Just getting into straights

Hi all I have many DE and SE razors and I'm going to start getting into straights and understand there are a lot of rubbish brands and razors not what they seam !
Could you please help me in choosing a straight razor to get started with and one that will keep its value when the time comes to invest in a new razor .

Thanks Ian

Have a look at the gold dollar which have had remedial work done by billyji1 (seller name) on eBay. They're about £20 and, although they likely won't increase at all in value, won't lose much value if any. It's made of some decent steel and will come shave ready from the seller mentioned earlier. If you take to it, re-approach the question and keep your eyes peeled on ebay.

If you don't want one that 'cheap' then update us with how much you're willing to spend and we can inform you a little better!

Hope that helps!

In All Depends on Budget..Some People Hold a Revisor in High Regard ..Current Dovo SRs are Lovey Shavers..I Have Honed & Shaved with a Number of them..On a Shoe String a Shave Ready Gold Dollar will Do the Job..Vintage SRs are Hard to Compete with in My Books..:)

Billy

The other option is to look at cheaper razors such as Russian razors - we can point you in the right direction of where to get them. Have one of those sent to Fergiebilly above for honing and you have a great shave-ready razor for circa £40-50. It likely won't lose value either. I'm enjoying mine for sure! :)

Lots of options, lots of traps. I would go for either a vintage Solingen or Sheffield, 5/8 or 6/8. Going bigger can result in disappointment. Starting with a GD isn´t an option if you want to keep value.
Wedge or hollow, straight or smile? What suits your face? You will learn as you go.
As mentioned above start with a vintage, and get it honed properly.
Go slow, start with the flat surfaces of your face and advance from there, learn to strop before thinking of honing and so on.
Remember that wedges are stiffer and wont follow your face in the same manner as a hollow grinds. Same goes for smileys.You must take a little more care to not cut yourself with these.
Welcome to the world of Straights, it´s addicted.

I did I don't know much about straight razors if I'm honest can you shed some light I what I've got please thanks Ian

The CJB is just a good way to get started and see if you like it or not, without spending much money. It also has a head design/angle/shape that makes it easier to learn on than the Feather SS.

Not too much to learn about these, really. I guess I would call them shavettes, or barber straights maybe. Actual straight razors? The only thing I know about them is that I don't know a damn thing about them. [emoji1]

Back
Top Bottom