Gas Leak & Gas meter moving

So it would always happen when I'm away with work and the wife is kicking off about having to look after the dog and juggle work blah blah blah

So I got a call from her in doors yesterday stating someone has reported a gas leak and it's been identified in front of our property. So they need to do the work to fix it and dig up the pavement no problem. The inspector stated it wasn't urgent and posed no danger so work would carry out in a couple of weeks.

Fast forward to today workers have dug up the pavement and are telling my wife they need fit a meter outside the house in a box due to “how thick the wall is” as opposed to putting a sleeve over the pipe. The meter is currently the other side of the wall in a small cupboard.

Is this bollocks? Should I insist they make it fit? Or should I get it moved outside? My main feelings against it are it will look sh*te and the front garden is in no way shape or form level and flat.

So it would always happen when I'm away with work and the wife is kicking off about having to look after the dog and juggle work blah blah blah

So I got a call from her in doors yesterday stating someone has reported a gas leak and it's been identified in front of our property. So they need to do the work to fix it and dig up the pavement no problem. The inspector stated it wasn't urgent and posed no danger so work would carry out in a couple of weeks.

Fast forward to today workers have dug up the pavement and are telling my wife they need fit a meter outside the house in a box due to “how thick the wall is” as opposed to putting a sleeve over the pipe. The meter is currently the other side of the wall in a small cupboard.

Is this bollocks? Should I insist they make it fit? Or should I get it moved outside? My main feelings against it are it will look sh*te and the front garden is in no way shape or form level and flat.
As I understand it, they have to put it where you want it. It involves more work for them so they'll try and give you all that old bollocks!

Can only speak for Scotland where we live. Our gas meter was fitted ( against my wishes ) on the exterior of an outer house wall about 7 or 8 years ago following a gas leak. Fast forward a couple of years and the Board came round, dug up the street to fit plastic type piping and every house in the street got new meters fitted externally, which is now standard practise where I live. It means the meter reader gets to read the meter whether or not anyone is in and checks the meter during dayrime. So, I'd guess that even with smart meters coming down the line the push will be on to externalise all these devices. Judt 'cause it's easier fir the suppliers to carry out work and gain access.

JohnnyO. o/

Back
Top Bottom