Linen & Leather Paddle Strops?

If having a canvas/linen side is so important, why are there only double leather sided paddle strops. The example you've given me @Fergiebilly, is a double leather-sided strop, and I couldn't find your seller @Jack Sales. I'll happily settle for a 2.5 inch strop if I can find the canvas/leather combo. I think a flexible paddle strop would be easier than a hanging strop. But I'm probably wrong. Again. :confused:

If having a canvas/linen side is so important, why are there only double leather sided paddle strops. The example you've given me @Fergiebilly, is a double leather-sided strop, and I couldn't find your seller @Jack Sales. I'll happily settle for a 2.5 inch strop if I can find the canvas/leather combo. I think a flexible paddle strop would be easier than a hanging strop. But I'm probably wrong. Again. :confused:
There are so many different varieties & styles out there because it's such a personal thing.Some don't use canvas/linen.Just leather.I rarely use the canvas.Trial & error,we eventually find what works best for ourselves as you will find.I will look on eBay for Pete & get back to you about it.There are various paddle strops on eBay including I.E ones.

Last edited:
Type into the eBay search engine> chromium oxide paste for razors knives or metal polishing.
pete210540 sells it.So all you need to do is ask him about the paddle strops.He once made me a four sided long Tom paddle strop.

Last edited:
I Reckon a Hanging Strop is Far Easier to Use than a Paddle Strop to be Honest..Most Folks these Days Lay a Paddle Strop on a Table or Something to Use it..Unless they are the Sprung Type Paddle Strops they were Held in the Hand Yesteryears For a Light Touch & Minimal Pressure...Hence the Handle..I Personally Cant Use a Paddle Strop for Daily Stropping..o_O

The Canvas Side is Not Used by Everyone..A Lot of High End Strops Like My Tony Miller Strop is Double Leather..I have Only Quite Recently been Using Canvas & Whither there is a Need for it I Cant Say with any Certainty to be Honest..:)

Billy

I Reckon a Hanging Strop is Far Easier to Use than a Paddle Strop to be Honest..Most Folks these Days Lay a Paddle Strop on a Table or Something to Use it..Unless they are the Sprung Type Paddle Strops they were Held in the Hand Yesteryears For a Light Touch & Minimal Pressure...Hence the Handle..I Personally Cant Use a Paddle Strop for Daily Stropping..o_O

The Canvas Side is Not Used by Everyone..A Lot of High End Strops Like My Tony Miller Strop is Double Leather..I have Only Quite Recently been Using Canvas & Whither there is a Need for it I Cant Say with any Certainty to be Honest..:)

Billy
Whenever I've used my four sided paddle strop I've always held it at an angle over a table and rested half the bottom edge on it because it's very heavy like a cricket bat haha.I very rarely use it to be honest.Likewise though,I only use the hanging strop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom