Hone Type 15a

Hello everyone, some great news today. I would like to share that the Type 15a an aluminium version of the Type 15 is ready to purchase at www.hone-shaving.com/razors

Its available in either a silver or black anodised finish, and with two handle lengths. The standard is 85mm, but there is now a 100mm option also. There have been some slight tweaks to the geometry of the head to account for the weight difference and to differentiate it slightly, its not to replace the Type 15, but to compliment it. And the price...

£65 for the 85mm + shipping
£68 for the 100mm + shipping

DSCF1967-Edit.jpg

The Type 15 pass around got a lot of great interest and I tried to listen to that feedback and fold it into the 15a so I hope many of you are pleased with the outcome. The feedback from that exersize really did inform the development that went into this version, it wasn't simply a case of changing the material.

Some rather fine gentlemen @Bechet @Darkbulb @riverrun @rowlers @Stacy555 were kind enough to help out with testing some pre-production prototypes so a big thank you to them for their input and time, they really gave amazing input and a much needed confidence boost.

DSCF2022-Edit.jpg

If you have any questions I would be very happy to answer them. I hope you like it and I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Andrew - Hone.

Hello everyone, some great news today. I would like to share that the Type 15a an aluminium version of the Type 15 is ready to purchase at www.hone-shaving.com/razors

Its available in either a silver or black anodised finish, and with two handle lengths. The standard is 85mm, but there is now a 100mm option also. There have been some slight tweaks to the geometry of the head to account for the weight difference and to differentiate it slightly, its not to replace the Type 15, but to compliment it. And the price...

£65 for the 85mm + shipping
£68 for the 100mm + shipping

DSCF1967-Edit.jpg

The Type 15 pass around got a lot of great interest and I tried to listen to that feedback and fold it into the 15a so I hope many of you are pleased with the outcome. The feedback from that exersize really did inform the development that went into this version, it wasn't simply a case of changing the material.

Some rather fine gentlemen @Bechet @Darkbulb @riverrun @rowlers @Stacy555 were kind enough to help out with testing some pre-production prototypes so a big thank you to them for their input and time, they really gave amazing input and a much needed confidence boost.

DSCF2022-Edit.jpg

If you have any questions I would be very happy to answer them. I hope you like it and I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Andrew - Hone.

Big congrats to getting to this point Andrew and it was a true pleasure having the opportunity to test your razor in the past months.

The GBP 65 and 68 translates, right now, to USD 84 and 89 "thanks" to a very favorable xrate and makes an already well priced razor even harder to resist :)

What is 'mild+'?

Haha, I wasn't sure about using that - But I thought it was the best way to describe it. The 15a is still on the mild end of the spectrum, but with the tweaks and the change in weight it is also pretty efficient, so the blade feel isn't masked as much. So its not medium really even though it can feel like it, and its not mild... So I thought mild + summed it up... :)

I liked the Standard DE due to the feel and weight in the hand, the Hone in aluminium is a big step up from the original beast and looks good in the different colours too.
thank you. The Standard has come up quite a bit in discussion through my testing. Its a clear comparison so when there are a few 15a razors out there it would be good to get the community take on the differences/similarities :)

Will the testers of the pre production model like to tell us all what they thought of the -15a....please.
Sure. This is pretty much the feedback I gave Andrew, with a few hindsight edits.
There are 'initial impressions' and seven shaves, so I won't dump them on you guys in one go...
Let's start with....

