Hello from Dumbarton

Just signed up after having a look through different forums I have decided to set up camp here.

Names Gary, Reaver is a name I've been using a while for gaming.

Suppose I'm a little different from most of u in the sense I have a full beard and a skin head. I shave upside down basically (balding mens problems, I keep telling people I'm going for a chin to head transplant)

Anyway, I've been de shaving for a while now using some pish I bought on amazon, elkaline I think it was, alongside astra sp blades and have decided to ditch the cheapy and move onto something a bit better.
I was considering buying the 34c.
Any other head shavers out there got some guidance?

Hi, welcome and enjoy Gary!

I am sure some head shaving experts will be along shortly to give you some advice but I have the Merkur 34c and it is a superb razor and highly recommended on here. :)
Been looking at it a while and seen it gets pretty solid reviews everywhere it has ever been discussed. That being said, 99% of people using de razors are shaving faces. Just curious to see how it handles on the old napper before I buy one. Can't be any worse than the garbage I have which to be honest is doing a decent job anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Gary, Sorry but I can't comment on the 34c, as I've never used it. But like yourself, I too have to shave my head, well only the bits that aren't self shearing. I get good results with a Gillette Tech and 7 O'clock yellows, but YMMV. Chick.

Been looking at it a while and seen it gets pretty solid reviews everywhere it has ever been discussed. That being said, 99% of people using de razors are shaving faces. Just curious to see how it handles on the old napper before I buy one. Can't be any worse than the garbage I have which to be honest is doing a decent job anyway.

Well judging by your avatar, I can't see much hair on that napper mate :D

I have not been DE shaving for that long and the 34c was my first razor I bought. The Muhle R89 may also be one for your consideration although in my opinion they are a very close match YMMV.
I would also suggest you get yourself some sample packs of blades and try them out.

The Astra SP is my go to blade.

Whatever you decide upon, Enjoy! :)

Well judging by your avatar, I can't see much hair on that napper mate :D

I have not been DE shaving for that long and the 34c was my first razor I bought. The Muhle R89 may also be one for your consideration although in my opinion they are a very close match YMMV.
I would also suggest you get yourself some sample packs of blades and try them out.

The Astra SP is my go to blade.

Whatever you decide upon, Enjoy! :)
Yea the blades rhat came with my amazon safety razor were a bit pish but then again I had never used a de before either so my skills were seriously lacking. After about 10 shaves or so I moved onto the astra sp blades and also got the red prorasso pot. Been having decent enough shaves for the past 6 months now and just fancy a better tool for the job. The one i have feels cheap and rattles a bit.

The beauty of the 34c is that it is a heavy razor of solid construction and has a short handle which I am sure you would find suitable for all the shaving angles and turns you need to do in order to shave your napper.
This razor does not require any pressure while shaving due to its weight.

Hope this helps.

The beauty of the 34c is that it is a heavy razor of solid construction and has a short handle which I am sure you would find suitable for all the shaving angles and turns you need to do in order to shave your napper.
This razor does not require any pressure while shaving due to its weight.

Hope this helps.
Yea the short handle and weight are the two main reasons I was looking at it. Just curious as to what else is about. Looking for a solid razor that will last a long time. I shave my head every second day so it will see plenty of action.

@Wayne Pritchard - your avatar - by Steve McCurry - of the Magnum agency - Afghan girl with green eyes. It's an iconic image. I have read stuff about her recently - the intervening 30 years have not been kind. She got the jail in Pakistan not that long ago. I.

Last edited:
@Wayne Pritchard - your avatar - by Steve McCurry - of the Magnum agency - Afghan girl with green eyes. It's an iconic image. I read stuff about her recently - the intervening 30 years have not been kind. I.
Hi Iain,

Nice to hear from you mate. Yes the Afghan girl is a photo that is so iconic and one that inspired me with photography. Everything about this picture is truly outstanding in my opinion, her eyes are piercing, her dress, the colours and perhaps more importantly the story it tells.

I was only talking about this picture the other night over a few beers at my local watering hole and a friend reliably informed me that she is certainly unrecognisable now.

Take care and have a lovely weekend.

Wayne

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom