Late Starter

Hi guys,

I'm just starting out on my straight razor journey. It's slightly late (I'm the wrong side of 50) but I'm looking forward to the challenge! I've done a bit of research before buying my first razor which arrives on Friday and settled on a Gold Dollar from a guy on ebay. This guy seems to love what he does and has over 200 5 star reviews with no negatives reviews at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112307771601

Any tips for a complete novice would be appreciated.

Hi,
You have bought from a very reputable seller & I'm sure you will be pleased with your razor.As for advice I would say for you to simply relax & enjoy the experience.Its never too late to start using one & definitely no rush to perfect it.There is loads of information on here from fellow SR users & so much information online.Youtube is very useful for informative videos.Which strop did you buy?

Gold Dollars are Fine Shavers from that Seller..They are a Bit Unbalanced & Quite Heavy Bladed but Hey they are Cheap & Fine to Learn On..Learn to Shave & Strop & that's about it..The Learning is in the Practice..That Said..Lynn here Offers All the Advice You Need..Most Will Ignore it & Go for a BBS Full Monty & Piss Themselves Off from SR Shaving in Jig Time..:)

Billy

Hi,
You have bought from a very reputable seller & I'm sure you will be pleased with your razor.As for advice I would say for you to simply relax & enjoy the experience.Its never too late to start using one & definitely no rush to perfect it.There is loads of information on here from fellow SR users & so much information online.Youtube is very useful for informative videos.Which strop did you buy?

Not got a strop yet. I thought I'd hang fire on that for a few days and see if any advice comes my way!

Hi Kenny,

I'm fairly new to this too, but the advice I've seen elsewhere and would repeat is to not spend too much money on a first strop: if you're like me you'll put nicks in that nice leather surface fairly quickly as it takes a while until you get the hang of it. Some useful information here on strops, including making one from newspaper which I wish I'd known about before I attacked mine.

http://sharpologist.com/2016/02/straight-razor-strop-guide.html

This guy makes strops amongst other things.Like the guy you bought your razor from,He's been into S.R's for decades & has excellent feedback.Affordable & nothing fancy but does the job.Worth asking him.Ebay seller : pete210540 (1837)
There is also a guy on here called Wayne Mattison (werewolf) avatar. I'm sure he makes strops.
Cheers

Last edited:
This guy makes strops amongst other things.Like the guy you bought your razor from,He's been into S.R's for decades & has excellent feedback.Affordable & nothing fancy but does the job.Worth asking him.Ebay seller : pete210540 (1837)
There is also a guy on here called Wayne Mattison (werewolf) avatar. I'm sure he makes strops.
Cheers

Cheers, I've bookmarked them both.

Evening matey
Reference a strop I bought one from a company called westholme strops, i say company it's a guy that makes them in his spare time.
I'm no expert on strops but mine works bloody lovely, it's of a high quality and the guy who makes them is really nice and easy to deal with.
I paid 44 pound for mine delivered and I'd received it in a week, bearing in mind he has a full time job and makes them himself I was really impressed with it.
I think it's well worth the money considering it will last a lifetime.
Hope this helps
www.westholmestrops.com/westholme-starter-strop
Kind regards

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom