Extro Cosmesi Barocco

Hi all, I thought I'd post some opinions about a Christmas acquisition, bought from Executive Shaving (link) at the same time as getting my dad one of their Big Jock shaving brushes (they weren't joking about the 'big').

I'm one of those odd sorts who likes to splash on a bit of alcohol after a shave. I expect my main fragrance to come from the EDT I'm wearing, so what I'm really looking for is something to smell pleasant for a few minutes and then fade off. I generally like something with a little bit of menthol and ideally some moisturising oils to condition the skin. Historically, my go-to was DR Harris Marlborough and I'm also a fan of the performance of Proraso's Red Sandalwood splash.

Anyway, the Barocco is an excellent performer in terms of skin conditioning - it's got exactly the right mix of alcohol and oils to close the pores and leave skin feeling soft and nourished. There is menthol there as well, which I find cooling and soothing.

In terms of fragrance, however, it's been a bit of a surprise. The website (google translate from Italian) describes it as:

Fruity and elegant notes for this after shave eau de toilette Barocco. lily of the valley, lilac, rose and violet, well balanced by the ozone and wood component, make the bouquet exclusive and original. like all after shave extro 'Barocco can be used as a perfume.
olfactory pyramid:

• head: peach, bergamot, green, woody
  • Heart: lilac, rose, violet, ozonica
  • Background: Musk, wood, amber
Well, I would say that I agree with the comment about it being usable as a perfume - this stuff has serious staying power. Having splashed it on in the morning, I still get scents of it heading to bed at midnight. Not overpowering, but definitely there.

However, where I struggle somewhat, is in terms of what it actually smells like. To me (and my wife agrees), it's out and out Fabric Softener. I really don't get the hints of wood or anything green at all.

From my perspective, it's not really a winner - which is a shame given the performance. Ironically, if the scent didn't last so well, I'd be quite happy to stick with it - it doesn't smell unpleasant, just not what I'm looking for. The fact that it hangs around and clashes with my EDT means that I probably won't use it often.

That said, I know that some people really love the smell of fresh washing, and if you're one of those people, then this could* be for you. It's only £12 a bottle, so was definitely worth a punt. Given the performance, I will likely try something else from the range.

* Can't guarantee that we use the same fabric softener!

extro-barocco-aftershave.jpg

Back
Top Bottom