Jinhao X750 Deluxe Fountain Pen

Having bought many pens over the years in the 'hundred's of pounds' each bracket, I had to think long and hard before spending £1.73 (that included shipping!?) on a brand new black Jinhao X750 Deluxe FP all the way from downtown Honkers.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I pulled the trigger on fleabay and hoped for the best. Incredibly, 10 days later a shiny new pen - albeit in a not very protective 'envelope' - came through the letterbox. Thankfully, the pen survived the journey intact and was, in fact, in mint condition.

First thoughts - it is comfortingly solid and weighty, and looks properly classic in its black metal barrel and 'chrome' trim. Everything snaps into place and screws together nicely where it should do. Hold on, what's this? A convertor is included as well! Jeez, I've spent much more just buying convertors on their own!?

I tried the pen dry just to get a feel for the 18K gold-plated M nib. Straight out of the box, it was surprisingly good. Still, twenty seconds on some 8000 and 12000 micromesh and it was like butter.

I loaded up the convertor with Diamine Jet Black and proceeded to write after priming the nib - basically helping the ink 'draw' with some tissue paper and water. It lays down a lovely wet line, medium+ thick and is very comfortable in the hand. Upon start up, and after stopping to write for a good few seconds with the cap off, it does take a few millimetres of travel along the page to draw ink again but that really is only a very minor complaint and easily worked around. Also, I found that it works best on heavier / coarser paper.

This pen is a true working-class hero - for the money it is simply unbelievably good. Obviously, it's too early to comment on quality control and longevity but, on this example, and having used it a lot over the past week or so, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't hold up to normal usage.

Thanks for the heads-up Richard @Darkbulb - I would never, otherwise, have gone for one of these; now I'm hooked on Jinhao! ;)

Great review.
I have a 750 inbound and am really looking forward to it.
Also got a Andersen Pens Fine nib waiting to be put into it when it gets here :)

The incredible thing about Jinhao - apart from the prices... - is the number of models.
It is said that he who learns the true number of the Jinhao models will ride the inky dragon to the great bottle in the sky.

Oh, and @Nico1970 what's your next Jinhao? ;)

Oh, and @Nico1970 what's your next Jinhao? ;)

I'm also currently test driving the Jinhao 599 in transparent black medium.

Furthermore, because of your technicolour post of the other day, I found myself strangely - and utterly helplessly - drawn into purchasing an 8nr multicoloured pack of the same! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

EDIT - not all for me, you understand...:D

I'm also currently test driving the Jinhao 599 in transparent black medium.

Furthermore, because of your technicolour post of the other day, I found myself strangely - and utterly helplessly - drawn into purchasing an 8nr multicoloured pack of the same! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

EDIT - not all for me, you understand...:D

Oh of course not. They will be...given away...as gifts. That's it :)

On your next Jinhao shopping spree have a look to see if you can find some decently priced metal bodied (v1) 599s. It has the Lamy nib clone and it's about twice the weight of the plastic ones. Feels real nice. I have yet to actually write with it yet though....

Read this last week and this happened today.
680619805d21b7a01477eec656ba96ae.jpg

The x750 arrived today in just under a week and for a couple of quid. The ink was from europens and the squared pad from lidl. The pen is fantastic for the money and I was worried I might need micro mesh to smooth the Nib but it's fine. Rinsed it out before the first fill away we go. Nice solid pen and well finished. Currently laid up at home from an operation so going to teach myself some modern calligraphy.
I also have an x599 on the way too. I found both from eBay sellers with fine or medium fine nibs.

Well and truly enabled but for that kind of money I don't mind at all. My eldest son has his eye on it. Since they no longer seem to teach handwriting in school it's a habit I won't mind encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read this last week and this happened today.
680619805d21b7a01477eec656ba96ae.jpg

The x750 arrived today in just under a week and for a couple of quid. The ink was from europens and the squared pad from lidl. The pen is fantastic for the money and I was worried I might need micro mesh to smooth the Nib but it's fine. Rinsed it out before the first fill away we go. Nice solid pen and well finished. Currently laid up at home from an operation so going to teach myself some modern calligraphy.
I also have an x599 on the way too. I found both from eBay sellers with fine or medium fine nibs.

Well and truly enabled but for that kind of money I don't mind at all. My eldest son has his eye on it. Since they no longer seem to teach handwriting in school it's a habit I won't mind encouraging.

Very nice looking 750 btw.
Welcome to the pen rabbit hole.

Any tips for ink? Ordered diamine in majestic blue to start.

Diamine's Majestic Blue is a great colour. It's a little different from other Diamine inks because it takes so long to dry, so doesn't really represent their usual ink.
Great to hear your x750 writes so well, it can be a bit hit and miss. It's remarkable how classy and well made it is for such a low price - enjoy.

BTW: Lots of ink reviews here at FountainPenNetwork

I highly rate mine - though I had one a few years ago that ran dry no matter what I did to it. I use mine with Carbon Black ink to address envelopes (it's waterproof), as it can be dismantled for cleaning.

Just got the 599 this week in black. This has the fine nib whereas the 750 had medium fine. Initially I prefer the larger nib but that may change. Both nibs work perfectly out of the package. All I did was rinse them out.
Now off to look at inks and papers. (And maybe a Kaweco sport). Just as I climbed out of the razor rabbit hole I fall down another.

I was given a 750 last Christmas from my friend's girlfriend (alright guys, he knew about it!) and I have to say I hadn't heard of them, these are fabulous pens with a nib that is as smooth as silk to write with. I too like Nico have a number of pens, some more expensive than others but in relation to comparisons this writes as well as my Visconti or any of the Watermans (I like them) that I possess.

On a separate note, SBREBROWN videos on youtube are a source of excellent reviews on fountain pens and inks fully recommended!!

I was given a 750 last Christmas from my friend's girlfriend (alright guys, he knew about it!) and I have to say I hadn't heard of them, these are fabulous pens with a nib that is as smooth as silk to write with. I too like Nico have a number of pens, some more expensive than others but in relation to comparisons this writes as well as my Visconti or any of the Watermans (I like them) that I possess.

On a separate note, SBREBROWN videos on youtube are a source of excellent reviews on fountain pens and inks fully recommended!!

The nibs that come with the "out of the box" Jinhaos have always worked OK for me, but I find them a little characterless. I can write with most variations of nib, and I've had considerable pleasure in switching in different nibs to Jinhaos. Regrinding the original nibs hasn't been quite so good, but I'm no expert at that.

Some nib swaps are more successful than others, and it's possible to damage the pen, but that's not a disaster at these prices ( unless it's a favourite pen ). There are plenty of videos (Goulet et al) showing how to do this.

Mine was a touch scratchy, but I smoothed it on some micromesh the other day, and it's improved it noticeably. I think it was in inner shoulders of the tines that were slightly exposed, as it seemed to want to tramline on strokes close to the vertical, and scratched on horizontal strokes.

Mine was a touch scratchy, but I smoothed it on some micromesh the other day, and it's improved it noticeably. I think it was in inner shoulders of the tines that were slightly exposed, as it seemed to want to tramline on strokes close to the vertical, and scratched on horizontal strokes.

Interesting. I'm not sure if the nibs have any special finishes like irridium, but I think they're plain steel. My own experience is that, like yours, they can write a little rough, but after about 3 or 4 converter fills-worth of writing they settle down, presumably from any snaggy bits wearing off.

Back
Top Bottom