DIY Biltong

Well gents, I've started on something of an interesting journey. All started with a conversation with my South African pal (who now resides in Australia) about droewors (and how the difference between good and bad example of it is a razor thin margin...) and how he's surviving in Australia with only locally produced biltong with their take on how it should be....

One thing lead to another and he pointed me to an article in the South African edition of Popular Mechanics for build your own biltong dryer (that he's been using to satiate his family's demand for biltong like home).

I thought no more about it when a package thudded through the letterbox... He thought I should pull my finger out and get on making some, so 1kg of Freddy Hirsch's biltong spice (enough to do 28kg of input meat apparently).

So back to Popular Mechanics to build the box. http://www.popularmechanics.co.za/home-how-to/diy-projects/reader-projectcut-and-dried/ - Using a 65 litre 'Samla' box from Ikea for the box, all other parts as per the article, nothing high tech but I've made some changes (I've added a removable drip tray and upgraded the dowelling hang rails for aluminium tube).

First lot (a bit less than 1kg input) is in there curing/drying now. As per his hot tip for a starter batch, using rump steak as the feedstock. Hope I've got the spice in the goldilocks zone (too much and it'll be salty, too little and it'll be rancid). Just need to wait for it to happen now. You don't have to use the spice mix of course, there are heaps of recipes out there to help you on your way...

More news when I have some.

Now the thing with biltong is, I was once given some by a SA friend to try and made the mistake of saying "mmm, that nice", I now have a Kg of the stuff to get through and one of those fixed smiles every time he asks how I'm liking it.

Same thing happened with a Lithuanian mate and pigs ears.

Here's the initial mail he sent me - tidied up a bit...

So, you need a drying box. Very sophisticated you will need a closed box with a fan at the top and vents at the base to move air through it and a 40 to 60 watt light bulb to provide a bit of warmth.
Mellerware_Bilto_50cb113f9599b.jpg

Attached flash one or one can simply use a cardboard box, bedside lamp and small fan.

Then get a good rump (do not used corned meat) I just buy cut rump steaks makes it easy to keep a steady flow. Crappy meat = crappy biltong

Fill a shallow dish with white vinegar place the meat in for a few seconds then turn over and leave for a few more seconds. Remove and place in or sprinkle over seasoning (I buy a Freddy Hirsch spice mix from South African shop) then place in a sealed container for 2-4 hours pouring out fluids here and there (prevents fluids ending up at the bottom of your drying box).
Then hang in your flash or not so flash box for 2-4 days (longer for thick or dry).

Hugh Fearnley-Poshbloke even has a recipe on the C4 website - http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/biltong-recipe - but there are many others out there, even one on a B&B site - in this case "Braai & Biltong" :) http://braaiandbiltong.co.za/2011/03/traditional-biltong-recipe/ - typically boils down to salt (coarse), cracked peppercorns, cracked coriander seed and that's about it. Some go for white vinegar for the wash/dip, some (particularly Americans) swear by cider vinegar... horses for courses.

Bechet45 said:
You got any of that biltong you need a hand with, Gazza? I'd sure be happy to help you out!

My mate is back in Pretoria for a birthday/christening fortunately timed
coincidence so I'm sure I'll be resupplied soon.

Swap you for curry'n'chips in a polystyrene tray , which is the national convenience food where I'm from.

Picture081.jpg

Quick update (with pics)...

Picture 1 a close up... 50 hours in (you can see the (heater) bulb reflected in the side wall and some of the coriander husks that have fallen off during drying on the 'drip' tray [attachment=10178]

Picture 2 a top down shot of the action (coriander droppings more obvious) [attachment=10179]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397582479555.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397582479555.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1397582491332.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397582491332.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 33
Interested in how this turns out. I lived in Africa as a kid, none that I have tried in this country come close, a butchers shop nearby produce their own that comes quite close though

I was going to ask ... isn't it just a box with a lightbulb?

After a couple of visits now to Iceland, I find myself really enjoying Hardfiskkur - wind dried thin slices of cod, served with butter. I fancy drying off my own somehow, but not having an arctic north atlantic wind available, I wondered about these driers. Perhaps fish doesn't take to this process - I mean, left slightly warm for 50 hours. Hmmm ...

Re: RE: DIY Biltong

pjgh said:
I was going to ask ... isn't it just a box with a lightbulb?

How dare you... This is a high tech box with a lightbulb *and a fan* :D

There are those that do fish apparently... Perhaps the key there is to do it in the shed and omit the bulb? Real reason I'm only doing ½kg for starters is to get my eye in and make sure I don't end up with a ton of rancid beef (both for odour and pecuniary reasons)

Back
Top Bottom