Kai, Feather...and so on, there are just to many better blades that jump out at me from the stash when selecting a blade. Now and again I use one but I think it is a vain effort to use them up.

There are worse blades out there but there are also many that are better. For me they are middle of the road.

Currently on a trial of different blades although not sticking to the schedule I set out. Using a Futur now and then, in and amongst. Have ditched the Slant. But, the Derby is so far one of my favourites - found it smooth and sharp, with the Swede and Yellow too harsh for me. The Derby will definitely be on the rota.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqJzwQk2lyS3ckJNSklLR082TEcyWmxCUXBuWWpnU2c&hl=en">http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... nU2c&hl=en</a><!-- m -->

regards

Peter

hunnymonster said:
Just to confirm that we all have different faces, Derbys work just fine for me - so I have 600-odd of them here in case of the shavocalypse (and about 1000 others to be fair)

Please can you explain what you mean by the shavocalypse. :? It sounds scary, so please bear in mind this is a family shaving website (no profanity or nudity, but of course guns are allowed). ;)

I find Derby blades to be consistantly good and have used them for years and never had a bad one.
I have only ever used Derbys, Merkurs and Wilkinsons. The Merkurs and Wilkinsons are so bad maybe they make the Derbys look good.
I keep meaning to try something different but cannot imaging getting a better shave from anything else.

Pig Cat said:
Please can you explain what you mean by the shavocalypse. :? It sounds scary, so please bear in mind this is a family shaving website (no profanity or nudity, but of course guns are allowed). ;)

As time goes by, our Turkish, Indian and Chinese friends are slowly moving towards cartridge hell - that means that at some unspecified time in the future and it will probably be in our lifetime, DE blades will become harder to get, of lower quality or of higher price, or any combination of all three. This is the shavocalypse to me.

We already see blades beloved going out of production, or being moved from their current production sites to others with quality impacts and I for one don't want to have a panic situation where I have 3 blades left, they've stopped making the ones I like and I have to use German (or Brazilian or Indian) Wilkinsons or worse to shave with.

To that end, I have a "cushion stock" of blades so that whilst people with 3 blades are all wailing and panicking about the above, I can just quietly buy a sample pack and work my way through it in parallel with being able to get a decent shave - or I can just lurk and see what "future currently available" blades get good reception and buy a pack for acceptance testing...

I have never had a good shave with a Derby.. they don't feel sharp and tug a lot. However, I will keep trying them now and then until I run out.

On the other hand, I tried another Swede in the Feather Portable yesterday and it was great.

Interesting that you said they feel as if they tug g-train, I find that as well but they do not leave my face raw or sore, actually the opposite I find them quite mild and that is why I used them as a middle of the road benchmark blade when I started out. That bar was raised to the Iridium as a benchmark blade to compare others against after I bought some of them.

I rarely use the Derbys now, if anything I use them when I know I only want the blade for one or two days mostly when I go on a customer visit or weekend break. They guarantee a not great but irritation free shave, nothing worse then a face like you have taken a sander to it when meeting a customer.

I am with you HM, I am stocked for the shavocalypse, the recent addition of the Kai blades to the treasure chest took me to just over the two thousand blade mark.

Trust me guys listen to HM, the shavocalypse is coming, not this year but soon. The middle east, Asia and Russia are the few markets where Fusion has not reached saturation point. As they become more dependant on trade and their disposable income grows Gillette will swoop with the shiny men like Beckham (and other sports icons)and woo them into closing the remaining plants that produce these fine blades or worse turning them into Fusion production.

There is more money in on going sales of cartridges then there is in DE blades and Gillette is biding it’s time It will prevail because it has achieved market dominance and while WS is still around they are not a strong competitor. Those with big war chests will be the future drug lords as the blades dry up.

Back
Top Bottom