Gillette adjustable (slim)

WP_20170120_12_24_19_Pro.jpg

I bought this from ebay.

The good
It all seems to work ok and is fairly clean.
It came with a case

The not so good
One of the pegs of the case lid is snapped off (bit of a shame)
The doors have a large crescent shaped gouge in one of them and a small chip in the plating

Last edited:
It will give me a good idea if I like the style or razor or not.

If I do I think I would like one in great condition. Would this type of damage be easily fixed by re-plating or would I be better off finding other one for that

I have had a Gillette Slim for the last 3 weeks. I like it a lot. However, I have found the challenge that arises from its versatility. There are 9 settings on it, and endless advice as to get the most from them.

Many suggest using a setting pattern of say, 7 (first pass), 5 (second pass), then 3 (third pass). I don't understand this. If there were areas of stubble that didn't get shaved properly after two passes of 7 & 5, quite how a pass on 3 is going to sort that out is beyond me.

Others say, "Put it on a setting that you like, and keep it on that setting for as many passes as you prefer."

I think the most logical approach is to do a pass or two at a lower setting, then for the final grande finale, increase it to 7+, on the basis that the final pass will be at the most aggressive level, thus ensuring the closest shave.

Finally, to answer your question - replating won't fix dents. But there are people who can fix dents. A razor restoration expert may be able to help you. Alternatively, a good quality jeweler or jewellery maker may be able to help.

I have had a Gillette Slim for the last 3 weeks. I like it a lot. However, I have found the challenge that arises from its versatility. There are 9 settings on it, and endless advice as to get the most from them.

Many suggest using a setting pattern of say, 7 (first pass), 5 (second pass), then 3 (third pass). I don't understand this. If there were areas of stubble that didn't get shaved properly after two passes of 7 & 5, quite how a pass on 3 is going to sort that out is beyond me.

Others say, "Put it on a setting that you like, and keep it on that setting for as many passes as you prefer."

I think the most logical approach is to do a pass or two at a lower setting, then for the final grande finale, increase it to 7+, on the basis that the final pass will be at the most aggressive level, thus ensuring the closest shave.

Finally, to answer your question - replating won't fix dents. But there are people who can fix dents. A razor restoration expert may be able to help you. Alternatively, a good quality jeweler or jewellery maker may be able to help.

the damage is not a dent as such, it is an area where the top platting has been scraped away
I know what you mean with a seemingly endless array of cobinations of setting and blades it can seem daunting trying to finding a good setup

well the proof of the pudding ............

I had my first shave with the slim this morning. Being cautious I set it to number 1. My immediate impression was it felt more aggressive than my R89 because I could feel the blade a lot more. It was not a sensation I was happy with as first although the resulting shave was clearly nice. As I used it more it could feel a little tugging. For my last pass I moved the setting to 2 and it felt a lot smoother. The resulting shave was very smooth with no irritation what so ever.

I will need to get used to the feel of the razor and some more experimentation with the setting is needed

Last edited:
I have only ever used 4 or 5 on my slim so far and these both work really well.

I like an aggressive razor so will be trying the slim on some higher settings. Fantastic razor the slim adjustable, mine has some wear and there is some brass showing in a few places but I am not planning to get it re-plated as I love it just the way it is.

A brilliant shaver, one of my favorites.
there is a useful wiki/chart here for the setting aggression
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap
Blade gap isn't everything, however, it gives a decent enough idea.

Likely you will prefer certain blades at different settings too
e.g. with a feather I dial it back to 3 & keep it there, using an Astra I start at 7, then 5, 4 (similar to mowing the lawn)

Anyway, enjoy.

the badger wiki on aggressiveness of razors, needs a lot of work to fix it.

No, I am not a fan of the slim in any way. its a mutilator I cant stand.

Back
Top Bottom