First Proper Shave

So I finally finished all my Mach 3 carts and received my shiny new EJ DE89L today (beautiful) and my pack of 50 sample blades which consisted of:

5 x Astra 'Green' Superior Platinum
5 x Astra 'Blue' Superior Stainless
5 x Perma-Sharp
5 x Derby Extra
10 x SuperMax
5 x Shark Stainless
5 x Bluebird Platinum
10 x Dorco Prime Platinum

Which blade might be best for my very first "proper" shave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I finally finished all my Mach 3 carts and received my shiny new EJ DE89L today (beautiful) and my pack of 50 sample blades which consisted of:

5 x Perma-Sharp
5 x Derby Extra
10 x SuperMax
5 x Shark Stainless
5 x Bluebird Platinum

I would recommend the Astra SP ( GREEN )

good luck !!!

So I finally finished all my Mach 3 carts and received my shiny new EJ DE89L today (beautiful) and my pack of 50 sample blades...

Welcome to manhood:

w3qW4Jx.jpg

5 x Perma-Sharp
5 x Derby Extra
10 x SuperMax
5 x Shark Stainless
5 x Bluebird Platinum

Well done, I hope you have some proper soap to use with that fine razor :) Astra SP (green) is a good starting point and you can't go wrong with some OSP shaving soap, imo! :)

Well done, I hope you have some proper soap to use with that fine razor :) Astra SP (green) is a good starting point and you can't go wrong with some OSP shaving soap, imo! :)

Yep, probs Proraso Green or maybe a Palmolive stick. I'll give the Astra Green's a go and see how it goes [emoji846]Hopefully my face is still in one piece tomorrow [emoji23]

Still in one piece. Not bad for a first effort I think.
Three passes and pick ups. One small nick on my neck. Thought I might not need my alum but it weeped a bit. Quick dab sorted it out.
I think I was possibly a little too light in places and found maintaining angle a little more difficult shaving sideways than up and down. Having said that I think my neck is better than I was getting with carts but left a spot under my chin that I wouldn't usually.
Nothing to be scared of though...no blood bath [emoji846][emoji106]

Watch out for overconfidence on shave no.3! That's when I really tore flesh off.

You could have said that an hour ago!! Yeah I think I was a little too "firm" today as I felt a little too light yesterday whereas I think it was more maintaining the right angle in certain areas that was the problem.
Result was a few more nicks but it's more razor burn on my neck and lower jaw area that is the problem. Bit slower and more gentle tomorrow methinks

You could have said that an hour ago!! Yeah I think I was a little too "firm" today as I felt a little too light yesterday whereas I think it was more maintaining the right angle in certain areas that was the problem.
Result was a few more nicks but it's more razor burn on my neck and lower jaw area that is the problem. Bit slower and more gentle tomorrow methinks

Razor burn is my pet hate - fortunately nipped it in the bud early on. Get yourself some witch hazel or aloe vera gel and they'll be your best friend. Both are great for combatting razor burn to some extent. Go light, sir! :)

A razor blade is not to be trifled with. Always treat with respect as they are all very sharp. I like to think of it as 2 components; light pressure perpendicular to the skin and lateral force parallel to the skin which varies between blades and even as the edges degrade.
Don't underestimate the value of good preparation and slick lather which helps the blade glide across the skin. The nicks may open up tomorrow.

Razor burn is my pet hate - fortunately nipped it in the bud early on. Get yourself some witch hazel or aloe vera gel and they'll be your best friend. Both are great for combatting razor burn to some extent. Go light, sir! :)
Most certainly jinxed myself tonight! No proper burn per se, but tingling and redness in a couple of patches... Take it slow and take it light! Fortunately had some witch hazel to hand which has helped out a lot :)

Back
Top Bottom