Flat-lying hairs?

Probably not an isolated issue by any means but one which I've always struggle to work around. The hairs on my neck, especially towards the base, lie exceptionally flat to the point where WTG passes don't actually remove them with a no-pressure approach. I've found that ATG passes are uncomfortable for me; in short, it feels like the blade 'pings' the hairs rather than simply lifting and cutting at the base which is what I would anticipate. This tends to result in blood spots if I do go ATG over those areas. I've tried stretching the skin but that doesn't seem to help much.

What I'm asking is, do you have any suggestions of how to approach these problem-areas? I know this is along the route of 'chasing BBS' but I'm becoming ever-happier with my shaves WTG, and feeling WTG post-shave, but I'm still not overly keen on the feeling ATG. I think it would smart me up a little bit better as well/help me look cleaner.

For your info, I spend a fair amount of time lathering, between about 45 seconds and 1 minute 30 seconds, usually face-lathering now with too much soap so I don't feel the lather is to blame. I've tried varying the angle of the razor so it doesn't seem to be that so much. Only positive experience I've ever had ATG has been with (a) SR's with ATG on the first pass or (b) my Thomas Clipper SS DE with ATG on 3rd pass, which results in a little rawness. Even with both of these scenarios, I tend to end up with maybe one or two very minor weepers and some irritation, regardless of angle/pressure etc.

Thanks in advance for reading this and divulging your hard-earned knowledge! :D

Probably not an isolated issue by any means but one which I've always struggle to work around. The hairs on my neck, especially towards the base, lie exceptionally flat to the point where WTG passes don't actually remove them with a no-pressure approach. I've found that ATG passes are uncomfortable for me; in short, it feels like the blade 'pings' the hairs rather than simply lifting and cutting at the base which is what I would anticipate. This tends to result in blood spots if I do go ATG over those areas. I've tried stretching the skin but that doesn't seem to help much.

What I'm asking is, do you have any suggestions of how to approach these problem-areas? I know this is along the route of 'chasing BBS' but I'm becoming ever-happier with my shaves WTG, and feeling WTG post-shave, but I'm still not overly keen on the feeling ATG. I think it would smart me up a little bit better as well/help me look cleaner.

For your info, I spend a fair amount of time lathering, between about 45 seconds and 1 minute 30 seconds, usually face-lathering now with too much soap so I don't feel the lather is to blame. I've tried varying the angle of the razor so it doesn't seem to be that so much. Only positive experience I've ever had ATG has been with (a) SR's with ATG on the first pass or (b) my Thomas Clipper SS DE with ATG on 3rd pass, which results in a little rawness. Even with both of these scenarios, I tend to end up with maybe one or two very minor weepers and some irritation, regardless of angle/pressure etc.

Thanks in advance for reading this and divulging your hard-earned knowledge! :D
This may work or it may not but this is what I do for problem hairs on my neck ....slant cutting....not with a slant but at a diagonal instead of with or against and using short strokes on the diagonal I find I can eliminate all the hair leaving me BBS even on my problem neck area. I hope this helps but I'm sure others will be happy to give their suggestions also. :)

Understood, so a scything action? I'll give it a go for sure! What's the worst that can happen? ;) I'm open to all and any suggestions at the minute! My neck hair is exceptionally multi-directional as well so that adds another aspect of difficulty;

South to North up centre of neck until circa 1/2" below jawline and along base of neck, North to South thereafter. East to N West LHS, West to N East RHS. Meets N > S and S < N about 1/2" under entirety of jawline, with added W > E or E < W direction. Life would be simpler if it was a mere N > S throughout my neck! :D

Understood, so a scything action? I'll give it a go for sure! What's the worst that can happen? ;) I'm open to all and any suggestions at the minute! My neck hair is exceptionally multi-directional as well so that adds another aspect of difficulty;

South to North up centre of neck until circa 1/2" below jawline and along base of neck, North to South thereafter. East to N West LHS, West to N East RHS. Meets N > S and S < N about 1/2" under entirety of jawline, with added W > E or E < W direction. Life would be simpler if it was a mere N > S throughout my neck! :D
Yes mine is multi directional so I must shave in a multi directional pattern to eliminate all hair growth :)

Well, some times I've got the same problem... Solution? They are so effing flat I can't do anything, except patiently waiting for them to grow longer... and then, shave them as usual...

Don't like having those flat bastards, but...

Everyone has hairs such as this. A good long prep with a facial scrub or cleanser helps tremendously IMO. Also, always use a sharp modern blade and not one used countless times. I always try to lather with the brush in opposite direction of beard growth somewhat when possible so as to lift them and get soap under them. Remember, an ingrown hair is far worse than any leftover stubble. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back
Top Bottom