Gillette blades

I usually use Gillette blades in my vintage gillette razors (not sure why but I love them), I have some Polsilver SI on the way and usually use GSB but has anyone used the black suoer platinums? In people's opinion which do they prefer the GSB or blacks?

I've tried all the current Gillette St Petersburg output (with one exception which will be addressed soon) in vintage Gillette razors and would rate the PermaSharp as being on balance the best (sharp, yet smooth). Polsilver SI, Gillette Stainless, & 7 O'clock Sharpedge are all close runners up (the latter in milder razors as imho it's the sharpest current Gillette blade).

I just have tried the Silver Blue, 7'O Clock Sharp Edge and 7'O Clock Super Stainless. Would love to try some historical Gillette blades too.

Hi there,

Yep, you should definitely try vintage Gillette blades. Matter of fact I've been using one dated 1968 for my last three DE shaves and they've been excellent and have used other later dated versions too. Spoiler is a label assigned to the Super Stainless blades in general.

Then you got UK sold Gillettes that are unusually good....forgot what they're called....Swedes maybe.

Man, try old Schick blades too like the Plus Platinum from the 70s with the blue or gray pack. Bunch of nice vintage Wilkinsons to sort through also.

Just about the only time I use a modern blade is loading a Feather in a mild razor, otherwise it's old stuff. Not a bad rabbit hole to just peek into, not expensive but still gratifying using a great old blade.

Martin

Last edited:
I've tried all the current Gillette St Petersburg output (with one exception which will be addressed soon) in vintage Gillette razors and would rate the PermaSharp as being on balance the best (sharp, yet smooth). Polsilver SI, Gillette Stainless, & 7 O'clock Sharpedge are all close runners up (the latter in milder razors as imho it's the sharpest current Gillette blade).

And I love modern Gillette blades just as much and just to demonstrate the YMMV factor I never got along with the PermaSharp or the Polsilver, preferring others by them much more. Go figure. :confused: One really has to try several to find their true love.

@dodgy thank you for giving me an overview of those vintage Gillette blades.

Has anyone ever tried using a really old blade i.e. from the 1930s. I got an mint one with a New LC and it seems to be thicker (by bending it between the fingers) than modern blades. I would not use that one as it belongs to the razor, but I wonder if a pack of pre-war vintage Gillettes still would give me a close shave.

@dodgy thank you for giving me an overview of those vintage Gillette blades.

Has anyone ever tried using a really old blade i.e. from the 1930s. I got an mint one with a New LC and it seems to be thicker (by bending it between the fingers) than modern blades. I would not use that one as it belongs to the razor, but I wonder if a pack of pre-war vintage Gillettes still would give me a close shave.
Many of us have tried. It's a roll of the dice, but environmental factors are generally unkind to carbon steel over many decades. I've gotten decent shaves occasionally.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Have you tried Rubies ?

I've tried a few Gillette blades. The 7 o'clock Yellow's, Green's, Black's, Silver Blue and Platinum. Although I've read rave reviews of the Black ‘Super Platinum' I didn't get on with them at all. I swapped them for my favourite blade the Gillette Platinum's. The GP's are sharp and very smooth. The Yellows are great too.

20150116_092552.jpg

I went through a tuck early in my DE shaving days and found them a little tuggy.

I will probably revisit at some point due to improved technique and kit

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Worth another go. My top 3 blades are all from the St Petersburg factory - Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blues & the Rubies. All the blades i've tried from Moscow ( Rapira SSS + Platinum Lux & Voskhod ) were all awful. YMMV & all that.

I usually use Gillette blades in my vintage gillette razors (not sure why but I love them), I have some Polsilver SI on the way and usually use GSB but has anyone used the black suoer platinums? In people's opinion which do they prefer the GSB or blacks?
As much as I love the 7o'clock Blacks , I
Perfer the GSB's as my favorite of all blades
With the Polsivers next and the 7o'clock
Blacks in 3rd place followed by the Yellows.

The Rapira Platinum Lux blade behave very similar to a Gillette Platinum and they're both made in the same factory in St Petersburg in Russia

No, they are not made in the same factory nor even by the same co. Rapira is made by Mostochlegmash and although the Platinum Lux blade is decent it's about as close to the Gillette Platinum as is Kylie Minogue's butt to that of Julia Gillard. :eek:

http://www.mostochlegmash.ru/razors1.html

No, they are not made in the same factory nor even by the same co. Rapira is made by Mostochlegmash and although the Platinum Lux blade is decent it's about as close to the Gillette Platinum as is Kylie Minogue's butt to that of Julia Gillard. :eek:

http://www.mostochlegmash.ru/razors1.html

I was told they were made from the same factory......sorry and I'm glad you've provide me a website....thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom