Heads Up Simpson Quality Issues

Dear all,

After just 4 months the knot on my Chubby 2 synthetic disintegrated!! After contacting the retailer they informed me that many of their customers have reported similar issues with Simpson brushes recently. They site changes to manufacturing processes to the detriment of their quality and longevity.

Anyone considering a Simpson brush should think twice!!

Ah OK. Just wondered... I bought one 2 weeks ago that's from the latest production and they have changed it to the latter... Didn't know if I needed to worry or not ;)

Its been superb so far, probably my favourite brush currently. How long did it take for yours to begin deteriorating?

I was gutted as it's the best brush ive ever owned, superb backbone & softness. I had it for 4 months, just gave it a shake after rinsing & the knot flew out in bits! No warning or shedding before this happened. Im looking at Edwin Jagger Silver Tip XL to replace it.

I was gutted as it's the best brush ive ever owned, superb backbone & softness. I had it for 4 months, just gave it a shake after rinsing & the knot flew out in bits! No warning or shedding before this happened. Im looking at Edwin Jagger Silver Tip XL to replace it.

Intriguing. The same thing happened to a (Chinese badger) brush belonging to my brother, it was perfectly fine for 6 months and then one day the knot fell apart with no prior warning. Upon asking some pertinent questions it was revealed he only shaves in the bath and soaks the shaving brush in the bath with him... Aside from being a revoltingly unhygienic practice I deduced that prolonged exposure to heat from the bath water had damaged the adhesive.

Do you soak your brushes in hot water perchance?

Intriguing. The same thing happened to a (Chinese badger) brush belonging to my brother, it was perfectly fine for 6 months and then one day the knot fell apart with no prior warning. Upon asking some pertinent questions it was revealed he only shaves in the bath and soaks the shaving brush in the bath with him... Aside from being a revoltingly unhygienic practice I deduced that prolonged exposure to heat from the bath water had damaged the adhesive.

Do you soak your brushes in hot water perchance?
No never and being synthetic it does not require pre soaking. It's a manufacturing fault pure & simple

I do not doubt it... I had to ask though.

Will be interesting to hear what Simpsons have to say about the issue and whether its a single batch that were affected or more?
It's not just a single batch, too many brushes have been returned with shedding issues. It appears to be widespread across the model range. Manufacturers rarely comment on these things but it sounds like cost cutting in the production process!

How do you know that though? What did the vendor say to you exactly?

Please excuse my cynicism, I appreciate you're simply trying to help others avoid buying a lemon but this is serious business and such allegations can sink ships... Or a least severely damage a brands image which is potentially libellous if the manufacturer is so inclined to take that view. "Too many" is far too vague, is there anyone else out there whose recently purchased Simpsons (let's call it 6 months) knot has fallen apart that would like to chip in?

You may feel I'm overreacting but I've witnessed fora destroyed over similar threads in the past, that is exactly what I don't want to happen :)

Back
Top Bottom