Just starting DE: how does this set look?

I'm just getting into DE. It seems that it might be cheaper in the long run (as a student, that's a main concern at the moment). I was hoping for some advice on my starter set:

Soap: Dr Harris Windsor Shaving Soap £13
Brush: Omega 49 £8.95
No idea whether this is the best brush to start with. I feel that synthetic might be a better option as my skin is pretty sensitive? Would really appreciate some help with this.
Razor/Blades: Will be getting it as a uni gift so luckily don't need to buy anything for this
Alum Block: Omega Stick £5.95
Would ideally want something cheaper but would need one with a case
Witch Hazel: Thayers Witch Hazel Alcohol Free Unscented £10.94
Will probably buy this later as it's pretty expensive
Gel: Proraso Shave Cut Healing Gel £3.95

How does this all look? Anything I should be getting instead? I'm still getting into all this so not entirely sure what I should be doing

I'd maybe hold off on the Proraso gel just now, it can tend to congeal in the tube after opening if not used frequently. Nothing wrong with that Omega in its price range. If cost is a factor then you should be able to pick up a bottle of witch hazel from a High St. Chemist for less than the Thayers ( which is good stuff ). D R Harris is an excellent soap which should work well for you, although there are other, less costly, options out there. The other big items are the razor and blades, if you have any input into this gift I'd suggest considering an Edwin Jagger 89 with either Astra blades or an assorted pack of blades from Connaughts to give you a range from whivh to choose.
Enjoy the journey and please don't be a stranger on here, let us know how it goes.

JohnnyO. o/

Hi, I agree the Edwin J. It gets consistently high ratings by new shavers and also experienced shavers. I also would get a blade sample pack from Connaught. Get the one which includes Feather , Astra and Gillette Silver Blue. Blades caryvso much from person to person. I found Gillette Silver Blue gave me the best shave 're comfort etc.

I'd maybe hold off on the Proraso gel just now, it can tend to congeal in the tube after opening if not used frequently. Nothing wrong with that Omega in its price range. If cost is a factor then you should be able to pick up a bottle of witch hazel from a High St. Chemist for less than the Thayers ( which is good stuff ). D R Harris is an excellent soap which should work well for you, although there are other, less costly, options out there. The other big items are the razor and blades, if you have any input into this gift I'd suggest considering an Edwin Jagger 89 with either Astra blades or an assorted pack of blades from Connaughts to give you a range from whivh to choose.
Enjoy the journey and please don't be a stranger on here, let us know how it goes.

JohnnyO. o/

I was hoping to get something that works for bleeding cuts. There's been quite a few times when I'm in a hurry and have to shave. I end up getting cuts which just don't stop bleeding. I read that the Proraso gel is the best thing for that?

I might go down that route with the witch hazel. I'm having a hard time justifying the Thayers. With the Dr Harris, I wanted to get something a bit nicer. I know I can get a Palmolive shaving stick for £0.50 but, honestly, the cost isn't that bad when looking at how long the soap would last. Are there any soaps better at that price point?

More importantly, is there any brushes better than the Omega? I'm looking at roughly that price but might be able to spend a bit more if it's really worth it.

Thanks again for the help! Will definitely let you know how it goes! :)

I think the Proraso gel is the worst value ever. A very small tube, and only lasts two or three times. An alum block is just as good unless you really injure yourself! They last forever unless you drop them on a tiled floor!

I think the Proraso gel is the worst value ever. A very small tube, and only lasts two or three times. An alum block is just as good unless you really injure yourself! They last forever unless you drop them on a tiled floor!

Oh, right. What is the best styptic in your opinion? When an alum block isn't enough? I was hoping to get something that would stop bleeding even for pretty bad cuts

I have never used the pencils but am sure plenty here have. Maybe I was just unlucky with the gel only lasting one or two cuts. I'm sure you will soon not get any cuts that alum won't solve.

I have never used the pencils but am sure plenty here have. Maybe I was just unlucky with the gel only lasting one or two cuts. I'm sure you will soon not get any cuts that alum won't solve.

In that case, I'll probably leave the gel for now. I can always pick it up later if I need it.

Finally, what brush would you recommend? Is the Omega 49 the best one I could get? What about synthetics? Are there any good ones available in the UK? I'm thinking about the Omega S10065 but apparently the Plisson style ones are much better (something like the RazoRock Disruptor).

Thanks again!

Last edited:
If you are in a hurry to shave in the morning probably a synthetic brush is better for you - not that you couldn't use a natural fibre one. I would recommend the Muhle silvertip fibre, but I don't know what your budget is. Is is three times more expensive than the Omega 49. I get excelent results using the Muhle silvetip fibre and DR Harris Windsor.
I have not used Plissoft knot brushes, but there seem to be a lot of folks who like them a lot. It also costs less than the Muhle.
I hear Boots have a nice Witchazel. The alum should work just fine for weepers and nicks.
Good luck!

Semogue 620 will set you back just over £13 from connaughts and has worked well for me in the past, but then I've liked all the Semogues I've used. A styptic pencil should help to stop any minor weepers you inadvertently aquire. As far as soaps go, for the time they last they're probably one of the least expensive bits of kit you need, so indulge yourself in whatever takes your fancy ... it's your face you're giving a morning treat to. I'd have recommended any Phoenix & Beau with all the skin conditioning goodies they put in the soap, however soap truly is a personal choice. If it's D. R. Harris you fancy then go for it and enjoy it.

JohnnyO. o/

Palmolive stick is excellent soap, if you want something a little bit more expensive but cheaper (and more user friendly) than the DR Harris, try Proraso or Cella.
Good cheap beginners razors: the Wilkinson Sword Classic (order online and collect at Boots), the Feather Popular (Shave Lounge) or a vintage Gillette Tech (eBay).

I haven't had a nick that alum hasn't stopped yet. You can pick up witch hazel in Asda for a couple of quid. Buy a spray bottle(sodial atomiser) off Amazon for a pound and just refill as needed. Can vouch for the EJ89 as a relatively new de shaver too [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! Any UK chemists will have styptic pencils - if you need to use it, just wet it under the cold tap and dab on the cut. If you think you'll need to shave rapidly, a synthetic brush might be useful as you only need to leave it in your basin of water for a few seconds rather than soaking it for a couple of minutes at minimum which is necessary for natural hair brushes.

Back
Top Bottom