Hone Type 15a - First impressions
After a long two week wait the Hone Type 15a has finally arrived. I opted for the black version with the 85mm handle.
First impression: It's a Hone! No surprise there.
Second impression: It's much lighter than the brass version. It weighs in at 51.6 grams. That's less than a third of the weight of the brass Hone Type 15 which weighs in at 164.3 grams (I weighed it again and the patina makes no difference). It is a bit heavier than the black Standard razor (47.7 grams), but it is also chunkier. Holding the brass and aluminium razors side by side I get the impression that the black handle is a tiny bit longer and my trusty digital callipers claim that indeed the aluminium handle is 0.4 mm longer. Not something you'd note without close inspection and not something that matters at all.
Andrew has warned us that the blade posts of the prototype allow more blade movement than those of the final version. As my callipers are at hand already I do a bit more measuring and the blade posts on the brass razor are 4.68mm in diameter, those on the aluminium version are 4.43mm. Just something to keep in mind for this prototype. This will not apply to the final version. I've put a fresh Voskhod blade into the 15a for tomorrow's shave and I didn't have any problems. The blade exposure looks identical on both sides of the head.
The Hone Type 15a just about fits into the black Standard razor stand, but it is not a comfortable fit and I'd be worried to cause scratches. Since I sold my black Standard razor (minus the stand), the stand is reserved for one of my favourite razors anyway. As you ask: My 1912 with a hefty stainless steel handle. A simple, matching upright stand (not a silly one like the OneBlade's) for the Hone razors is something I'd definitely welcome. Talking about the Standard razor - the Hone is much more handsome. I hardly noticed the word ‘HONE' engraved on the head and after having seen the head of the new Rocnel razor (the one with the catchy name) all if forgiven anyway.
So much for my first brief impressions. I like it. Tomorrow I'll find out how it shaves.
TBC...

Last edited:
And one more, why not...

Hone Type 15a - Shave #1
Ignore the stuff I wrote below that is marked by strikethrough. I had to revise this later on (shave #6), but those were my first impressions. It turned out that the Feather blade was rubbish.
  • Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food as pre shave
  • Wickham Super Soft English Rose soap
  • MÜHLE 33K257 synthetic brush
  • Hone Type 15a
  • Feather blade (1)
  • Alum block
  • No ASL (Can't think of anything I have that goes with ‘Rose')
  • Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food as after shave balm
A quick change of plan this morning meant that I removed the Voskhod blade and put a Feather blade in the 15a. It's my preferred blade for the brass 15 and I though it might give a better comparison.
I'll stick with my standard ‘pass around' four pass routine WTG/ATG/GTX/ATG. Level playing field and all that. I'll spare you a pass by pass narrative. I'll give my overall impressions.
The Hone 15a is of course much lighter than the brass version, but it feels nice and is well balanced. The handle is smooth, but not slippery at all. With the Feather blade it is markedly more aggressive than the brass razor. There is more blade feel than I'm happy with (on both sides of the head, so it's not a blade alignment issue). All those who said they'd like the Hone 15 if it was a bit more aggressive should definitely try the 15A. I preferred the smoothness of the bronze version. In my book the 15a is not a Feather tamer, but it doesn't need to be. I'll try a Voskhod or PolSilver blade tomorrow.
One thing I missed was the heat retention of the brass Hone. That hot brass head just feels so nice on my face.
At the end of the shave I have a very smooth face, but the alum block stings a bit more than I'm used to from the brass Hone. Not too bad though.
All in all not a bad shave, but I'm expecting better from a different blade. I'll report back with shave #2 tomorrow.
Here's the plan: I'll use a Voskhod or PolSilver blade in the 15a tomorrow. Then I'll do a shave off between the two razors (one half of the face each). Then I'll finally send the brass Type 15 back to Andrew for inspection. About time.
I was considering doing all sorts of Frankenhones (Aluminium top cap, brass base plate, aluminium handle… the combinations are manifold), but (that's) just silly. I'll review the Hone 15a as is (maybe with a Seygus 2016 spacer).
TBC..

Last edited:
Sure. This is pretty much the feedback I gave Andrew, with a few hindsight edits.
There are 'initial impressions' and seven shaves, so I won't dump them on you guys in one go...
Let's start with....

