Extro Pirate.

Bore da pawb - Good morning all!

Right, here goes. This is my first 'proper' review so let me know where I could improve. Any constructive criticism will be greatly received.

Pirate_clipped_rev_1__79271.1488834439.jpg

Overview and scent

I was fortunate enough to receive a bottle of this through a BST group, new and unused as an unwanted gift. Needless to say it wouldn't have cost me a whole lot more buying it from a vendor, but I thought I'd give it a go for the slight discount available.

Having tried Extro Bay Rum (EBR herein), briefly 'reviewing' it in a thread you may (or may not) have seen, I had high expectations for this. It is described as follows;

Extro Pirate Aftershave is a classic old school fragrance, fresh and spicy, opening with Sicilian Lemon and Bergamot on a Fern, Jasmine and Cinnamon heart finished off with a woodsy Cedarwood, Sandalwood and Patchouli base.

I have to admit, I didn't get a huge amount of this initially. It is strongly alcoholic to open, akin to alcohol hand gel, immediately after applying but this does carry some fresh tones. Fortunately, the alcohol quickly fades and leaves a bit more scent to the palate. I would put this scent in a similar class to Myrsol Blue and/or Floid Mentolado Vigoroso, though it seems to be a hybrid of the two, weakened. It is fresh, however. An entirely inoffensive, familiar smell.

As time went on, I noted that I wasn't catching strong whiffs of it despite it being applied to my face/neck/wrists, unlike the EBR. With this offering I had to make a conscious effort to catch the smell, having to bring my hands/wrists to my face to be able to appreciate it fully.

It dries down to a somewhat spicy, mainly floral base, in which I can only unequivocally note citrus and jasmine. It is faint and springy. The spice coming through is duller still, but removes some of the femininity of the profile. Further to this, I would say it is effeminate, but there's enough scope for either gender to wear it comfortably.

Ingredients

As for ingredients, most fail me at the time of writing, though I did note petrolatum (vaseline) in the list which I feel, personally, is notable on application. It is somewhat 'slippery' in feel, though doesn't feel greasy and dries quickly to leave soft skin. I would say this is where Extro Pirate excels. I tried it yesterday after a rather rough, raw shave (my own doing) and it wasn't hugely uncomfortable despite my incompetencies.

Conclusion

It is one that, I personally feel, would not be entirely suited to the autumn/winter months. I will be reserving this one for spring-time, should it eventually hit me here in the South of Wales. It's a little early for me to judge this one to it's full extent, having only tried it a handful of times, but I estimate that I will be using more per application than some of my other aftershaves (EBR, Fine L'orange Noir, Myrsol Blue, Floid MV...). It leaves you feeling soft, fresh and clean. Not much sillage and, although some residual scent is present, dulls quickly. I may leave it in the car for a pick-me-up when the weather, hopefully, picks up. I cannot say with any certainty at this point whether I would purchase it again, though I'd probably see my money better spent elsewhere.

That was useful, Ben. Following your previous prompt to investigate Extro in another thread, I did look at the Pirate but it was (maybe still is?) out of stock.

Following your review I think I'll give it a miss. You just saved me a tenner or more. Much obliged :)

The sample of EBR is, however, still finding favour ... but if you didn't like Tea Tree Oil you might not be so keen.

Thanks for your input... most helpful.

That was useful, Ben. Following your previous prompt to investigate Extro in another thread, I did look at the Pirate but it was (maybe still is?) out of stock.

Following your review I think I'll give it a miss. You just saved me a tenner or more. Much obliged :)

The sample of EBR is, however, still finding favour ... but if you didn't like Tea Tree Oil you might not be so keen.

Thanks for your input... most helpful.
Quite alright - If I get, let's say, half-way through and still can't enjoy it to it's full extent, I might look to purchase more eyedropper bottles and see who else wants to try. That will be down the line, however! :)

That is true, the tea-tree is a strong starter with the EBR. That being said, it does fade nicely and you get the rest of the scents coming through. It's complex, spicy, sweet, herby and very well-rounded in my opinion. Glad I could help!

I'm also interested in the Extro Positano and Extro Dandy based on their scent profiles. Maybe I'll get round to them one day...

Nice one Ben. Appreciate the comparisons to scents with which I'm familiar, Myrsol & Floid, gives me an idea of where we're headed with this one.

JohnnyO. o/
I've tried it again today, dousing myself in it. It's quite familiar to open and similar florals to Myrsol and Floid. Post-dog-walk, I had a nice whiff of citrus tones. Now, only circa 1.5h later, I'm getting mainly dulled florals (jasmine) and some residual spice/lemon to detract from femininity as mentioned above.

In short, it's a nice one for smelling 'clean'. It certainly doesn't waft around, doesn't particularly last, is quite subtle but leaves you feeling fresh. It is exceptional in regards to skin-feel, however.

Back
Top Bottom