Having my Iwasaki Kamisori honed

Blademonkey

Supporter
Supporter
image.jpg I have two Iwasaki Kamisori, a 50mm and a 60 mm one, the 50 mm one is primarily for face shaving and traditionally the 60 mm one was for head shaving but I don't shave my head so both are used for face shaving.
Realising that they both could with a light hone I set about searching for someone who could undertake this work.
After much looking on the Internet one name kept comming up as someone who may fit the bill.
The name was "Pugh-the-special -one Aka Jamie. Who just happens to be on this forum amongst others.
I sent him a PM asking if he would undertake this work for me and he shortly replied to me saying yes and told me about his prices ect.
I sent them off to South Wales where he lives and he phoned me Monday lunch time to say he had recieved them and he would start straight away......great news I thought, thinking I sould have them back in a couple of days or so.
Well a few hours later he phoned me again and said he had done the work and would post back straight away, this is on Monday....the day he recieved them!
He told me the difference with the Kamisori was like "chalk and cheese "
True to his word he had posted them on Monday for me to recieve them back on Tuesday (the very next day) that is what you call a fast turn around!
I shaved with my 50mm Kam today and wow, it was like another razor, these razors have never been this sharp even when I bought them new.

So a big shout going out to Jamie, @pugh-the-special-one for not only doing a fantastic job in honing them but for doing it so quickly and at a very competitive price too, so a big THANK YOU to you Jamie, you are indeed a Honemeister Extraordinaire .

Last edited:
View attachment 24129 I have two Iswaki Kamisori, a 50mm and a 60 mm one, the 50 mm one is primarily for face shaving and traditionally the 60 mm one was for head shaving but I don't shave my head so both are used for face shaving.
Realising that they both could with a light hone I set about searching for someone who could undertake this work.
After much looking on the Internet one name kept comming up as someone who may fit the bill.
The name was "Pugh-the-special -one Aka Jamie. Who just happens to be on this forum amongst others.
I sent him a PM asking if he would undertake this work for me and he shortly replied to me saying yes and told me about his prices ect.
I sent them off to South Wales where he lives and he phoned me Monday lunch time to say he had recieved them and he would start straight away......great news I thought, thinking I sould have them back in a couple of days or so.
Well a few hours later he phoned me again and said he had done the work and would post back straight away, this is on Monday....the day he recieved them!
He told me the difference with the Kamisori was like "chalk and cheese "
True to his word he had posted them on Monday for me to recieve them back on Tuesday (the very next day) that is what you call a fast turn around!
I shaved with my 50mm Kam today and wow, it was like another razor, these razors have never been this sharp even when I bought them new.

So a big shout going out to Jamie, @pugh-the-special-one for not only doing a fantastic job in honing them but for doing it so quickly and at a very competitive price too, so a big THANK YOU to you Jamie, you are indeed a Honemeister Extraordinaire .
Glad to hear you had such a great experience, as most do with Jamie it seems. Yet to use his honing services as @Fergiebilly has undertaken those honors for me to date, but I have asked Jamie for a couple of bits of advice and he's been a true gent.

As for the Kamisori, once I'm more proficient with straights a Kamisori is definitely something I want to experience

Glad to hear you had such a great experience, as most do with Jamie it seems. Yet to use his honing services as @Fergiebilly has undertaken those honors for me to date, but I have asked Jamie for a couple of bits of advice and he's been a true gent.

As for the Kamisori, once I'm more proficient with straights a Kamisori is definitely something I want to experience
Yes it is true that @Fergiebilly is also a Honemeister, I have had a couple of straights off him and he knows his stuff, I just wasn't sure if Billy had as much experance with Kamisori.
I'm sure you will enjoy the challange of shaving with a Kamisori, it a little different to western straights to use but as much fun! :)

Yes it is true that @Fergiebilly is also a Honemeister, I have had a couple of straights off him and he knows his stuff, I just wasn't sure if Billy had as much experance with Kamisori.
I'm sure you will enjoy the challange of shaving with a Kamisori, it a little different to western straights to use but as much fun! :)
Aye Paul..I have Never Honed a Kamisori or Shaved with One for that Matter..Jamie is the Man for these for Sure..:D

Billy

Out of interest, where did you purchase yours as you mentioned it was brand new? Does that mean it was NOS or that there is a manufacturer producing these? Cheers :)

Just to clarify, I've done a bit of research on Japanese knives in the past, I know that Dr. Iwasaki Kousuke is the founder of this model of knife (not the Kamisori, but the Iwasaki you own) and that his son Mr. Shigeyoshi Iwasak is a blacksmith and maker of knives. He also has a "student" Mr. Ryoichi Mizuochi that is producing these razors now that he is close to retirement. I was wondering if you knew about the history of your knife and if it was an older NOS model or one of the newer models produced by the other two people mentioned (or someone else for that matter)!

Just to clarify, I've done a bit of research on Japanese knives in the past, I know that Dr. Iwasaki Kousuke is the founder of this model of knife (not the Kamisori, but the Iwasaki you own) and that his son Mr. Shigeyoshi Iwasak is a blacksmith and maker of knives. He also has a "student" Mr. Ryoichi Mizuochi that is producing these razors now that he is close to retirement. I was wondering if you knew about the history of your knife and if it was an older NOS model or one of the newer models produced by the other two people mentioned (or someone else for that matter)!
Yes I know the history of these great Kamisori and to answer your question both of mine were made by Ryoichi Mizuochi San the student of Shigeyoshi San, Ryochichi Mizuochi San is now a master craftsman / Blacksmith in his own right. So my models are the newer type using Swedish steel. The Iwasaki name is still used even though Dr. Iwasaki Kousuki is long gone, in the tradition of the house of Iwasaki.

Last edited:
Yes I know the history of these great Kamisori and to answer your question both of mine were made by Ryoichi Mizuochi San the student of Shigeyoshi San, Ryochichi Mizuochi San is now a master craftsman / Blacksmith in his own right. So my models are the newer type using Swedish steel. The Iwasaki name is still used even though Dr. iwasaki Kousuki is long gone, in the tradition of the house of Iwasaki.
Brilliant and fascinating :D love the fact you can trace where it came from, really good read

It's always a pleasure to hone quality with the history I have honed many Iwasaki both Kamisori including western style Iwasaki razors, I have a western style Iwasaki a early model made by the master himself I love them, here's a picture I took of both razors just after I finished honing them.

BAsnS4W.jpg

It's always a pleasure to hone quality with the history I have honed many Iwasaki both Kamisori including western style Iwasaki razors, I have a western style Iwasaki a early model made by the master himself I love them, here's a picture I took of both razors just after I finished honing them.

BAsnS4W.jpg
A great picture, and thanks again, you did a wonderful job on them.

Back
Top Bottom