I'm new to this but it seems to be getting worse !!!

My first post here....

I started using DE razor a couple of weeks ago and it all seemed to be going well.

I didn't have any shaving cream so used some Gillette Series Gel. I have been very gentle with the razor too and the shaves have been good.

I've also watched tons of videos and read more about this style of shaving than I thought was possible !!

This week, I have had for the first time, a shaving rash at the bottom right of my neck and have found it painful !

This has coincided with me using some Palmolive Shave Cream and changing the blade on my razor to an Astra Superior Platinum.

I moisturise afterwards so this has led to it not being a painful as it could be but I was a bit nervous going about it this morning.

I've never had a rash using my Wilkinson Sword 5 bladed razor and the neck is the only place that any form of rash has appeared. I've even managed to avoid cutting or nicking myself !

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to give up on this style of shaving without giving it my best shot !!

Thanks in anticipation - Richard

Though Astras seemed to be highly recommended as a foolproof blade for all, I tried one as my very first blade and had a horrendous experience. I have since returned to try one again, and after 3 shaves with the blade can confirm they are still horrendous.

They do not work for me in my EJ DE89, and maybe not for you also. They don't seem sharp at all.

Different blades can need different angles to shave well. They can work for you in a specific razor or not.
I would advise not changing two things at once when starting out, especially as learning to make a good lather is a process in itself.

If you have been using gel from a can and have swapped it's most likely your lathering technique if it's too dry the blade will drag rather than glide and if it's too wet you will also loose the glide and end up with drag, may be the blade that's a dud or maybe just not for you. Palmolive cream is brilliant but as with all creams and soaps they take some dialling in its all a learning experience. When I first started I used the macca root thought it looked fine but was far too dry to shave with and caused a bad rash on my neck...don't be put off stick with it you will get there

Hi, there are too many variables in shaving. I love the extremely superb Saponificio varesino soap, but yesterday tried to lather it with a synthetic brush. Result, awful lather, no cushion or glide and bad skin. Personally, I wouldn't mess about with a soap stick.a good tub of cream, or soap puck gives great results very easily.

If you have been using gel from a can and have swapped it's most likely your lathering technique if it's too dry the blade will drag rather than glide and if it's too wet you will also loose the glide and end up with drag, may be the blade that's a dud or maybe just not for you. Palmolive cream is brilliant but as with all creams and soaps they take some dialling in its all a learning experience. When I first started I used the macca root thought it looked fine but was far too dry to shave with and caused a bad rash on my neck...don't be put off stick with it you will get there
+1 to this. Could even be products used in the cream... I can't do anything with sandalwood in. Makes my face red and itchy.

My guess would definitely be more water in your lather.

Thank you gentlemen.

After 30+ years of shaving, I didn't know there would be so much to learn.

I have rewatched some of the lathering videos by mantic59 on Youtube again and just guess I need to work a bit harder on my lathering.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it's a little bit on the dry side as you said Dansco.

I shall report back !!

Gillette gel is hot garbage. If you must use a Gel, king of shaves is ok and I imagine the more expensive boutique gels would work but gel is for cartridge shaving imo.

For soap and creams (Palmolive is good btw) , generally, the wetter the better. Lather is for glide and wetting the hair. Cushion is a poor substitute for technique.
Face lather with a cream. Put the cream out of the tube directly on your face and then go at it with a wet brush until it is slick, shiny and as "fluffy" as you can get without the lather failing. (It should peak nicely on the brush).

Blades maketh the shave. I hate Wilky blades. They are a bloodbath for me. I don't much like astra's but they are usable in my shaves. I like personas and bic blades, others hate them. Blades are the very definition of YMMV. Get a sample pack but go back to your WS blades whilst you hone your lathering and shaving techniques.

Also, I think we all have an off day wet shaving regardless of our experience or equipment. In most cases, not going for the BBS and reverting to a favourite set up for a few shaves gets us back in the groove!

I would seriously consider the scent of the cream. Having re read your post I have another theory.

Last week I used a soap which is moderately scented. It did not affect my face during or after my shave, but the following morning I had a very hot, red, spotty rash behind my ear where I must have missed washing off the soap.

Make sure you wash the bottom of your neck well after shaving.

I have tried 6 or 7 different blades (I think, could be more), and have not found a significant issue with the shave of any. I'd be very surprised if it was the blade causing the issue. Also the rash would be all over your face.

It could still be that your lather needs more water but I'd bet if the rash is localised you just haven't washed the cream off properly. And if it says sandalwood scent you can probably just pay me now ;);)

Ok, had a shave last night and made the lather a touch wetter and there seemed to be little or no issue.

There's still a little sensitivity where the rash was BUT that has improved vastly with no new "outbreak" so possibly it's all settling down !!

Back
Top Bottom