Guinness XX ... it's the best

I don't drink much beer, but when I do it's Guinness. I don't mind Draught Flow. At home, it's Original (or XX, giving it its proper designation).

I bought in a load of stouts today, including:

Dragon
Guinness Foreign Extra
Guinness Antwerpen
Guinness Milk Stout

... but when I poured out a chilled can of XX. Heaven!

It's cool, crisp, satisfying, thirst-quenching and so damn gorgeous!

Guinness XX - the best.

Got a favourite? You know, that one drink you could just drink and drink in place of water and if there were no other beers in the world (or plain water), that would be it? What is it?

Staropramen in DE terms is like a Gillette Tech, a bit on the light side but ok overall and good value for money :)

Last edited:
Pilsner Urquell and Gambrinus are the finest Czech beers IMHO.. Czechs will proudly tell you that Pilsner Uquell was the number one selling beer in Germany..for a few years running.

One of my favourite Lager/Pilsner style beers is Cusquena ..a Peruvian beer brewed by Germans..great crisp, taste!

Guinness West Indies Porter/Young's Special London Ale in the Winter.
Budweiser Budvar in the Summer.

So taking the British climate into consideration, it would be either of the first two.

Guys, I need some help ...

Mulling this over, I recall a lovely day out with Mrs up to York. We were sitting in Pivni enjoying a drink and I went for a Stout. Well, it went straight down and I got back up and ordered another. And another, and when Mrs went to the loo, another.

It was from Manchester. I think it had something to do with magnets? Magnet?

Anyway, it was as good (if not better) than Guinness XX and if I could just recall exactly what it was, I'd like to get some in and directly compare to Guinness XX. We might have a contender!

Help!

Manchester ... Stout, possibly something to do with magnets.

Ring any bells?

EDIT: Got it ... quick phone call to Pivni :D

It was Marble.

http://www.yourround.co.uk/Brewer/Manchester/Marble/Beer/Stouter_stout/M4_4HY.aspx

Stouter Stout.

Chuffing gorgeous ... right time to source a bottle.

Last edited:
Hey pjgh,
If you ever come to Ireland and ask for a Guinness be sure to ask for an old fashioned glass.
guinness-pint.jpg
It gives a much creamier pint than the new tall glasses.

Back
Top Bottom