Help Deciding My Second Brush Please.

Evening folks,

A question with many answers I presume but I would really appreciate some advice on a second brush.
I currently have the Omega pro 49 boar and I must say I love it. Now it has broken in it is a fantastic brush for the money. Lathers extremely well and aids a newbie like me perfectly.
Its size alone is a great asset with regards to learning the art of lathering correctly.
As with everything in this hobby it seems I must have another. :)
My immediate thoughts are to turn my attention to a badger brush.
I believe a 2 band is one of the favourites with a decent backbone.
I don't want to go into silly money because I have so much more to explore but value for money is the leading factor.
The curiosity is killing me so your thoughts as always will be very much appreciated.

Take care all,
Wayne

My advice to you is to look a the new generation of synthetic fibre brushes. They significantly outperform badger and represent good value for money. Don't buy cheap though. Recommended High quality synthetic fibre brushes: Muhle, Edwin Jagger, Fine, Plisson.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm sure someone will chime in with the maseto 2-band 30mm. It's a monster but great backbone and pretty soft, even straight out of the box. I'll be writing a review on mine tomorrow. :) can be found on eBay for about £40 delivered, which is insane value when you consider the size and quality.

My recommendations are:

SOC 2-band, great all-rounder

Semogue 830, same as above, boar & under £20. Don't let the price fool you, excellent brush when broken in.

Maseto Finest 2-band. Amazing value, a very big brush & possibly a bit much for a quick daily 2-pass effort at 6.30am. If you want oodles of lather for a Sunday late morning 3+ pass indulgence, its the kiddie!

Synthetics are excellent, I have one for travel, a Razorock or fine stubby would be my choice.

Maseto Finest 2-band. Amazing value, a very big brush & possibly a bit much for a quick daily 2-pass effort at 6.30am. If you want oodles of lather for a Sunday late morning 3+ pass indulgence, its the kiddie!

Synthetics are excellent, I have one for travel, a Razorock or fine stubby would be my choice.
I have the maseto and a razorock synth. They're both fantastic in their own rights. I indulge in my lathers because life is too short to worry about how much soap I'm using so I don't care too much if I have "too much" lather!

Synthetics make short work of just about anything!

I'm sure someone will chime in with the maseto 2-band 30mm. It's a monster but great backbone and pretty soft, even straight out of the box. I'll be writing a review on mine tomorrow. :) can be found on eBay for about £40 delivered, which is insane value when you consider the size and quality.

These are monsters. I love the thought of one of these on my face. Would you recommend the "finest" as apposed to the "silvertip?"

Finest is terrific from maseto, it will
have a backbone approaching your omega 49 with much softer tips.

Its difficult because it does boil down to personal preference. If you favour face lathering, deffo the finest. It has just the right amount of scrub with lovely soft tips still.

If you prefer to bowl lather the silvertip will be a touch floppier & more cloud like when you come to paint on the lather.

Maseto finest 2-band is really, really good.
I have a Shavemac Unique 26mm that cost 4x more, it has a nicer handle, that's it.

These are monsters. I love the thought of one of these on my face. Would you recommend the "finest" as apposed to the "silvertip?"
I was told the silver tip would be closer in feel to my synthetic, mainly in terms of backbone and softness. I took a gamble and went for the finest and it's still pretty darned soft and has a lovely firm feeling to it. You can do what you please with it, scrub, paint, mop, slather the lather! I'm quite (very) pleased with my choice and don't begrudge not going for the silver tip.

Edit: I must add that it's not at all broken in yet and still very soft on the face.

Finest is terrific from maseto, it will
have a backbone approaching your omega 49 with much softer tips.

Its difficult because it does boil down to personal preference. If you favour face lathering, deffo the finest. It has just the right amount of scrub with lovely soft tips still.

If you prefer to bowl lather the silvertip will be a touch floppier & more cloud like when you come to paint on the lather.

Maseto finest 2-band is really, really good.
I have a Shavemac Unique 26mm that cost 4x more, it has a nicer handle, that's it.

Its strange how we all have different methods with lathering. As soon as I started "proper" shaving I was immediately drawn to bowl lathering and I have not changed since.
That being the case I suppose "finest" is the way forward. Decisions, decisions.... :)

Back
Top Bottom