Hi from S.London

Hi all, I'm John and I decided to learn how to straight razor shave about 4yrs ago because I was fed up of paying really high prices for disposable Gillette razors...... Mach 2,3,4 and twenty something..... whatever it's up to now?
At the time it was almost a necessity that save the money coz I was a bit skint but since then finances have got better. Which is just as well coz I've spent a small fortune on straight razor wet shaving. Little did I know what I was getting into but I have to say that the traditional shaving journey so far has been a fun, interesting and almost obsessive experience..... and I've loved it! And still do.
I've tended to dip in and out of all forums mainly to learn about other peoples experiences and there certainly is a lot of info, tips and of course some very important hard and fast rules around handling a very sharp tool.
Fortunately at the start I remembered that my dad kept an old straight somewhere which had been knocking around longer then either of us could remember. He was happy to hand it over when I told him of my new interest. It was in a bit of a state but no real damage so I did it up and started to learn how to hone and made several strops incl hemp webbing, leather, balsa etc..... with and without pastes.
The rest is history. I've bought 2 more straights, 1 new one old and I use all 3 on a regular rotation. I've bought many hones, some rubbish but mostly very useful ones and bit by bit my edges have become keener (sometimes) and smoother (sometimes) but it's definitely still a work in progress.
I'm currently very excited about receiving a shobudani Asagi..... my first Jnat and also now equally excited about receiving the Newbie pass around box. Another thing I've found a lot of fun is mixing up my own soaps and croaps and I'm a big fan of hard soaps.

Gotta fly thanks for reading. Happy shaving.
J

Back
Top Bottom