Leather Razor Pouches

Since buying a bit of leather a couple of years ago in an attempt at making my own strop I have dabbled a little in making the occasional wallet belt etc. Yesterday I came across an awful razor pouch I made ages ago and thought to myself I can probably do a better job now. So these are the results from this morning. these are really just test ones to work out sizes type of leather etc I'm reasonably happy with them but I need to refine them a little. Seeing as I have around 15 Straight razors looks like my weekends are sorted for a while.
Any ideas on how I could modify these would be appreciated, ie do you think press studs would be a better way of closing them? I have sealed the leather on the inside but I am now thinking if I don't seal it then maybe it will be able to absorb any moisture on the razor?

VuDC91D.jpg

o1U3wQz.jpg

Zjhsuah.jpg

Since buying a bit of leather a couple of years ago in an attempt at making my own strop I have dabbled a little in making the occasional wallet belt etc. Yesterday I came across an awful razor pouch I made ages ago and thought to myself I can probably do a better job now. So these are the results from this morning. these are really just test ones to work out sizes type of leather etc I'm reasonably happy with them but I need to refine them a little. Seeing as I have around 15 Straight razors looks like my weekends are sorted for a while.
Any ideas on how I could modify these would be appreciated, ie do you think press studs would be a better way of closing them? I have sealed the leather on the inside but I am now thinking if I don't seal it then maybe it will be able to absorb any moisture on the razor?

VuDC91D.jpg

o1U3wQz.jpg

Zjhsuah.jpg
These look very good indeed. I would keep away from press studs, the closure system you are using is just fine. What type of leather are you using? Would you be interested in custom orders?
Very well done. :) Paul.

These look very good indeed. I would keep away from press studs, the closure system you are using is just fine. What type of leather are you using? Would you be interested in custom orders?
Very well done. :) Paul.
Thanks paul
To be honest I'd not thought about selling them as I only do this as a hobby, I'll have a little play with them to get them better and maybe then I'll sell a few. I'm using veg tan leather that I then dye and hand stitch. these are 1.2mm thick but I'm going to do some with a 2mm leather for the back and 1.2 at the front to see what I think of them.

Thanks paul
To be honest I'd not thought about selling them as I only do this as a hobby, I'll have a little play with them to get them better and maybe then I'll sell a few. I'm using veg tan leather that I then dye and hand stitch. these are 1.2mm thick but I'm going to do some with a 2mm leather for the back and 1.2 at the front to see what I think of them.
That sounds good, please let me know if / when you would be interested in selling some....I for one like what I'm seeing and would love to protect my straight razors in such a pouch. Thank you. P.

Me likey, as Paul said I'd stray away from press studs, I could seem pressing it & breaking the scales or similar. I don't see the need for any closing system, but if you must maybe Velcro or a snazzy lace system
Thanks Shaun, I had my doubts about press studs, I might have a go with some sam browne studs as they won't require the same force as press studs.

Not my work as I don't seem to have any photos of when I've used sam browne studs on my laptop but it will do to show what a sam browne stud is
sPnYWCN.png

This is one I did a couple of years ago when I first started Done with Bridle leather
uET0TAF.jpg

and this is the one I use all the time now done with a veg tan strop leather sold by le Prevo in Newcastle
C7eY5xH.jpg

JjFjyKJ.jpg

I was just thinking the other day I should have another go at doing a strop need to do a bit of research to see what type of leather is best to use without breaking the bank on cordovan.

Pouches look just great to me, leather does absorb moisture and causes steel stored inside to rust as I found out with chisel roll up leather storage. Suggest always treating your razors with Camellia oil before storing in pouches. Your strops look a lot better than mine I won't post any pics! I have used undyed 4 mm veg tan butt leather for mine backed with hemp and I have glued the two together, any reason why I shouldn't? Looks a lot less fuss leaving both sides loose but I was hoping to prevent any cupping occurring. Unable to find the right sort of pure flax linen anywhere.

Pouches look just great to me, leather does absorb moisture and causes steel stored inside to rust as I found out with chisel roll up leather storage. Suggest always treating your razors with Camellia oil before storing in pouches. Your strops look a lot better than mine I won't post any pics! I have used undyed 4 mm veg tan butt leather for mine backed with hemp and I have glued the two together, any reason why I shouldn't? Looks a lot less fuss leaving both sides loose but I was hoping to prevent any cupping occurring. Unable to find the right sort of pure flax linen anywhere.
I've also used hemp on my strops (hemp shop) seems to work ok but I would ideally like to find something a little finer. Ive looked all over the internet for linen webbing but no luck at all finding it. Seems like it is only available to bulk order which is no good for me, I will continue to hunt though .

Back
Top Bottom