This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gillette Takes Off The Gloves

Discussion in 'Cartridge (System) & One-piece Disposable Razors' started by Bogeyman, Thursday April 26, 2018.

1. Bogeyman

Bogeyman

2. Sabre

Sabre

They were launched in December 2017. The Sharpologist is a bit late with the news.

3. Bogeyman

Bogeyman

We look forward to your blog with more up to date industry info. ;)

4. Sabre

Sabre

I posted it at another forum when it was announced. I didn't post it here as they haven't been launched here.

Geofnay likes this.
  5. neilwf

neilwf

$14 for eight, that's $1.75 each or £1.26. It's not exactly cheap is it!

6. SeanC

SeanC

Not too far off own label / generic Mach 3 compatibles

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

7. donnie_arko

donnie_arko

UK price for the Mach3 blades are 4 for £7.

A bit less than than the full fat Mach 3 blades, but the 8 pack of the full fat ones often go for £12 for 8 so IMO it's not really a low price alternative in the UK at least.

8. neilwf

neilwf

I started shaving with a DE safety razor initially to save money. As you all know, £12 can buy 100 DE blades depending on the make and where you buy them. About a year ago I bought a Schick injector SE razor, I really enjoy the shave I get, but I now think of the blades as being "a bit pricey". It's good to visit this area of the forum every once in a while to remind myself of the bad old days!

9. Sabre

Sabre

The Gillette 3 and 5 have not been released in the UK. In the UK for less expensive Mach3 carts it's best to buy disposables.
    They are £3.49 for 3 in Savers, and often on promotion in the Supermarkets and Wilko. Tesco will often do a 5 pack for £5.00. How cheap do you want a shave to be? The reason that DE's are so cheap is that you are generally importing them from the developing world.

SeanC likes this.
  10. donnie_arko

donnie_arko

Gillette3 is aleady for sale in the UK

If you read the article it says they are available in the EU and are sold as Mach3 Start instead of Gillette3. 4 carts can be purchased for £7 at Superdrug, Boots and others.

https://www.superdrug.com/Gillette/Mach-3-Start-Blades-4CT/p/744228

11. Sabre

Sabre

I am fully aware of the Mach 3 Start.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...o-vs-gillette-sensor-exel.58091/#post-1378402

However, there has been no claims previously that the blades have the new Gillette 3 coatings. Yes, they share the same aqua grip handle.

However the biggest difference is the concept! Gillette 3 carts are less than 50% of Mach 3 "Base" carts in the USA. In the UK the saving is one pound. A pack of Mach 3 Start carts are £7.00, whilst Mach 3 carts are £8.00

Last edited: Friday April 27, 2018
  12. Sabre

Sabre

Mach 3 Base

[​IMG]

Mach 3 Start

[​IMG]

Gillette 3

[​IMG]

So the Mach 3 Start has the same blades as the Mach 3 in the USA. Gillette 3 are meant to have different blades from the Mach 3.

Last edited: Thursday April 26, 2018
  13. Sabre

Sabre

Have you noticed that the Mach 3 start cart is different from the Mach 3 "Base" and Gillette 3? ;)

14. Sabre

Sabre

Anyway considering Gillette 3 are meant to be inexpensive, why are Mach3 Start carts 4 for £7.00, when a pack of 3 Mach3 disposables are £3.49? :rolleyes:

15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC

Dear Gillette,

READ MY BLOODY LIPS, I'm NOT going back to cartridge razors, because you're a bloody RIPOFF!!!

Do you UNDERSTAND me!!

If you don't understand my lips, then you'll understand my sign language and I'll keep it very simple for you.

[​IMG]

Dansco likes this.
  16. Sabre

Sabre

Yes, those £300.00 stainless steel DE razors are such good value. Can you really not afford a 23p shave? It's strange people think that a pack of Mach3 disposables are a rip off then buy overpriced brushes from China for a lot of money. But each to their own.

Mr Bigmem likes this.
  17. Missoni

Missoni

...this is a first for me...advocacy on behalf of Gillette's good value carts! they may shave well, and suit the majority of western shavers, but a purported near 4-figure mark-up is taking the biscuit; which is why DollarShaveClub adverts hit home with so many, I suspect...and yes, for me, there were times when I could not afford Gillette cart prices. For many, sadly, in today's economic climate, every penny really does count...

18. neilwf

neilwf

I own 7 razors 3 of which are second hand (pre owned). In total they cost about 140 pounds. My shaving brush is from Bodyshop about 10 pounds. I use Palmolive Shaving cream and Nivea after shave balm.
    I guess I am a cheapskate!

19. This is one of the reasons, loss of exclusivity is the main issue.

20. Dansco

Dansco

I initially looked into the switch to DE because of cost, but quickly realised there are other advantages.

The stash of DE blades, accumulated inside an aluminium can, can be recycled.

I don't buy new handles in those starter packs with new blades anymore, so I'm not throwing away old ones. I firmly believe of people refused to keep buying new handles eventually Gillette would stop packaging them in blade pack deals.

The handles I now have, I hope to have in 50 years time. Still working and used frequently.

So yeah... ive bought a couple of expensive DE's and straights but that's a personal choice on how to spend my money. If I wanted to I could have stuck with my dad's tech and an omega 49 brush. My Tabac refill cost £7(?) And will last a lot longer than a can of Gillette gel.

I would have had no choice in paying between £50-75 a year for Gillette cartridges. Which I didn't enjoy using in the first place.

In summary - you are correct, I have spent a reasonable amount since making the switch. But it was a choice, not a necessity.

And one more that I forgot - my skin has improved a lot since I stopped using cartridges. I don't have breakouts of spots every day after shaving

neilwf, Shemen Zait and jimmyc like this.