Injector Blades

globalm

Administrator
Staff Member
Supporter
I thought I would post my impressions of a couple of different blades I have acquired so far and used in my type 'E' injector.

I first tried the Connaught coated stainless blades which are, I believe, USA current production by Personna. This is a good blade, smooth and gives a comfortable shave. I got a week out of one but was probably pushing it a bit. It didn't get 'tuggy' really but just became less effective.

I next had a go with a NOS, dutch-made Schick blade. This turned out to be considerably sharper and, despite a couple of tiny weepers, a very comfortable shave with no irritation. I need to be a little more careful with these.

I'm looking forward to trying the Chinese current-production Schick blades next and a few other NOS blades I have acquired.

Of the two tested so far, I would use the Personnas for everyday, good shaves and the NOS chappies for 'best' but with a bit more deliberation.

globalm said:
I thought I would post my impressions of a couple of different blades I have acquired so far and used in my type 'E' injector.

I first tried the Connaught coated stainless blades which are, I believe, USA current production by Personna. This is a good blade, smooth and gives a comfortable shave. I got a week out of one but was probably pushing it a bit. It didn't get 'tuggy' really but just became less effective.

I next had a go with a NOS, dutch-made Schick blade. This turned out to be considerably sharper and, despite a couple of tiny weepers, a very comfortable shave with no irritation. I need to be a little more careful with these.

I'm looking forward to trying the Chinese current-prodcution Schick blades next and a few other NOS blades I have acquired.

Of the two tested so far, I would use the Personnas for everyday, good shaves and the NOS chappies for 'best' but with a bit more deliberation.

There's nothing wrong with the Persona's, but some people are of the opinion that vintage blades are the Dogs B.......cks and the Dutch made Schick Blades are the most efficient injector blades ever made........I was really impressed with the USA Schick Injector Blades and also found them to be considerably sharper.......I find that they really smooth out a shave with the G Types in particular.......I personally find that the E Types are more dangerous for sure, but for me they are smoother than the G Types......

I still haven't received my Chinese Schick Blades from Amazon......Good job my life's not depending on them....MMMMmmmmm..:mad:

Always good to experiment

Enjoy :icon_razz:

Gillette Platinum Plus are nice ... smooth as well as fiendishly sharp. NOS, though, so happy hunting. Gillette's Twinjector blades are evil sharp and actually quite vindictive, but if you've got a lion-tamer kind of hand, you can get them to toe the line.

globalm said:
I first tried the Connaught coated stainless blades which are, I believe, USA current production by Personna. This is a good blade, smooth and gives a comfortable shave.

Good to see you trying different blades and you already found out what happens when not paying much attention using a sharper than usual old one. Happens to me also sometimes, the figuring on them being more forgiving than what's true.

You are on the way to finding some good fitting blades. If there's some vintage ones in the mix, they can be had for a reasonable DE blade like price if you're patient and know what you're bidding on. Personna, Schick, and Gillette all made some nice blades but you gotta try each type and see what's up..

I'll be curious how you find the ones to follow,

Martin

I finally received my Chinese Schick Injector Blades through todays post.......:icon_rolleyes:........No wonder they took so long as they have been sent directly from the USA......

Amazon UK must be ordering them from the USA on an order to order basis rather than having them in stock this side of the pond........I must say.....the dispensers are very high quality........ Hope its not a case of "Nice legs Shame About the Blades"........:icon_rolleyes:

Not a good idea to run out of Chinese Schick blades then .......:icon_razz:

Fergiebilly said:
I finally received my Chinese Schick Injector Blades through todays post.......:icon_rolleyes:........No wonder they took so long as they have been sent directly from the USA......

Amazon UK must be ordering them from the USA on an order to order basis rather than having them in stock this side of the pond........I must say.....the dispensers are very high quality........ Hope its not a case of "Nice legs Shame About the Blades"........:icon_rolleyes:

Was it perhaps an Amazon reseller that you used rather then Amazon themselves? I find it can be difficult to spot where things are coming from sometimes.

I've been trying out the Dutch NOS Schick and, while it is dangerous to generalise after one blade, I wonder whether these are a bit like Feathers in that what started as an ultra-sharp blade has become blunt quite quickly, certainly quicker than the new Personnas. My shave this morning with a day 4 NOS blade was quite tuggy and irritated. New blade tomorrow!

