First DE/'Wet' Shave for a over Month....

As per the title, today I had my first shave with a DE razor in over a month. For over a month or so I didn't shave and grew some kind of beard back which, but for a new passport photo I hacked off with clippers last week on the 8th of January and since then I've been using a BIC disposable razor/Nivea foam.

For the large part of this duration, I've been having some issues with depression and the urge to shave had largely gone and when I used the BIC/foam it was just down to getting the job done.

I've using a DE razor/wet shaving for around 2 and a half years and I found starting the day with a shave it'd have a beneficial impact irrespective of however small, there was one nonetheless. In addition I found it was a good thing to start the day with making myself be as presentable as is as possible. I find the degree of choice and variables be it different soaps, razors, blades and so on make the experience one to enjoy and not just one to partake without noticing it, like the many other tasks undertaken in the day.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is, but I think if there is one it would be state that wet shaving can be seen to be a great alternative to using carts/etc but I'd like to make the point that even if wet shaving might not make a huge difference to the state of one's mind/being it can make a slight difference and sometimes even the slightest of differences counts.

I've been wet shaving for just over a year. It was a pretty bad year for my mental health, but the shaving has provided a bit of "me" time that seems to ground me. Even on camping holidays, I've had a daily wet shave, including my head.

Please don't suffer depression alone, talk to people and seek medical help. I started the year with a CBT course, while having a very difficult time. I'm now on Citalapram and it has done me the world of good.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

@donnie_arko
Put your name down for the newbie box. Whilst you're not technically a newbie, I think getting you back into shaving again justifies it.

In case you're not aware, it's a box of various soaps, creams, razors, blades etc to try. All you have to pay for is postage to the next person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: abj
Thanks to all who liked my initial post and replied.

I've been wet shaving for just over a year. It was a pretty bad year for my mental health, but the shaving has provided a bit of "me" time that seems to ground me. Even on camping holidays, I've had a daily wet shave, including my head.

Please don't suffer depression alone, talk to people and seek medical help. I started the year with a CBT course, while having a very difficult time. I'm now on Citalapram and it has done me the world of good.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad year with your mental health, and here's to hoping 2019 will be better. Good to hear your daily shaves have given you a bit of time to ground yourself, I know exactly what you mean.

How are you finding your CBT course? I've been doing one as well and I'm not entirely sure what to think of it, the one which I am doing (A CBT course for dealing with Social Anxiety) seems a bit like it is catered for those trying to deliver a presentation in their office.

Good to hear the Citalapram is working for you. I've been on and off relevant medication for a while and it does make a difference.

@Mbarn
Thanks for the offer, I may well take it some stage. At this moment in time I am somewhat overwhelmed by the great choice of shaving gear I have already amassed but it could be good to have a few more options (when I PIF some things!).

I went into the CBT with a lot of scepticism. It coincided with a big worry in my life, but probably helped me get through that.

Overall, I think it helped, but it does need working at. Going back over the coursework is essential to, not so much dtum it in, but more to change fifty odd years of a particular way of thinking.

One thing that springs to mind is the fact that every other interaction with other people is a small part of your life, your thoughts are there 24/7 which is why we give more weight to our bad thoughts than anything positive said about us.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I went into the CBT with a lot of scepticism. It coincided with a big worry in my life, but probably helped me get through that.

Overall, I think it helped, but it does need working at. Going back over the coursework is essential to, not so much dtum it in, but more to change fifty odd years of a particular way of thinking.

One thing that springs to mind is the fact that every other interaction with other people is a small part of your life, your thoughts are there 24/7 which is why we give more weight to our bad thoughts than anything positive said about us.

Thanks again for the reply.

I couldn't agree more about being with one's thoughts all the time and giving more weight to negative thoughts than positive thoughts.

I think you're bang on about having to work with CBT to get the best out of it, especially for trying to get out of the rut of keeping on with negative thoughts and actions.

Back
Top Bottom