Do you let your brush dry thoroughly?

If you are lucky enough to have enough brushes to rotate,...Is it advisable to let them dry off completely or doesn't it matter?
Obviously if you only have one brush and shave daily, it's a moot point but given the opportunity, what is best?

Last edited:
If you are lucky enough to have enough brushes to rotate,...Is it advisable to let them dry off completely or doesn't it matter?
Obviously if you only have one brush and shave daily, it's a moot point but given the opportunity, waht is best?
It is best if possible to let your brush dry out between shaves unless it's synthetic, where it does not matter. It's best if you want your brush to last as long as possible to have more than one so you can always completely dry your brush out. If it's not a synth .

It is best if possible to let your brush dry out between shaves unless it's synthetic, where it does not matter. It's best if you want your brush to last as long as possible to have more than one so you can always completely dry your brush out. If it's not a synth .
Cheers BM,...Appreciated, as always.

My grandpa had one brush, he used it daily. IMO it's important to let your brush dry thoroughly before putting it away in a cupboard but mine get used daily for as many days as I feel like using that brush, then it's allowed to dry properly before it's put away.

It's a common thing on fora to insist that brushes are rotated but seemingly its fine not to if you only have one, and I've never seen anyone post that their brush did anything weird as a result.

My Grandfather only had one brush and shaved every day, needless to say at the 20 year mark the brush was looking a little worse for wear.
If he had two or more brushes and rotated them I suspect that his brush would have lasted longer.
It's just like having leather soled shoes, it is recommended that you don't wear them two days in a row, this is to give them enough time to dry out properly therefore they will last longer.
Any organic material will start to rot if not properly dried out before the next use. :)

I give my brushes a quick rub on the towel after I rinse them off and leave them dry on top of my chest of drawers for however long, usually at least 24 hours before I put them away. I more often than not use a different brush each day but if I fancied it I would use it consecutively without worry.

A tip I pinched off @Kevy is to store your brushes in an empty toilet roll tube to help the knot keep its shape, also makes storing them a bit easier as you can line them up like little soldiers.

My brushes stay on the bathroom windowsill until dry then into my shaving shelf by the sink. The advantage about drying them separately is that SWMBO doesn't see them all in one place :D

My Grandfather only had one brush and shaved every day, needless to say at the 20 year mark the brush was looking a little worse for wear.
If he had two or more brushes and rotated them I suspect that his brush would have lasted longer.
It's just like having leather soled shoes, it is recommended that you don't wear them two days in a row, this is to give them enough time to dry out properly therefore they will last longer.

Any organic material will start to rot if not properly dried out before the next use. :)
This ^^^ :)

For years I had but one shaving brush and being a stickler for shaving every day the brush never completely dried. Today, however, I somehow have 36 brushes and use a different one everyday so each brush does dry completely. The only time I use the same brush on consecutive days is when I travel, but in this case I take a synthetic, which dries very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom