First Straight

Hi, Looking to buy my first SR or two. Have been ploughing through all those on EB and have no idea what represents a good vintage razor. So would it be best to buy a new bottom of the range HCS Dovo or just take a punt at some vintage razor names I recognise? I would need a cheap one as well to learn honing and stropping techniques plus which of the hones I already own would be suitable, bit of a steep learning curve.
Most grateful for any input.

Calling @Fergiebilly - our resident SR supplier, honer, etc.

He's a knowledgeable chap, Alan, and doesn't charge extortionately for good vintage razors which will be truly shave-ready - he puts a great edge on a straight razor, speaking from experience. I believe he also supplies some cheaper razors which have been honed and are shave-ready. As for strops, follow --> THIS <-- link, there are some good strops available for not huge money. I've got one of the two-sided paddle strops and they're fantastic. Still got it about 10 months in to straight shaving and it's going strong. Get in touch with him and he'll definitely steer you in the right direction.

As for which hones of yours are suitable, run them by Fergiebilly and he'll let you know whether they're suitable or not. If they're more suited for knives (tend to be lower grit, finishing at about 2000 grit) then it's not going to be enough to put a keen enough edge on a razor. You'd need to get up to about 8000 for something which can shave and usually a finishing strop or some lapping film to about 10-16k grit to get a more respectable edge.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Use waterstones finishing at either 3K or 8K for Japanese knives and up to 13K for woodworking tools. Natural stones I have quite an assortment but no idea if they would be suitable as razor finishers it would be a case of try and see, perhaps a good Thuringian would be a sensible buy.
Your link for strops doesn't appear to work, strops I have are all more suited for bench use.

A Good Thuringian Would be a Sensible Buy..They are Easy to Use..A Naniwa 12 K Super Stone is Also a Hard Finisher to Compete with..The Advice I Would Offer is to Learn to Shave & Strop then Think about Stones..:rolleyes:

A Properly Honed SR Wont Need Taken to a Stone for Wee While Anyway..I have a Couple of Vintage Razors Available that have Just Been Honed..PM Me if You are Interested..Vintage Razors are Generally Better Shavers than Modern Dovo SRs..:)

Billy

Get a proper shave ready straight from Fergiebilly but maybe practice stropping on some small blunt knife found in the kitchen so not to risk ruining the keen Fergi-Edge and brand new strop first thing :)

Last edited:
Razor on the way from Fergiebilly. I do strop my kitchen knives routinely after honing and as a touch up but they are a much less acute included angle than a razor.
The key with stropping straights is to lead with the spine. You'll have the spine and edge in contact with the strop to really get that superfine angle neatened up. I'm sure you'll be fine, you sound like you've some experience in similar areas with honing/stropping etc.! :) If I can do it with no prior, similar experience, you sure as hell can!

I made only bad experiences in the past with used or vintage straights honed by members, not from TSR, but from different other forums. Not a single shave was possible even WTG. I am shaving with Dovo and Jaguar shavettes since two years, WTG and ATG and getting with Dovo and Jaguar shavette blades an irritation free BBS.

I don´t want to offend members honing straights, but I will not do this anymore. Best honed straight I get was by professional straight razor manufacturer Ralf Aust and his service still costs only 20 Euro including postage in Germany. My mistake that I dulled the blade by wrong stropping after the third shave. I will send it to Mr. Aust again because he is doing a damn good job. :)

Last edited:
€20 for honing including postage is a good rate for someone you can trust, in my opinion. At the end of the day, Floid has had bad experiences with members honing on another forum. I can personally vouch for Fergiebilly's honing skills having had all of my razors (x5 razors) honed by him at one point or another. All have extremely keen edges throughout the blade and are very capable shavers. That is to say, there's proof in the pudding - I've had good experiences with those recommended, and those who aren't recommended are likely to not get my time or money. Similarly, I've heard no bad reports of a razor honed by Billy. I think the fact everyone has, so far, recommended Billy for honing speaks volumes for those situated in the UK. I believe there is another who's particularly proficient with kamisori-type razors but I've had no need to hone one.

In short, it's not about proving or disproving someone, as there's a large number of variables to take into account. E.g. what makes someone 'professional'? As far as I'm concerned, Billy charges a decent rate for a good service with a great outcome, more than meeting the expectation for someone wanting a shave-ready straight. In my eyes, he's as professional as (if not more than) someone who runs a website or eBay listing for such a service. Furthermore, there are reports of companies who sell and hone straights doing a sub-par job in getting them truly shave-ready.

In the UK, Billy for sure. Elsewhere, your mileage may vary - I'd imagine going for a reputed name such as Ralf Aust is good for the money in Germany.

Buying so called "Ready for use" edge tools for woodworking I know they are anything but and I doubt that a new razor advertised as such will be anything different. Kind of important that my first shave with a straight does not turn in to a bloodbath so get a razor that is truly ready to shave with then it is only my inexperience and lack of technique to blame.
Perfectly confident that I can hone and strop a straight but that will take practice and I need that benchmark of a truly sharp razor. Billy comes well recommended on here and is a good bloke to deal with, certainly would not even consider sending a razor all the way to Germany to get it sharpened I could buy a lot of disposable blades for the postage alone.

Floid doesn't mention Billy at all and he did say there were members from other forums.

Billy's work is known to be excellent by people of this forum and over ATG, possibly others, but the point I wanted to make was that Billy is also very genorous with his time and advise. He has guided me on several issues over the last 7 months, basically since a month after I took up straight razor shaving.

I also received some good advise from Rob_UK (I might be wrong on the user name)he was also spot on with his advise. He sold me my first SR and set me on my way with some good advice.

Billy advised me to get a Thuringian stone and that was such a good piece of advise. I do prefer very sharp blades so after some experimenting I now keep my blades just the way I like them :)

Last edited:
Floid doesn't mention Billy at all and he did say there were members from other forums.

Thanks mate. This was not and is not my intention.
I just had my bad experiences in the past, as I wrote above and will not sharpen my straight or any other straight I will buy in the future by forum members anymore. I think it must be allowed to say that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom