How many shaves from a single edge blade?

Hello chaps I am getting more into my injector shaving. I just want to know what is the normal range for say a Schick blade? I know they are more expensive but are said to last longer. I normally bin a good DE blade say a Polsilver or Astra after 4-5 shaves normally.

Cheers.

Hello chaps I am getting more into my injector shaving. I just want to know what is the normal range for say a Schick blade? I know they are more expensive but are said to last longer. I normally bin a good DE blade say a Polsilver or Astra after 4-5 shaves normally.

Cheers.
Just keep shaving with the same blade until you feel that it needs changing! I get about 5-6 but others get more, it depends on a number of factors such as beard type, number of passes per shave. If it's a full moon or not ect.....:) Paul.

I dump DE blades after two shaves, just because I have hundreds of them and after two DE shaves I need to go back to SE.
Injector blades vary. Personnas last 5 shaves for me, Chinese Schicks about 10 shaves, Schick NOS Twin blades 10-20 shaves, Personna 74s 15-25 shaves. So, value for money, the Personnas even though they last the least number of shaves are best. I still won't buy any more, because the Chinese Schicks are so much better and the plastic dispensers are crap. Personna 74s last the longest, but are not worth the £3/blade I paid. If you see any Schick NOS Twin blades on ebay, don't buy them. They're mine.
That leaves Japanese Twins (weird bunch, between 1 and 10 shaves, currently overpriced) and Proline blades. I haven't made up my mind about Prolines. The first shave is outstanding, then most, but not all, seem to decline quickly. I need more shaves with them.
My personal choice from current blades are Chinese Schick blades. They last, are sharp and smooth and reasonably priced.

Ok bought this single edge business is more expensive than DE though isn't it:£26 for 14 blades. I initially got into trad shaving to save money lol. Why does nobody in the UK stock these. I tried the personnas and didn't like them.

Ok bought this single edge business is more expensive than DE though isn't it:£26 for 14 blades. I initially got into trad shaving to save money lol. Why does nobody in the UK stock these. I tried the personnas and didn't like them.
If that is your objective, you can. A vintage Tech for under a tenner, DE blades, synthetic brush, Palmolive stick - they will give you great shaves for very little money.
I'm in it for the fun I get from shaving in style with strange, vintage stuff. Still (mostly) cheaper than Gillette Fusion cartridges.

Yea was gonna say if you are using twin blades you are kind of going full circle though :) I bought one of those new old stock christmas cracker style techs on bay. It is ok nothing amazing.

I have only tried a few Single edge blades in my Colonial Brass General but I try to push each blade to their maximum.
Feather Artist Club Super Professional = 9 shaves
Feather Artist Club ProGuard Blade = 12 shaves
Schick Proline P-30 Blades = 8

Although the Schick proline's were the lowest, they are amongst some of the mildest blades and my favourite out there.
Closely followed by the Feather Proguard's.

Depending on you're stubble as YMMV on how long the single edge blade will last.

I only have one modern single edge razor in my den which is Colonial Razors the General

Feather Artist Club Professional maximum total shaves 15
Feather Artist Club Professional Super maximum total shaves 10
Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) maximum total shaves 28
Schick Proline P-30 maximum total shaves 8

Maximum total number of shaves per DE blade depending on the type of safety razors:-

Astra Superior Platinum: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Feather Hi-Stainles: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Gillette Nacet: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow SharpEdge: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette Silver Blue: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette Sputnik: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Ladas Super Stainless: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Perma-Sharp Super: 7 or 8 shaves max.
Polsilver Super Iridium: 7 or 8 shaves max.
Rapira Platinum Lux: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Rapira Voskhod: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Super Max Blue Diamond Platinum Coated: 2 or 3 shaves max.
Treet Platinum Super Stainless: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Wizamet Polsilver Brown: 5 or 6 shaves max.
German Wilkinson Sword: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Vintage English Wilkie (Wilkinson Sword): 11 or 12 shaves max.

Last edited:
The price varies between suppliers. I have brought packs 7 x 4 for £26 delivered.
Have you brought yours yet ? If you are desperate I can sell you some at £5 each + post.
As An alternative, a better blade is now available in the form of the Schick Proline Type B about £ 7 for 20 delivered.
All the info you need on this blade is in the Forum, please read it and you will find answers most of your queries. Happy Shaving.

Back
Top Bottom