Hello and newbie advice

Hello all. I'm an absolute safety razor newbie. Having said that, I did own one a long time ago - we had to carry one in our field kit but we all had cartridge razors for use. The 3-piece's only saw daylight for inspections!
I'm pondering my first razor purchase. I have bought some Proraso soap and AS. I also got myself a cheap omega boar brush (which I assume won't be suitable as badger seems to be the standard?
I do like nice things. I would have liked a Ti razor as I wear a Ti wristwatch and it would have been nice but they cost a lot of money don't they!?!?! Typically Ti watches are no more expensive that SS. Considering my fondness to well made items and how tactile it makes them, but also my inexperience of DE/Se shaving, does anyone have any recommendations outside the normal EJ 89/Merkur 34C/Muhle 89?
I really like the Muhle Rocca but my research makes me thing that it'll be a bit of a handful and that I would likely find the approach angle a challenge. I really like the look of the ThomasClipper offerings, but aren't the heads supposedly a bit poor? I don't think they offer a handle only option.

Thanks for bearing with the post, and thanks again for any advice.

Well your Omega boar will be awesome. Use it lots and it will breaking and get really very good. I have an Omega 10049 in red and I love it.

As forthe razor, there's no such thing as a beginner razor. Getthe Rocca if that's what you want. Feather ASD2 (think that's the name) are built to extremely high tolerances in stainless steel and look very good.

For me, I went down the route of vintage Gillettes. They don't make em like this anymore.

20180901_134845-1512x2016.jpg20180831_135107_1535747697071_crop_490x365.jpg20180827_221431_1535404558774-1134x1512.jpg

Just get something you like, watch some YouTube videos, ask anything you don't understand here, then get shaving and enjoy it!!

Hello all. I'm an absolute safety razor newbie. Having said that, I did own one a long time ago - we had to carry one in our field kit but we all had cartridge razors for use. The 3-piece's only saw daylight for inspections!
I'm pondering my first razor purchase. I have bought some Proraso soap and AS. I also got myself a cheap omega boar brush (which I assume won't be suitable as badger seems to be the standard?
I do like nice things. I would have liked a Ti razor as I wear a Ti wristwatch and it would have been nice but they cost a lot of money don't they!?!?! Typically Ti watches are no more expensive that SS. Considering my fondness to well made items and how tactile it makes them, but also my inexperience of DE/Se shaving, does anyone have any recommendations outside the normal EJ 89/Merkur 34C/Muhle 89?
I really like the Muhle Rocca but my research makes me thing that it'll be a bit of a handful and that I would likely find the approach angle a challenge. I really like the look of the ThomasClipper offerings, but aren't the heads supposedly a bit poor? I don't think they offer a handle only option.

Thanks for bearing with the post, and thanks again for any advice.

Welcome!

I dont like boar brushes. I prefer a good synthetic which can be picked up at a very reasonable cost. However, ymmv (which stands for Your Mileage May Vary) which translates as everyone's opinion is different.

On the soap, proraso is fine.

On the subject of razors, your could try almost anything and with care it will work for you. I am just about to put up for sale in the appropriate forum a few razors which are now surplus to requirements as I have drifted over to SE. These will include an EJ and a Merkur Progress. The Progress would be very highly recommended (by me!j. It is adjustable and gives you the chance to play around with the degree of aggression.

Regarding blades, there are hundreds of opinions! See the forum!

Send me a pm and I can send you something to start you off, if you like.

Welcome Dobbsie, firstly your brush, good choice, i have a similar Omega one and i also have a more expensive badger brush, if i had to choose one then it would be the boar every time.
Soap wise, nothing wrong with Proraso, i would suggest trying a tallow based soap as well, some of us prefer them over non tallow soaps, that said if your a vegetarian or vegan then that would be out as it is an animal product, Palmolive sticks are a good place to start as you can pick them up for less than a quid generally so your not going to lose much if you don't like it.
As for a razor, so much choice! any of the ones you listed would be absolutely fine, from there you can decide if you want to for a more aggressive/efficient razor. Don't forget blades, it's worth getting a selection pack as not all blades suit all people, what some love others hate.

