How's this for lather?

Hi gents,

(is there a female fanbase on here as well?? In that case my sincere apologies! Please read Hi all;))

I've only been DE shaving for about five weeks now and got my tabac soap and ASB today. Had to be sniffed and tried immediately of course and I made a small video of the lather. (mumbles something along the lines of "down the rabbit hole..").

What are your thoughts? Lathered up pretty easily, started way too dry but think I got it nearly right after adding water a couple of times, maybe a bit too wet in the video. Input much appreciated!

20170306_174137.jpg

Hi gents,

(is there a female fanbase on here as well?? In that case my sincere apologies! Please read Hi all;))

I've only been DE shaving for about five weeks now and got my tabac soap and ASB today. Had to be sniffed and tried immediately of course and I made a small video of the lather. (mumbles something along the lines of "down the rabbit hole..").

What are your thoughts? Lathered up pretty easily, started way too dry but think I got it nearly right after adding water a couple of times, maybe a bit too wet in the video. Input much appreciated!

View attachment 23951
Good job, you can't go wrong with Tabac, leave it on its own with a damp brush and it will lather its self. Good choice of soap by the way, but you must try OSP, it's the law!!! :)

Slightly too wet for me , I'd cut a few drops of water but you can always find your own preference.

That's what I thought as well, but hard to tell as I didn't shave with it, just lathered it up to try it. Can't wait till tomorrow to try it.

you must try OSP, it's the law!!! :)

I buy something that I probably won't ever finish and get the advice to buy more.. I love it, it's like car wax, except that I can own more than one car and it would be weird to offer other people to shave their face for them once in a while.

Which scent of the OSP would you recommend? I like that they come in small containers as well. What's so much better about that compared to other soaps and creams?

Yes it is good that James is selling the smaller tubs now, as for scent ,well that is very subjective what scents do you like? I have just about all of his hard soap scents and the one I like the most is Bay rum followed by lavender but they are all great. There is twelve scents to pick from so at first just go for one you like the sound of. You won't be disapointed I'm sure. :) What is so much better is he only uses the best natural ingredients going, his creams are very good by all account but I like hard soaps best
This is my opinion and there are other great soaps out there but if someone said to me you can only have one brand of soap from now on, it would be OSP for me :)

Last edited:
You're right about that and I have no idea what I really like yet. I'd say from the list Bay Rum, Lavender, Sandalwood and Barbershop would be my first ones to try. My girlfriend hates cedarwood though, so maybe not the barbershop, or get that for travelling.

Now working my way through the Truefitt and Hill sample pack. Liked the Grafton, so that would maybe come close to the Fougere as well..

Can't really find it on the OSP website, but does he have a shop to try the soaps/scents?

You're right about that and I have no idea what I really like yet. I'd say from the list Bay Rum, Lavender, Sandalwood and Barbershop would be my first ones to try. My girlfriend hates cedarwood though, so maybe not the barbershop, or get that for travelling.

Now working my way through the Truefitt and Hill sample pack. Liked the Grafton, so that would maybe come close to the Fougere as well..

Can't really find it on the OSP website, but does he have a shop to try the soaps/scents?
No I think he just sells from his website and from third party vendors, I have the scented soaps you list and you will be happy with any of those. :) if you buy the Rosemary and peppermint and decide you don't like it I will buy it from you because that is one I have not got.
Now there's an offer you can't refuse but I think if it has OSP on the tub you will love it! :) Did I mention that I like OSP? :)

+1 wrt OSP.

I have just started with the Bay Rum. I wasn't that sure about it when I first opened the tub, but after a few shaves, I have come to appreciated the depth and complexity of the scent. Performance excellent.

The other OSP I have is Neroli. Very different to the Bay Rum, it is a bright, jubilant floral scent, with subtle suggestions of citrus, and sharing the established OSP reputation for performance.

The tubs are wide and excellent to lather/load from. You could smash these bad boys all day, every day, loading the brush until you were lathered from head to toe and they still would last forever. OK, you pay more than you do for a Palmolive stick, but you're still getting excellent value for money.

I've been after a tub of the Bay Rum for a while, but nowhere seems to have it in stock at the moment! Grrr!
If you can't find any via the third party vendors you are out of luck, James had to stop making this particular soap fragrance because of a massive price hike in the raw ingredients a while back, let's hope the price of these raw ingredient prices return to normal so he can continue to make this fantastic soap. This only effects the bay rum shaving soap, thankfully he has many other great soap scents.

Reactions: AJP
Well I've just let my girlfriend decide, got her to read the list of available scents and she chose three out of my four favorites, winning!

Going to go for sandalwood, fougere and barbershop.

Also like the sound of grapefruit & menthol and Bay rum but start with three and then take it from there.

At the moment I only face lather and I travel a lot with my shaving kit. Would you guys go for the soaps or the creams and why? Any difference except maybe personal preference?

Then the last question, any experience with the aftershave tonics? I tend to have quite dry skin that pulls a bit if I don't use a good balm, will the tonics work for me?

Thanks for all the input!

Hi gents,

View attachment 23951
Mmmmmm Tabac!

Yes definitely hmmm! My girlfriend loves it!

I couldn't resist and ordered OSP sandalwood soap and tonic combo and fougere cream. Soap is brilliant, not your usual sandalwood smell I think but smelled brilliant and lather was thick and slick. Fougere was totally different than what I expected, takes some getting used to and I think I prefer the soap over the fairly soft cream.

Barbershop soap next!

Back
Top Bottom