First post here and Time to hone my technique

Hello one and all.

I am relatively new to the DE shaving but I am finding that I am suddenly enjoying shaving more than I ever have before. As is so often the way when we find something new we dive straight in and buy a few different things and products. If only I had done a little homework first I may have gone about this slightly differently but I am ready to really concentrate on honing my technique.

I currently own 3 razors. EJ DE89, Merkur Progress and a TTO which was my first purchase and I am not sure what make it even is.

I have bought a few different brushes. An Erasmic Boar, Van der Hagen Luxury Badger brush (cheap as chips) and a EJ Traveling Best badger brush.

Creams and Soaps consist of TOBS coconut and Sandalwood. Cella, Erasmic shaving soap.

I have a selection of blades including Astra, Personna, Voskhod, Feather, Perma sharp and Shark SS.

The plan in just to pick one combination for the next few weeks to hone my technique. I have in mind where I think I may be going with this but all advice appreciated.

My thoughts are the Merkur Progress set on 2 or 3
The VDH Badger brush
TOBS Coconut
Either Astra SP or Personna platinum blade

First shave will be tomorrow.

Hello one and all.

I am relatively new to the DE shaving but I am finding that I am suddenly enjoying shaving more than I ever have before. As is so often the way when we find something new we dive straight in and buy a few different things and products. If only I had done a little homework first I may have gone about this slightly differently but I am ready to really concentrate on honing my technique.

I currently own 3 razors. EJ DE89, Merkur Progress and a TTO which was my first purchase and I am not sure what make it even is.

I have bought a few different brushes. An Erasmic Boar, Van der Hagen Luxury Badger brush (cheap as chips) and a EJ Traveling Best badger brush.

Creams and Soaps consist of TOBS coconut and Sandalwood. Cella, Erasmic shaving soap.

I have a selection of blades including Astra, Personna, Voskhod, Feather, Perma sharp and Shark SS.

The plan in just to pick one combination for the next few weeks to hone my technique. I have in mind where I think I may be going with this but all advice appreciated.

My thoughts are the Merkur Progress set on 2 or 3
The VDH Badger brush
TOBS Coconut
Either Astra SP or Personna platinum blade

First shave will be tomorrow.
Welcome to TSR David,
Progress on 2-3, Astra SP, brush and cream/soap of your choice, should be fine, good prep, take your time, relax and enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Hi,
A welcome to TSR from the Highlands of Scotland.

Astra SP are my favorite blade. I started with a EJ86, same head as the EJ89 just a different handle. Great for learning technique. As Blademonkey said, good prep, relax and enjoy.

Andy.

Well I think I have had my best shave so far since starting down this path. I hope it isn't just a one off.

I decided on the Progress set on 2.5 with an Astra SP Blade. Oddly I feel like I have achieved a closer shave with it set at 2.5 than I did at 3. I realise that shouldn't make sense.

I used the VDH mens luxury brush which was picked up for me last time I was in the States and I think it was about $20. For such a cheap brush I was able to get a great lather with TOBS coconut cream. I do think I used slightly more product than I have in the past but not by much.

I had a couple of weepers in the usual places I get them being lower left neck and adam's apple.

My grip was lighter than I feel I have held it in the past and I tried to just let it glide as I guide.

I only did two passes with a couple of touch ups. I am genuinely amazed in the results.

Was going to attach a pic of first lather and aftershave pic but not sure how to add photos to the post.

Well I think I have had my best shave so far since starting down this path. I hope it isn't just a one off.

I decided on the Progress set on 2.5 with an Astra SP Blade. Oddly I feel like I have achieved a closer shave with it set at 2.5 than I did at 3. I realise that shouldn't make sense.

I used the VDH mens luxury brush which was picked up for me last time I was in the States and I think it was about $20. For such a cheap brush I was able to get a great lather with TOBS coconut cream. I do think I used slightly more product than I have in the past but not by much.

I had a couple of weepers in the usual places I get them being lower left neck and adam's apple.

My grip was lighter than I feel I have held it in the past and I tried to just let it glide as I guide.

I only did two passes with a couple of touch ups. I am genuinely amazed in the results.

Was going to attach a pic of first lather and aftershave pic but not sure how to add photos to the post.
Nice one, I'm pleased it went well for you, as for the pictures.....using the device you used to take the picture, be it an iPad or phone press upload file at the bottom of the page and then select the picture you want and then select and you will see a thumb nail picture pop up then press full size picture and bobs your uncle!! :) type in any text after full size picture is seen.

Actually Just tried something else and it says uploads are not available. Maybe because I am a new member perhaps.
I notice "Upload a file" button (next to Post Reply) does not appear in the Welcome forum. It does appear in all the other forums. Must be a restriction just for this forum but I cannot see the reasoning for it.
My suggestion; start a new thread or post to an existing thread in the general shaving forum or maybe Shave of the day (SOTD) forum.

Last edited:
I notice "Upload a file" button (next to Post Reply) does not appear in the Welcome forum. It does appear in all the other forums. Must be a restriction just for this forum but I cannot see the reasoning for it.
My suggestion; start a new thread or post to an existing thread in the general shaving forum or maybe Shave of the day (SOTD) forum.

Thanks I will try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Managed to add pics on another thread.
Newbie S.O.T.D. 31st March 2017 (follow up to First post here and Time to hone my technique)

Back
Top Bottom