Hone Type 15A - First impressions
After a long two week wait the Hone Type 15A has finally arrived. I opted for the black version with the 85mm handle.
First impression: It's a Hone! No surprise there.
Second impression: It's much lighter than the brass version. It weighs in at 51.6 grams. That's less than a third of the weight of the brass Hone Type 15 which weighs in at 164.3 grams (I weighed it again and the patina makes no difference). It is a bit heavier than the black Standard razor (47.7 grams), but it is also chunkier. Holding the brass and aluminium razors side by side I get the impression that the black handle is a tiny bit longer and my trusty digital callipers claim that indeed the aluminium handle is 0.4 mm longer. Not something you'd note without close inspection and not something that matters at all.
Andrew has warned us that the blade posts of the prototype allow more blade movement than those of the final version. As my callipers are at hand already I do a bit more measuring and the blade posts on the brass razor are 4.68mm in diameter, those on the aluminium version are 4.43mm. Just something to keep in mind for this prototype. This will not apply to the final version. I've put a fresh Voskhod blade into the 15A for tomorrow's shave and I didn't have any problems. The blade exposure looks identical on both sides of the head.
The Hone Type 15A just about fits into the black Standard razor stand, but it is not a comfortable fit and I'd be worried to cause scratches. Since I sold my black Standard razor (minus the stand), the stand is reserved for one of my favourite razors anyway. As you ask: My 1912 with a hefty stainless steel handle. A simple, matching upright stand (not a silly one like the OneBlade's) for the Hone razors is something I'd definitely welcome. Talking about the Standard razor - the Hone is much more handsome. I hardly noticed the word ‘HONE' engraved on the head and after having seen the head of the new Rocnel razor (the one with the catchy name) all if forgiven anyway.
So much for my first brief impressions. I like it. Tomorrow I'll find out how it shaves.
TBC...
Thank you @riverrun, a good write up, looking forward to the full review .

Hi Andrew
Congratulations on the 15a. Do you plan on selling a Mild+ top cap for the original 15 or are the geometry changes too fundamental for that to work?
Perhaps there is scope in the future, I batch manufacture, so I would have have to wait till I am at the point of ordering more. Its not such a fundamental change that it couldn't go across to the standard 15. If there was demand I would consider it.

And one more, why not...

Hone Type 15A - Shave #1
Ignore the stuff I wrote below that is marked by strikethrough. I had to revise this later on (shave #6), but those were my first impressions. It turned out that the Feather blade was rubbish.
  • Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food as pre shave
  • Wickham Super Soft English Rose soap
  • MÜHLE 33K257 synthetic brush
  • Hone Type 15A
  • Feather blade (1)
  • Alum block
  • No ASL (Can't think of anything I have that goes with ‘Rose')
  • Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food as after shave balm
A quick change of plan this morning meant that I removed the Voskhod blade and put a Feather blade in the 15A. It's my preferred blade for the brass 15 and I though it might give a better comparison.
I'll stick with my standard ‘pass around' four pass routine WTG/ATG/GTX/ATG. Level playing field and all that. I'll spare you a pass by pass narrative. I'll give my overall impressions.
The Hone 15A is of course much lighter than the brass version, but it feels nice and is well balanced. The handle is smooth, but not slippery at all. With the Feather blade it is markedly more aggressive than the brass razor. There is more blade feel than I'm happy with (on both sides of the head, so it's not a blade alignment issue). All those who said they'd like the Hone 15 if it was a bit more aggressive should definitely try the 15A. I preferred the smoothness of the bronze version. In my book the 15A is not a Feather tamer, but it doesn't need to be. I'll try a Voskhod or PolSilver blade tomorrow.
One thing I missed was the heat retention of the brass Hone. That hot brass head just feels so nice on my face.
At the end of the shave I have a very smooth face, but the alum block stings a bit more than I'm used to from the brass Hone. Not too bad though.
All in all not a bad shave, but I'm expecting better from a different blade. I'll report back with shave #2 tomorrow.
Here's the plan: I'll use a Voskhod or PolSilver blade in the 15A tomorrow. Then I'll do a shave off between the two razors (one half of the face each). Then I'll finally send the brass Type 15 back to Andrew for inspection. About time.
I was considering doing all sorts of Frankenhones (Aluminium top cap, brass base plate, aluminium handle… the combinations are manifold), but (that's) just silly. I'll review the Hone 15A as is (maybe with a Seygus 2016 spacer).
TBC..
Once again @riverrun , thank you.

Back
Top Bottom