This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fine tuning your shave.

Discussion in 'DE Razors' started by Colin Stenburge, Thursday May 17, 2018.

1. I know this will be a personal preference thing so I’m after your thoughts on the following.
    Would you have a medium aggressive razor and when needed make it more aggressive with sharper blades?
    Or an have an aggressive razor and dial it back with less sharp blades as appropriate?
    Thank you.

2. Sid James

Sid James

3. I too would go for a medium assertive razor and. Choose your blades to suit. P.

Colin Stenburge likes this.
  4. Sabre

Sabre

I prefer mild razors, Later Schick Injectors and Krona etc. Then choose a sharp blade if needed.

Bogeyman and Colin Stenburge like this.
  5. I'd prefer a milder razor and a sharper blade.

6. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

In line with general consensus, medium-aggressive with more fine-tunability.

That being said, I go for Gillette Nacets with Medium aggressive razors and that suits me to a tee.

7. Med aggressive razor and use the blade to suit the stubble conditions. I always prefer a two pass/touch up shave, less blade time on the face for me is preferable to more passes with a mild razor/blade combo.

Dansco, SeanC and Colin Stenburge like this.
  8. Bogeyman

Bogeyman

Of course, levels of aggression are very subjective. Many term the Tech & Krona mild when for me they are a perfect medium aggressive.

9. Steve

Steve

Strange isn't it but I find the tech mild and the Krona medium lol,

10. Bogeyman

Bogeyman

I actually nicked myself yesterday morning with a Tech!! My fault entirely. :oops: It's intuitive to shave well with a Krona due to the chamfered doors. The Tech requires more attention for a great shave.

Colin Stenburge likes this.
  11. Dansco

Dansco

+1 this. Eventually you will get to a point where you aren't bothered- blades are blades. You will like the razor you're using but all of your others do the same job.

My favourite DE is my Aristocrat 21, deemed by many to be aggressive. At the moment I'm using my New Long Comb, and i can get a BBS shave with my dad's aluminium Tech.

I have a Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade in now but recently I've used Nacets and 7 O'clock Black blades.

Like Wayne, I use anything where i can be smooth in 2-3 passes. As long as a razor and blade fit that criterion I'm happy. Less sharp blades I won't use as a rule. If i need 3 passes and then touch ups I generally find that too much - irritation occurs.