How many shaves per blade

I appreciate this will totally be a YMMV thing and there is no definitive number, but just curious as to how many shaves you have before changing a DE blade out.

I am using Astra SP and have been chucking them out after 3 shaves (mostly 2 pass ones). The only reasons really being that I had a pretty duff shave once on the 4th use of the blade and that they cheap enough anyway compared to the money I wasted on c**ts.

Almost every blade I bin after 3 shaves, I'd prefer to start a new blade than squeeze an extra shave or two out of them. That said I am using a vintage Schick Plus Platinum blade, which I only use in my Schick Krona, that the next shave with be the 11th shave using it. I think it is coming to the end of its usage but maybe I can get a few more out of it.

These days blades are so cheap at penny's per blade, I'd rather start a new one and get comfortable shave than risk irritation and soreness.

Depending on the blade vs razor combo obviously but as I don't horde blades i do make them pay their rent in full on a weekly basis for most brands/models. GSB and Indian Gillette Wilkinson last 12 shaves in the Krona or around five in a slant.

I get a week (6 / 7 shaves) from a Personna. You can just write “cart” you know, they're not Lord Voldemort. :)

Edit - I should clarify that all 7 shaves are good ones, if the blade showed signs of deteriorating it would be gone before then.

Last edited:
I get a week (6 / 7 shaves) from a Personna. You can just write “cart” you know, they're not Lord Voldemort. :)
I'd rather you said 'he who must not be named', thanks. (I jest, of course) ;)

I get 2 shaves, perhaps 3, out of a blade before binning it. I don't shave hugely often (thrice weekly, usually) so spend is mitigated vs a daily shaver.

There's a couple of these type of threads which may be worth a read - the 'search' function is your friend! :D

FYI below of various type of razors (I have too many) along with maximum shaves per blade in my den.

Astra Superior Platinum: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Feather Hi-Stainles: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Gillette Nacet: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow SharpEdge: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette Silver Blue: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette Sputnik: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Kai Stainless Steel: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Ladas Super Stainless: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds): 5 or 6 shaves max.
Perma-Sharp Super: 7 or 8 shaves max.
Polsilver Super Iridium: 7 or 8 shaves max.
Rapira Platinum Lux: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Rapira Voskhod: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Super Max Blue Diamond Platinum Coated: 2 or 3 shaves max.
Wizamet Polsilver Brown: 5 or 6 shaves max.
German Wilkinson Sword: 4 or 5 shaves max.

Back
Top Bottom