Handles and threads

Hi Folks

I know you guys will be able to help in this. I'd like to attach a modern handle (e.g. a Windrose) to my 1924 ER 'Shovelhead'. A bit digging around uncovers 10/32 grub screws can be suitable for threading into various handles/heads. Are there those amongst you that have had experience with such alterations, and willing to offer advice?

Many thanks and kindest regards,

Stephen.

Hi Folks

I know you guys will be able to help in this. I'd like to attach a modern handle (e.g. a Windrose) to my 1924 ER 'Shovelhead'. A bit digging around uncovers 10/32 grub screws can be suitable for threading into various handles/heads. Are there those amongst you that have had experience with such alterations, and willing to offer advice?

Many thanks and kindest regards,

Stephen.
You can get the twin size grub screw and put a nut on the top and then mate the two together or you can, using a tapping tool, tap out the razor head to the size of the thread in the handle and use the correct size of threaded bar or a bolt down through the razor in to the handle. It's not too hard depending on what you have at your disposal.

You can get the twin size grub screw and put a nut on the top and then mate the two together or you can, using a tapping tool, tap out the razor head to the size of the thread in the handle and use the correct size of threaded bar or a bolt down through the razor in to the handle. It's not too hard depending on what you have at your disposal.
Thanks Paul. Sounds good. Can you get these grubbers from B&Q, Screwfix, etc.?

This ↑ is what I used for this ↓ a 8mm M5 grub screw
BUEyHmO.jpg

I read this article with great interest. The only problem I can see with re-tapping the head to fit M5 (apart from it being non reversible) is the loss of plating inside the thread rendering it susceptible to rust, but if you like the razor enough to go to the bother of fitting an M5 handle, surely you like it enough to have the head re-plated.
In the case of #10-32 UNF threads could you re-tap one end of an M5 grub screw to make an adaptor?

I read this article with great interest. The only problem I can see with re-tapping the head to fit M5 (apart from it being non reversible) is the loss of plating inside the thread rendering it susceptible to rust, but if you like the razor enough to go to the bother of fitting an M5 handle, surely you like it enough to have the head re-plated.
In the case of #10-32 UNF threads could you re-tap one end of an M5 grub screw to make an adaptor?
I think most vintage SE razors are made from brass which will not rust or corrode, merely get patina...
It's not the razors I like a lot that I would tap, it's those that won't lose value if I do so.. those I don't love..
It can be done, but I think there is no point in re-tapping one end of an M5x0.8 grub screw. Either use a 10-32 grub screw which will fit the M5x0.8 handle as well, or use an M5x0.8 grub screw. It's not a perfect fit for a 10-32 vintage razor head, but in my case it works well enough. I still use an M5x0.8 grub with my favourite 1912.

I can see your point regarding the loss of plating inside the thread but it is of little consequence if the razor head is made out of plated brass and therefore will not rust and I'm sure one would only do this with a rellatively cheap razor anyway so it being non reversible not a great deal, I have changed the handle on my ER 1912 and it now has a 85mm stainless steel handle replacing the 70mm aluminium one, (60mm for the brass handled ones ) and I certainly have no intention of putting the old handle back on. Edit...riverrun got there before me!

As a rule of thumb:
If the handle of your vintage razor fits the handle of a modern DE razor like this:
TwoHandles.jpg

... a #10-32 grub screw is the best option (and a M5x0.8 grub screw might do the trick)

Back
Top Bottom