ER/GEM Pushbutton SE

Hi
Recently got this pushbutton SE and I have been reading up on the Web that Ever Ready and Gem amalgamated in the early part of the 20th Century. Looking at this razor they are obviously still shown together on a much later razor !
I'm getting rather confused, so ---
Two questions for the experts :
Is this a 1950's Gem Featherweight / Pushbutton ?
When did Gem and Ever Ready completely divorce, i.e. with separate names on their products ?
P1060853_zpsk9i2itbb.jpg

P1060847_zpsa5xitn8t.jpg

P1060851_zps1nibk3jk.jpg

Many thanks

Yes..Its a GEM Push Button from that Era..The Company Names After the Amalgamation were Most Often Used Separately or in this Case Interchangeably..As Mentioned Above Ever Ready was Originally a Brit Company & Was Very Common on UK Made Feather Weights..Or Natural Angle Razors as they Called them..:)

Billy

Yes..Its a GEM Push Button from that Era..The Company Names After the Amalgamation were Most Often Used Separately or in this Case Interchangeably..As Mentioned Above Ever Ready was Originally a Brit Company & Was Very Common on UK Made Feather Weights..Or Natural Angle Razors as they Called them..:)

Billy
Why do you say Ever Ready was originally a Brit company? AFAIK and read It was founded by Reichard and Schuber in Manhattan in 1905 (superceding the Yankee name) before becoming a part of ASR in 1906.
6dd2ad7509b0ebbe3a8e57a62b24dc0a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The Original Plants were Opened in England I Believe..o_O

Billy
The earliest adverts for the Ever Ready lather catcher indicated London and Hamburg offices but the razor carried American patents, (Scheuber being from New Jersey). Even if there were British plants (which obviously there were by 1909) the company was American .

Dont Start that Again..:eek:

There was an Ever Ready Plant in England on 1901 because I Found the Patents Pending for the Ever Ready 1909 Sometime Ago..When the Ever Ready Company was Set Up in the USA it Took the Name form the English Plant he Had Amalgamated with the USA One in 1905..The Brother have Tried to Wipe this from History..o_O

This & Other Stuff Angered Ever Ready in England for Many Years Including the Scheuber Bros Blatant Copy of the Ever Ready 1909 with the New Improved 1924 which they Gave the English Plant No Credit for..They Also Produced the English Designed 1924 in the USA Plants & Not in England..:)

The Plant in England Refused to Make New Improved 1912s in 1920 in Protest at these Underhanded Deeds..They Finally Succumbed in 1930..;)

Source..My Head After Years of Research..:D

Billy

"This & Other Stuff Angered Ever Ready in England for Many Years Including the Scheuber Bros Blatant Copy of the Ever Ready 1909 with the New Improved 1924 which they Gave the English Plant No Credit for.."

I don't understand this. De Mesquita was the original patent applicant for the Shovelhead design in both UK and US. He was also an executive of ASR. In what way was credit being denied to "the English" when ASR produced the razor in the US?

"This & Other Stuff Angered Ever Ready in England for Many Years Including the Scheuber Bros Blatant Copy of the Ever Ready 1909 with the New Improved 1924 which they Gave the English Plant No Credit for.."

I don't understand this. De Mesquita was the original patent applicant for the Shovelhead design in both UK and US. He was also an executive of ASR. In what way was credit being denied to "the English" when ASR produced the razor in the US?
I just found this in an obituary of J. B. de Mesquita:
Brooklyn Daily Eagle said:
In 1902, with Joseph Kaufman, he acquired the American Safety Razor Company, which manufactured the Ever Ready safety razor and, during the early 1900s, they purchased the Star and Gem safety razor companies. In 1908 he returned to England for a year to form the Ever Ready Razor Products, Ltd., and set up a factory for foreign production.
Julius Bueno de Mesquita was an interesting character and luckily, because of his unusual name, it's not too difficult to find documents about him.

I hadn't seen any info about him being involved in buying ASR with Kaufman before
I have unearthed so much stuff about the guy I could write his biography.
(Still looking for documents about his second marriage :D)
Is that Sophie or Bertha? I let my Ancestry.com membership lapse. Does look like an interesting family history.

Is that Sophie or Bertha? I let my Ancestry.com membership lapse. Does look like an interesting family history.

Bertha died in 1937. In 1942 his son Edwin is next of kin. By 1947 he is married to Sophie, but I can't find a record of the wedding, neither in the US nor the UK.
Maybe I should try ancestry.com. Nope... $35/month for access to international records. Ouch. Maybe I'll make good use of the 14-day free trial when I'm less busy one day. Until then familysearch.com will have to do. Newspaper records are a good source on Julius.
Julius Bueno de Mesquita is the easiest to research. Because of the name and because of his prominent position in the industry (he was in charge of A.S.R. for quite some time and a very wealthy man) and he travelled a lot leaving immigration records left and right.
Here are some pictures from 1920,1949 and 1954:
JuliusBuenoDeMesquita.png JuliusBuenoDeMesquita1949-2.png JuliusBuenoDeMesquita1954.png
The Kampfes, Rodrigues and Scheuber are much more difficult. Mostly census records.

Back
Top Bottom