Do I use an aftershave before a post shave balm

Hi everyone.

Just new to DE shaving and also just joined the forum as well, so apologise if I've posted in the wrong section.

I'm pretty new to DE shaving and wondered if there is a right or wrong way to use aftershave and post shave balm?

By that I mean, is the right way to use aftershave, to splash it on after I have finished my shave and before I use the post shave balm?

Or do I use the post shave balm and then use the aftershave?

Or do I use one or the other and not both?

It would be the Proraso green aftershave and Proraso green post shave balm.

It's worth experimenting with combinations, but keep in mind that fragrance can be a skin irritant - plus too much product will block your skin pores... leading to spots.

Some products don't mix well together (as you are basically carrying out a chemistry experiment on your face!)

As with all new products, or combinations, try out a sample on a hidden part of your body, like the underside of your arm, to see if there is any reaction. Better to have a rash there than on your face :)

Stephen

It may seem as it's been answered, but IMHO they don't go together those two, although I see many combine them for whatever reasons I don't fully understand.

A good splash should negate the need for a balm, and vice versa. If you feel you need to apply a balm after a splash, perhaps said splash is ineffective or simply doesn't negotiate very well with your skin. If it's the scent from the splash you're after, I'd apply a face cream (or balm) and then get the EdT/EdC/EdP version of the scent you like and use that instead of combining two products that do the same.

But in the end it's your shave, so enjoy it the way you feel makes most fun. :)

I heard an interview with an expert on fragrances and their effect on the human body recently.
He recommended putting perfume on clothes only.
When asked if he personally would put any products containing any fragrances directly on his skin he answered something like "Hell, no. Never. I'm not crazy!!"
I found his advice interesting, but I'm ignoring it...

I heard an interview with an expert on fragrances and their effect on the human body recently.
He recommended putting perfume on clothes only.
When asked if he personally would put any products containing any fragrances directly on his skin he answered something like "Hell, no. Never. I'm not crazy!!"
I found his advice interesting, but I'm ignoring it...

Was he a vegan and had bells on his boots as well? :D

It may seem as it's been answered, but IMHO they don't go together those two, although I see many combine them for whatever reasons I don't fully understand.

A good splash should negate the need for a balm, and vice versa. If you feel you need to apply a balm after a splash, perhaps said splash is ineffective or simply doesn't negotiate very well with your skin. If it's the scent from the splash you're after, I'd apply a face cream (or balm) and then get the EdT/EdC/EdP version of the scent you like and use that instead of combining two products that do the same.

I agree.

Agred. I use either, depending on how my skin feels and the climatic conditions.

I shave (usually) every two days. After a shave I use a balm, then an EDT.

On the day off I use a moisturiser. I own 2 aftershaves- Old Spice and Pinaud Clubman. But I hardly use them.

I use an alum block for the antiseptic effect, then the balm to moisturize, and the EDTfor scent. I can't see what an aftershave can add to that combination.

I was told by a Consultant Dermatologist that you should NEVER put alcohol based aftershave or cologne on freshly shaved skin as it causes the skin to shrivel and causes it to dry out. Just use a balm to help moisturise the skin as shaving removes some of the skins oils.

I shave (usually) every two days. After a shave I use a balm, then an EDT.

On the day off I use a moisturiser. I own 2 aftershaves- Old Spice and Pinaud Clubman. But I hardly use them.

I use an alum block for the antiseptic effect, then the balm to moisturize, and the EDTfor scent. I can't see what an aftershave can add to that combination.
Not everyone uses or is aware of allum. I also have very greasy skin, so this alcohol is bad for you propaganda is definitely not applicable.

Back
Top Bottom