Help for elderly father

Ecm

My father is 93 years old and has dementia. He is clearly finding it increasingly difficult to shave, particularly under his chin where his neck is jowly, and I wondered whether anyone has any suggestions that could make life easier for him. He has a coarse beard, has always wet shaved and I doubt I could persuade him to convert to an electric shaver. I'm not convinced his current cheap disposable razors are the best for the job but am not sure which of the bewildering array on sale (I'm his daughter !) would be ok for his elderly skin. I was also wondering whether a beard trimmer would be better for his neck to keep things neat rather than close shaved, but again I'm not sure whether they would work well on loose skin. If anyone has any suggestions we'd both be very grateful.

My father is 93 years old and has dementia. He is clearly finding it increasingly difficult to shave, particularly under his chin where his neck is jowly, and I wondered whether anyone has any suggestions that could make life easier for him. He has a coarse beard, has always wet shaved and I doubt I could persuade him to convert to an electric shaver. I'm not convinced his current cheap disposable razors are the best for the job but am not sure which of the bewildering array on sale (I'm his daughter !) would be ok for his elderly skin. I was also wondering whether a beard trimmer would be better for his neck to keep things neat rather than close shaved, but again I'm not sure whether they would work well on loose skin. If anyone has any suggestions we'd both be very grateful.
A beard trimmer would work just fine to keep things looking neat or another member here was in a simalar situation where he had to shave his farther who was in hospital and he used his " Oneblade" razor and it worked very well indeed, however the cost of one of these razors may be a little too much.
I hope you find a solution to your fathers shaving problem.

First and foremost, as your father is elderly and has dementia, I think a safe shaving solution is what's required. I'm no expert on beard trimmers, but that would seem like a logical recommendation, certainly compared to anything that requires using a sharp blade on an area that's inherently difficult to shave.

A compromise, assuming he would have no issue with using two different systems, would be to continue wet shaving the areas where he has no problems, and using a beard trimmer only in the neck area.

Good luck finding the right solution for your father.

Hi

Will you be able to shave him yourself or does he insist on doing it himself? I shaved my father when he got elderly and he was always a wet shaver, just found it increasingly difficult. My shaving was like a visit to the barber for him! What are you using for lather? Cans of foam or brush and lather? The latter is a lot superior, good prep and soap is 50% of getting a good shave.

Some of the disposables are quite good. Not available in the shops but an excellent single blade cartridge razor is the Gillette Guard. Can be found on Ebay, for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gillette-...n-Quantity-of-Blades-Cartridges-/151817634361

It's forgiving but suitable for a coarse beard. And learn to stretch the loose skin when you shave it.

Best wishes to your father and yourself, I've been there. It's hard work but rewarding.

When I shaved my old uncle I used the mildest razor I had ( an edwin jagger R89 ) with the mildest blade I discovered, a Derby. As he had typical, older, thin easily torn skin I used Palmolive cream at a fairly thick consistency , kept the razor really wet and worked in very short, light strokes. If he & you are still happy with him continuing with a familiar, daily routine as long as his condition permits I'd suggest a Gillette Sensor twin blade would be a fine choice to keep him cleaned up and Bristol tidy. Please pop back in and let us know how you both get on ... you're handling a challenge a fair few of us have, or are going through ourselves and do understand.

JohnnyO. o/

Hi

Will you be able to shave him yourself or does he insist on doing it himself? I shaved my father when he got elderly and he was always a wet shaver, just found it increasingly difficult. My shaving was like a visit to the barber for him! What are you using for lather? Cans of foam or brush and lather? The latter is a lot superior, good prep and soap is 50% of getting a good shave.

Some of the disposables are quite good. Not available in the shops but an excellent single blade cartridge razor is the Gillette Guard. Can be found on Ebay, for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gillette-...n-Quantity-of-Blades-Cartridges-/151817634361

It's forgiving but suitable for a coarse beard. And learn to stretch the loose skin when you shave it.

Best wishes to your father and yourself, I've been there. It's hard work but rewarding.
+ 1 on the Gillette Guard, it's the only Cartridge Razor i still occasionally use as a travel razor. for a single blade cartridge razor you get a pretty good quick shave..great advice sir.Regards..

Back
Top Bottom