How to best clean and polish a blade?

before_left.jpg
Got this for next to nothing as a restoration candidate. Scales were beyond help so I made a new set. Also made a half hearted attempt at cleaning and polishing blade but not too happy with the result. A lot of elbow grease needed for sure but if possible I would like hints on the most effective method to get rid of stains like watermarks. Using wet and dry? Grit? Autosol? I see pitting as patina so no need to go that deep. A mirror polish is nice but the important thing for me is an even shine without obvious blemishes. Anyone?
polishing_needed.jpg
Wedge mystery: When sanded wedge was flush with scales but after some oiling and drying either scales have swollen or ebony wedge shrunk :-(

Last edited:
View attachment 32114
Got this for next to nothing as a restoration candidate. Scales were beyond help so I made a new set. Also made a half hearted attempt at cleaning and polishing blade but not to happy with the result. A lot of elbow grease needed for sure but if possible I would like hints on the most effective method to get rid of stains like watermarks. Using wet and dry? Grit? Autosol? I see pitting as patina so no need to go that deep. A mirror polish is nice but the important thing for me is an even shine without obvious blemishes. Anyone?
Autosol is probably your best choice as it's not too abrasive.

Honed it today, following the advice from Fergiebilly about keeping a watchful eye on the heel the resulting edge was very very sharp all the way from heel to toe, just ask my right pinkie, lost focus for a moment handling the blade and OUCH :-(

Last edited:
Honed it today, following the advice from Fergiebilly about keeping a watchful eye on the heel the resulting edge was very very sharp all the way from heel to toe, just ask my right pinkie, lost focus for a moment handling the blade and OUCH :-(
Thats Great..Once the Heel to Toe Penny Drops Setting the Bevel then You are Cookin with Gas..Its Rare that I See a Razor that has Been Honed Properly from Heel to Toe..:)

When I Do Come Across them I Can Usually Identify Whom Honed it..In the UK at least..Cause there are Few that Set the Bevels Properly..You Should be Able to Shave from the 1 K Bevel Hone..And Yeah..Slash a Finger..:D:D:D

Billy

Lesson learned from a couple of blades: a huge difference between stains, some will come off with polishes like Autosol, Peek or Glanol and some will leave an aura then it is either more work removing metal with wet&dry and polish again for a shiny blade or just cave in and accept a slightly blemished but true to original grind blade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom