Lapping film

To quote Fergiebilly If Ya are Looking for a Cheap & Efficient Honing System..A Naniwa 1 K Pro Stone for Bevel Setting..12, 9, 5, 3, 1 Micron Lapping Film..For a Progression is All Ya Need for Honing Personal Razors..Thats a Fantastic Honing System ..Trust Me..ASDA
Well i have a 12k naniwa and i looking at getting some film. I'm not going to be setting any bevels just keeping my edges going will i need all of the above.

In 3M I use pink and light green films for the job you describe but they do not cost a fortune so bought all films to test (except blue) starting with green/30 micron and finishing on light green/1 micron.

Last edited:
1 Micron = 16 K..3 Micron = 12 K..5 Micron = 8 K..I Would Suggest Getting & Trying All Three..I Would Suggest Taking Youre Razor to the 5 Micron for a Refresh & then the 3 Micron & then the 1 Micron If You Want a Higher Grit Edge..:)

Its Easier that Way for a Beginner in Particular..The Thing to Know about Lapping Film is this..Lapping Film has a Higher Grit Finishing Capacity Potential than its Grit Rating..So..Say the 3 Micron = 12 K..In its Grit Rating..3 Micron Can Produce a 12 K to 15/16 K Edge Depending on the Skill of the User..:rolleyes:

So Bear that in Mind..1 Micron = 16 K in Grit Rating Can Produce a 20 K Edge..No Problem..So..Its Easy to Over Hone Some Razors on 16 K Film..A Sheffield Hollow Grind for Example is Optimal Around 16 k or 16 K +..Around or Just Over 16 K in Other Words..o_O

So..3 Micron = 12 K...With a Finishing Capacity Potential of 16 K is Useful for Shaving Alright..Trust Me..In Fact its All You Need for a Spectacular Shaving Edge..This All Depends on How Many Strokes & Lightness of Strokes & Skill & Film Wear n Tear..Etc..And of Course What You Want from that Particular Hone..;)

Hope thats Clear & Helpful..:D:D

Billy

Last edited:
And I think Fergiebilly wrote in another thread: "Take care of your films". I agree, it is easy reasoning oh well, inexpensive, good for the time being only until I buy a full set of Naniwa stones and diamond pastes, but films deserve better.

Last edited:
Cheers Billy as helpful as ever . Can i just hone straight up and down or do i need to do those sweepy x strokes
Aye..I Would Suggest to Learn..Up & Down Strokes with Heel Slightly Leading & X Strokes to Get a Hang of it or Learning Foundation..You Will Find what Works for You then You Can Become a Bit More Creative as Time Goes On..Cant Go Wrong with What Glen is Demonstrating here at the Higher Grit End Hones..He Explains what he is Doing & Why..:)

Billy

Can anyone advise a good UK source for something on which to mount lapping film? I've been using a piece of marble but it isn't ideal. Have heard people mention acrylic blocks, but I can't find a source for these.

Can anyone advise a good UK source for something on which to mount lapping film? I've been using a piece of marble but it isn't ideal. Have heard people mention acrylic blocks, but I can't find a source for these.
I Personally Use Glass..You Can Get a Piece Cut to Whatever Size You Want at You're Local Joiners or Any Place that Cuts Glass..Cheap as Chips..:)

Billy

It feels always strange to me if I see someone using both hands for honing a straight razor. I would strongly recommend anyone learning it the right way. At the latest if you want to hone a straight razor with a smiling edge (i. ex. a Koraat) you have a big problem.

If you want learning how to hone a straight razor just have a look at the video clips on this website: http://coticule.be/

PS: Please excuse my bad English, it's not my native language.

It feels always strange to me if I see someone using both hands for honing a straight razor. I would strongly recommend anyone learning it the right way. At the latest if you want to hone a straight razor with a smiling edge (i. ex. a Koraat) you have a big problem.

If you want learning how to hone a straight razor just have a look at the video clips on this website: http://coticule.be/

PS: Please excuse my bad English, it's not my native language.
There are Many Ways to Hone a Straight Razor..These Clips here are this Guys WAY of Using Coticules in Particular..I Wouldn't Recommend Anyone Learning to Use Coticules..I Would Recommend Synthetics for Any Beginner to Learn On..I Would Not Recommend a Natural Progression for Anyone to Learn to Hone..Too Many Variables..o_O

Lapping Film & Synthetic Hones are a Different Animal..Very Consistent & Far Easier to Learn to Hone On..Oh Yeah..I Usually Use Both Hands Unless I Am Using a Natural Finisher in the Hand..I Learned to Hone Using Single Edge Hollow Grind Blades..You have No Other Choice..Its Just Burned into Me Now as its Burned into Glen..Glen Speaks about this Somewhere..:D

Billy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom