First time using ER 1912

Ive been looking forward to using this razor for weeks now, waiting for GEM blades to make it through the Xmas snail mail.

I found it difficult to find the right angle either too steep or shallow and unfortunate was left with some of the dreaded razor burn.

When I did catch it right I liked the aggressive feel. Think I definitely need more practice with this one, it was pretty tricky negotiating the shape of the razor. Amazed I got away cut free!!

Anyone use this razor regularly? I'm fairly new to DE and SE shaving, only getting in to it in the last couple of weeks, so I'm putting my current neck burn down to that and not this ace looking razor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost flat on the face with a modern GEM blade, or you can shim the blade and then the angle is flat on the face. Works for me - I use a 1912 a lot.
Don't even think about 30 degree angles and such stuff - that's DE razors.
And - as always - NO PRESSURE.

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go that way next time.

The 1912 is a superefficient razor and one of my personal all time favourites.
Take your time and as mentioned no pressure. Good preparation and lather and remember the angle on this SE is totally different to any DE you have used.
Its like everything I suppose the more you practice the better you become at it.

May I ask.
Have you "Mapped" your beard?
In particular the hair around the neck area tends to grow all over the place in different directions, so it is paramount in my opinion that you follow the grain on your first pass. This will prevent neck burn.

Hope this helps and enjoy.
Wayne :)

May I ask.
Have you "Mapped" your beard?
In particular the hair around the neck area tends to grow all over the place in different directions, so it is paramount in my opinion that you follow the grain on your first pass. This will prevent neck burn.

Hope this helps and enjoy.
Wayne :)

Yeah I e worked out the mapping and first pass is always with the grain.

I've got a bit “keen” and suddenly acquired 4 or 5 razors and in wanting to try them out I've used them once and moved to the next one.

Think I need to spend some time with one before going to the next to get used to it. I hadn't realises the subtle differences in SE vs DE shaving either until last night.

I could do with some good cooking / menthol soap or aftershave to leaving a lasting cool feeling on my neck. Even if the shave is good I still feel slight burn. Any recommendations on a soap?

I've got a bit “keen” and suddenly acquired 4 or 5 razors and in wanting to try them out I've used them once and moved to the next one.

Think I need to spend some time with one before going to the next to get used to it. I hadn't realises the subtle differences in SE vs DE shaving either until last night.

I could do with some good cooking / menthol soap or aftershave to leaving a lasting cool feeling on my neck. Even if the shave is good I still feel slight burn. Any recommendations on a soap?

Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus soap and after shave. They do a pre-shave as well and they're reasonably cheap. OSP and Phoenix & Beau do great menthol soaps. At the other end of the economic scale, you have glorious soaps like Santa Maria Novella Toscano Tobacco. There are loads of others.

However, no amount of mentholated products will stop razor burn if you're still getting up to speed with your technique; so all the advice offered above, re. prep and no pressure is sound; especially with the 1912 variants. Also, if you think about shaving off the lather, rather than the bristles. That should be the limit of your pressure.

Witch hazel is good for those occasional outbursts of redness, when they do occur. Thayer's is a good one, as is Humphrey's.

Hope this helps.

Glide the razor over your face. You don't use the comb as a guide, more it's the top cap that should be almost flat to the face. The guard is there to stop you ditching the blade into your face if you do get the angle wrong.

Repeating @riverrun ... NO PRESSURE!!! Pressure will feel like you've made a reasonable attempt at skin grafting. Those blades are seethingly sharp and on the first run will be VERY aggressive. They mellow with use ...

If you want an exciting shave, google "sevette razor": http://www.atgshaving.com/threads/ever-ready-1912-sevette.4983/ < put together by our pal Marcus who posts over on B&B mainly as mjclark

Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus soap and after shave. They do a pre-shave as well and they're reasonably cheap. OSP and Phoenix & Beau do great menthol soaps. At the other end of the economic scale, you have glorious soaps like Santa Maria Novella Toscano Tobacco. There are loads of others.

However, no amount of mentholated products will stop razor burn if you're still getting up to speed with your technique; so all the advice offered above, re. prep and no pressure is sound; especially with the 1912 variants. Also, if you think about shaving off the lather, rather than the bristles. That should be the limit of your pressure.

Witch hazel is good for those occasional outbursts of redness, when they do occur. Thayer's is a good one, as is Humphrey's.

Hope this helps.

Really helps, thank you mate. I'll grab some of the products recommended too.

Glide the razor over your face. You don't use the comb as a guide, more it's the top cap that should be almost flat to the face. The guard is there to stop you ditching the blade into your face if you do get the angle wrong.

Repeating @riverrun ... NO PRESSURE!!! Pressure will feel like you've made a reasonable attempt at skin grafting. Those blades are seethingly sharp and on the first run will be VERY aggressive. They mellow with use ...

If you want an exciting shave, google "sevette razor": http://www.atgshaving.com/threads/ever-ready-1912-sevette.4983/ < put together by our pal Marcus who posts over on B&B mainly as mjclark

Holy sheet! I'm not brave enough to be removing guards just yet! Ha

Aloe Vera gel helps sooth irritation, and doesn't put too much of a dent in your wallet leaving you more money to spend on the myriad of fine artisan soaps !

Get to know one of your shiny razors at a time. The 30 day 'rule' will help you to work out which blades suit you best in each razor.
Good prep is paramount. It's worth taking an extra minute or two
Short strokes and no pressure especially on the neck will see you right.

Last edited:
First ER 1912 shave for me this morning. It went very well. The new PTFE blade is clearly very sharp. I think I got the shave angle mostly OK, but will have to map out my face to find out the best directions for shaving strokes. I got a very close shave.

Compared to my Rockwell 6C it feels good in the hand and shaves just as well
Compared to my ATT SE1 it requires more attention and more strokes, given that an AC blade is 50mm and sails around the face. Balance and feel in the hand is different but as above, I like the weight and balance of the 1912.

Very satisfied, and a much better shave than the PAL Injectomatic I tried a couple of days ago, which I found too light in the hand, plus the Dutch Platinium blade wasn't nearly as sharp as the PTFE. The 1912 enters my rotation now. The PAL definitely doesn't.

These 1912s are plentiful and cheap on eBay and well worth acquiring, especially since the PTFE blades from Connaught are just as economical and sharp as P-30s. This is a really good alternative to DE razors and you get a very high level of performance and all-round feel and ergonomics. They look antique and bulky but that impression evaporates once you have it in your hand and cutting away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom