Euthymol toothpaste, opinions?

A couple of months ago, I was looking for toothpaste in a metal tube. Something to add to the ambiance of my shave Den, so to speak. In the U.S., it seems as though all toothpastes come in plastic tubes, so in desperation I turned to Amazon...where I found Euthymol. $10.89 + free shipping from the U.K. for a three pack.

Once I got over the taste, (decades of mint and cinnamon being the only flavor choices will do that to a person) I really liked it. The added cachet of it being a 100+ year old brand doesn't hurt either. My mother and older brother have also switched over to using Euthymol toothpaste too.

How popular is Euthymol in the U.K.? Here in the U.S. it is non-existant, save perhaps a few old pharmacies in Chicago and New York. Does anyone here use it?

+2 on Marvis. The tubes are plastic but look metallic - and have a cap big enough that the tube stands on end easily.

Euthymol is a very old paste, popular after the last war and possibly before but I wasn't around. As I remember it, it fell out of fashion because of the damage to enamel that the grit was causing. Do they leave that out now?

+2 on Marvis. The tubes are plastic but look metallic - and have a cap big enough that the tube stands on end easily.

Euthymol is a very old paste, popular after the last war and possibly before but I wasn't around. As I remember it, it fell out of fashion because of the damage to enamel that the grit was causing. Do they leave that out now?

No grit to it now. A mate of mine's dad is a dentist, and my mate uses it, so it can't be bad.

I've used Marvis before. I like the design and taste (of most of the flavors), but the tube is plastic and it's also quite expensive.

There's retro old fashioned, and then there's "it's been that way for 100 years, why change now" old fashioned. I've seen advertisements for Euthymol Tooth Powder as early as 1899, and they used the same logo.

Last edited:
As Bechet said, it used to be a very coarse, gritty toothpaste, akin to Eucryl tooth powder, which I don't think you have in the US either. It fell form favour and disappeared from the shelves for quite a while, wasn't aware they'd changed the ingredients, but it's not advertised, to my knowledge, so I think has something of a niche following.

Regards,
Chris

As Bechet said, it used to be a very coarse, gritty toothpaste, akin to Eucryl tooth powder, which I don't think you have in the US either. It fell form favour and disappeared from the shelves for quite a while, wasn't aware they'd changed the ingredients, but it's not advertised, to my knowledge, so I think has something of a niche following.

Regards,
Chris

There is a review here which explains the formula change. I wouldn't agree in while the latest review as I find the taste the same as before, ( may be just me ).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euthymol-2618148-Original-Toothpaste-75ml/product-reviews/B000KU720Q

Last edited:
My understanding is that the formula was changed to comply with EU regulations. It disappeared from the market for about a year while it was being reformulated. I never tried the old formula, but I'm quite pleased with the current one, so I don't feel the loss. :)

Surreal but certainly cool website!
The Marvis website used to be much, much cooler. When the brand first launched, the website consisted of a 3D "hall" with display cases containing the tubes of toothpaste. As you viewed each one, special effects occurred. For example, the mint's case frosted over. Jasmine's case had a jasmine bush grow along the outside, etc.

Back
Top Bottom