I Think I’ve Found the One for Me

I've been DE shaving on and off for a few years now.

Only ever had one razor and that was the Merkur 34C HD.

I struggled to find the right blade combination to get a close shave with no irritation. I have settled on the perma sharp as my go to blade, in rotation with polsilver and feather.

However, even with the above blades, I found that I could never get an absolutely great shave with no irritation. My beard is coarse and my neck area sensitive. I usually did one WTG pass and maybe a XTG pass. I got a good shave, not great, and I had some irritation. Some days none, other days moderate. I found that the Merkur struggled with more than a couple days of growth, especially around my chin area where my beard is at its thickest.

I decided to get a new razor. After quite a bit of research and forum surfing, I went with the Ikon Shavecraft 7 piece set from Connaught. Thought it would give me the chance to try different styles of head.

I saw that the Ikon Tech 104 was meant to be a very aggressive razor with some struggling to get a long with it.

Out of sheer curiosity to see what the difference was between a very aggressive razor and the Merkur 34C ,which I understand is quite mild, the first shave with the set tonight was with the Tech.

Loaded the Tech with a perma sharp blade. The usual hot water prep with poraso sensitive pre-shave cream and wickham's 1912 Cashmere soap.

Instantly I felt the difference between the two razors and what an agressive razor felt like. I discovered the true meaning of no pressure when shaving. After I found the right angle and took my time, I was rewarded with a single WTG pass that was the closest and smoothest shave I have ever had.

I'll give the Ikon 101-103 heads a try to see what result I get with them. If the Tech continues to give me incredible shaves in one pass, the other heads in the set will get very limited use.

I've been DE shaving on and off for a few years now.

Only ever had one razor and that was the Merkur 34C HD.

I struggled to find the right blade combination to get a close shave with no irritation. I have settled on the perma sharp as my go to blade, in rotation with polsilver and feather.

However, even with the above blades, I found that I could never get an absolutely great shave with no irritation. My beard is coarse and my neck area sensitive. I usually did one WTG pass and maybe a XTG pass. I got a good shave, not great, and I had some irritation. Some days none, other days moderate. I found that the Merkur struggled with more than a couple days of growth, especially around my chin area where my beard is at its thickest.

I decided to get a new razor. After quite a bit of research and forum surfing, I went with the Ikon Shavecraft 7 piece set from Connaught. Thought it would give me the chance to try different styles of head.

I saw that the Ikon Tech 104 was meant to be a very aggressive razor with some struggling to get a long with it.

Out of sheer curiosity to see what the difference was between a very aggressive razor and the Merkur 34C ,which I understand is quite mild, the first shave with the set tonight was with the Tech.

Loaded the Tech with a perma sharp blade. The usual hot water prep with poraso sensitive pre-shave cream and wickham's 1912 Cashmere soap.

Instantly I felt the difference between the two razors and what an agressive razor felt like. I discovered the true meaning of no pressure when shaving. After I found the right angle and took my time, I was rewarded with a single WTG pass that was the closest and smoothest shave I have ever had.

I'll give the Ikon 101-103 heads a try to see what result I get with them. If the Tech continues to give me incredible shaves in one pass, the other heads in the set will get very limited use.
I have the 6 piece (X3 Head + 101 & 104 base plates) and I have since added the 103 and SBS heads. My favourites are the 101 and the SBS, the 101 usually needs 3 passes and SBS and 104 only need 2. I like the 104 but it really is the most aggressive DE I own, keep a super light touch and it gives a super close shave. I used the 101 today with a Racer (Lord) Platinum blade it tooks 3 passes but it was super smooth and no irritation.

I am sure you will enjoy trying the rest of the 7 piece set. I have not tried the 102 head, my set did not have this so I would be keen to know how this compares to the rest of the heads/plates. My 6 piece set had the X3 which gives inconsistent results for me, when it works well it is great but usually it fails to deliver a shave as good as the other iKon heads I have.

I have the 101 head & it's super mild ( ridiculously so ) but gives a beautiful shave. It's a work of art, beautifully made. It's so nice when you find a razor that is perfect for you, for me it's my ATT R1 that I use 90% of the time.

That's really interested me, as I've had similar experience with the 34C - decent shaves, but not great. I've been on the lookout for an upgrade and you may have pointed me in the right direction!

Having said that, I recently finished with my first Rubie blade in the 34c and I got 3 very good shaves, so I may be starting to unlock the secrets of success with it.

It makes it a lot easier to apply zero pressure with the Ikon razor since I find it quite a lot heavier than the Merkur.

I also find the slightly longer handle on the Ikon (bulldog II handle) to fit my hands much better.

I have the 101 head & it's super mild ( ridiculously so ) but gives a beautiful shave. It's a work of art, beautifully made. It's so nice when you find a razor that is perfect for you, for me it's my ATT R1 that I use 90% of the time.

Just gave the 101 a one pass WTG shave to give it a try. Complete opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of aggressiveness compared to the 104 Tech.

Even compared to the Merkur 34C, the 101 is a lot milder. However, I found that the 101 still gave a better shave than the Merkur and seemed to be able to cut through the two days worth of stubble better than my Merkur used too. This time I went with a polsilver blade instead of the perma sharp. I also went with MWF soap.

On a side note, I have recently moved from quite a soft water area to a hard water area. I really struggled to get a good lather on the MFW. My other soaps have been fine.

I have the 102, but decided that it is too mild for me. It is well made, and looks very nice, but I love a razor with a bit more "bite".

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

I have the 102, but decided that it is too mild for me. It is well made, and looks very nice, but I love a razor with a bit more "bite".

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

I just finished giving the 102 a try.

Normally, I would never shave on consecutive days as I would get quite bad irritation. However, I have been so pleased with how good and irritation free shaves that I've had with the Tech and 101, I decided to give it a try.

I found the 102 to be more efficient than the 101, but quite a bit less smooth.

Maybe it's because it's my first try with a slant, but I really struggled to get the right shave angle and found that it tugged on the hairs quite often.

I expected quite a quick and smooth shave since I only had 1 day worth of growth, but I ended up a bit disappointed with the 102. I did end up with some irritation as well.

Despite the dissapointment, I still had a better and nicer shave with the 102 than I used to with the Merkur.

Back
Top Bottom