It was definitely Amazon themselves ......No doubt about it.....:icon_rolleyes:

I found the opposite, I am finding that the USA made Schick blades are staying really sharp compared to Personna Blades.....I am seriously impressed by the smoothness of them....People appear to have different experiences with different blades......I wish I had a thousand of them......:icon_razz:

Hi Paul

I just had my first shave with one of those Chinese Schick Blades from Amazon in a Type G.....:icon_rolleyes:.... I presented the blade with a good two days even brisk growth of whiskers......
Well........What can I say ?......For me, they certainly feel a lot different from the Personnas.....Night and day......At first I thought the G Type had a silencer on the end of it as the there was wasn't a lot of audible feed back as I am used to hearing with a Personna Blade.......:huh:
The G Type felt more like a very mild razor on silent mode until my fourth pass against the grain..... But here's the paradox.......:huh:....I found this blade to be deceptively sharp, very smooth, efficient and forgiving .....:icon_razz:

I have heard Martin talking about the difference that different blade combination's have on the shaving quality of a Schick Injector.........Well, he's absolutely on the case...:icon_rolleyes:
The more that I experiment with different blade combinations and Shimming GEM Blades in Older SE's to replicate older stropping blades, I becoming more convinced that a loud audible feed back is not necessarily a good measure of the efficiency of a blade.......

For me anyway , it will take a more than a moment to get used to the Chinese Schick Injector Blades because they just feel so different .......:huh:...

For a blade that felt as if it was almost doing nothing it offered me an incredibly smooth all over BBS irritation free shave......:icon_razz:.

CHINESE PROVERB
Something Comes From Nothing

globalm said:
Fergiebilly said:

Was it perhaps an Amazon reseller that you used rather then Amazon themselves? I find it can be difficult to spot where things are coming from sometimes.

I've been trying out the Dutch NOS Schick and, while it is dangerous to generalise after one blade, I wonder whether these are a bit like Feathers in that what started as an ultra-sharp blade has become blunt quite quickly, certainly quicker than the new Personnas. My shave this morning with a day 4 NOS blade was quite tuggy and irritated. New blade tomorrow!

All is forgiven. I've since found out that the adverse sensations I was experienceing were due to the start of an outbreak of a skin condition I have. Gentle shaving and appropriate medication has put things back to normal and the NOS blade is now smooth and is lasting longer than the Personna.

My second shaving experience with the Chinese Schick Injector Blade.......:s

Two days have passed since my first shave with the Chinese Schick Blades in a Schick Type G......Tonight I decided to try them in a Canadian E Type which is by far my most aggressive Schick Injector.......:icon_rolleyes:

I was planning to have my usual two passes and wee touch up with the Canadian Type E, but I changed my mind and decided to have a three passer after I felt how well the razor was behaving compared to my experience's with Personns Blades ....

This time, from the first pass, I was experiencing a good amount of audible feed back unlike the my last shave with the G Type.....The Canadian E Type has a bigger gap between the comb and the blade than any of the USA made Type Es' and it was the all familiar sound of "Buttering Toast" that we are all familiar with and love to hear....:heart:

However , the characteristics of the Canadian E Type had changed, somewhat, from the last time I used it with a Personna Blade.......This time the Canadian E Type was feeling a lot less dangerous and more forgiving........ I was experiencing a new found freedom of expression with the Canadian E Type....... I instantly felt that I could do no wrong .....:icon_rolleyes:.

Here again, I was getting the message that the Chinese Schick Blades just feel so different to Personna Blades........

What more can I say about them really other than I am finding them to be so different .......I wouldn't suggest for a moment that the end result is any better or worse with the Chinese Injector Blades, but for me the shaving experience with both the Type G and Canadian Type E is just so different........

These are a lot more expensive than Personna blades, but for me, they are worth every extra penny ......JUST TO FEEL THE DIFFFERNCE ........:icon_razz:

Billy

Tried the Chinese current production blades this morning. I also broke the cardinal testing rule by changing the razor as well, as I wanted to try a newly acquired adjustable. Wow - that razor is MILD. I had to put it on 8 to be sure there was a blade in there!

The surprising thing though, was that the shave was excellent - DFS+ without effort or sensation. These blades are first-class.

Back
Top Bottom