Hi ,the Edwin J is a great razor , very comfortable shave. I bought the Rocca after, and this gives a closer shave, but you need take a bit more care. However, I have never cut myself. Do check that the blade is properly aligned with whatever one you buy. Yes get a variety pack even just to see how bad some blades are! I would only buy Gillette silver blue, Nacet and polsilver super irridium. Latter is my fav. I used a Simpson Grosvenor, mixed hair and it makes super lather. Personally, I wouldn't mess about with soap sticks. Loads of fine creams or hard pucks of soap. Try a couple you fancy.
Finally, do experiment......you won't get a perfect shave first time.

Don't bother getting a blade sampler pack, or make sure it has at least a few of each blade in it. Get a months supply (at least) of one blade that most people seem happy with and use it until you are confident with your new set up.

For me, I change blades once a week so a 5 pack of blades is about a months worth, so actually a sampler with a few 5 packs in is fine.

Just don't be tempted to change blade brand too regularly. If you put a blade in tomorrow, shave with it and the shave is poor, you won't know if that's your technique or the blade anyway! Just get one and use it.

Great stuff, many thanks all. I do like @Dansco advice regarding buying a single type of blade to get my eye in. I have seen Astra recommended as a safe-is bet for a newbie? I'm the same with tyres on mountain bikes, you can only really get a feel for a bike given a set parameter. Same with razors I suppose?
One thing I would like some further information on is post shave. I bought some proraso after shave but I'm not sure it's best for me. I am experimenting with a Dorco cartridge pending my razor purchase and I have some sensitivity on my neck. Maybe its the trillion blades I'm scraping over my neck but I can't help but feel that a moisturiser might be better for me? I have some nice jack black stuff with unicorn tears or whatever super special stuff they tell me is in it.
Whilst I appreciate that some of the more popular beginner razors might be perfect, I can't help but feel that it's a somewhat emotional purchase, like a watch or a bike rather than a purely functional one so something which stirs the juices would be preferable from my viewpoint. Yes, I'm a tart! Not quite a feather, but maybe something OK in inexperienced hands with a little bit of swagger. Suggestions would be gratefully received. Wifey has offered to buy me one for our anniversary. I am tempted by a vintage gillette, even disregarding the performance they are just so charming.
Whilst I am seriously tempted by that posh saponica verissiomo soap or whatever it's called, I'll stick with the proraso and omega for now it they are OK. I'll surely buy a posh brush sooner rather than later though! The suggestion of a synthetic will be fully investigated so thanks for that!
From an ex- 59er, thanks to @49er for the very kind offer. The progress isn't for me though thanks. I love the look of the future but I have read that it's a bit of an animal.
What are the thoughts around SE razors for newbs?

Thanks again for the warm welcome and also for finding time to offer advice everyone!

Welcome, you can get a good synthetic brush for around £15. Yaqi and Razorock make excellent ones. On post shave, I use Barts Balm. There is a discount for forum users, in Vendor Offers. Not a fan of supermarket ones and I find Barts does all I need it to. It's not greasy, doesn't leave my skin itchy, absorbs well, is soothing and smells great. Loads of different scents too. He sells samples as well.

I know what you mean about wanting to buy a quality razor, I have to admit that I didn't know what the fuss was about when I saw forum users deriding ‘pot metal', but then I held stainless steel razors in my hand recently and now I understand!

Soooo, is there a more frugal avenue to buying a Feather AS-D2?!?!
I saw the old group buy thing which didn't get off the ground. I could swallow the £120-odd but £165 (best I could find online) is a stretch too far even for such a beautiful thing. The reported mildness of the razor appeals to me.
I like the look of Barts balm @dave79. UK producer too!

Back
Top Bottom