Have you noticed?

So something i've been mulling around in my head for a while but wanted to ask my fellow shavers if they'd drawn the same conclusion and noticed the almost certain link between residual slickness (RS) and post-shave feel (PSF) with good soaps.

I find RS and PSF to be such close bedfellows that I am able to tell what my PSF will be like mid shave.

And when I get my golden soaps...those soap that out punch all soaps in their class i'm a happy man to say I was right RS and PSF were in fact up there. Its even more amazing when I find vegan soaps that hit that button like my fav Wickhams 1912.

What do you guys think? And which soaps confirm this idea to you?

I'd imagine part of that is due to the superfat content of a soap/cream - this is the unsaponified (or non-soaped) matter within the soap, hence remaining as the starting oil. I've tried out a superfat of 5% and one of 10% with some home-brew soap and that makes a huge difference in both slickness and PSF.

Further to this, the type of oil which is used makes a difference - hence why tallow is so well touted, or for vegetarian/vegan soaps, stearic acid (from palm). They're both pretty slippy in soap form and pretty slippy in their starting format, so makes for a good soap base. The rest can be stuff like shea butter/cocoa butter which are both slippy and have the nourishing qualities which people aim for.

As above, my own trials have proven this to me. Wickhams also proves this as does P&B, though I've had far more experience with the latter.

Yes I do and I always get this with OSP soaps and the SV soaps also there are a few others but not to the same degree as the above mentioned soaps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom