Longevity of Gem-type blades in new Gem razors

As I have done for years with vintage razor models, I'm using the Personna Gem blades in my stainless Rocnel and Blackland Sabre modern gem SE razors.

I don't seem to get as much use out of these blades in the new razors as I did with them in the vintages; at best half-a-dozen sessions, and they feel pretty worn out at the end of that. I also note in the Sabre, which I've just unloaded, that there is quite a lot of corrosion on the aluminium blade spine. This shows up as a gritty-feeling surface, where once it was smooth, covered in the usual corrosion product. I never noticed this in the old-style razors.

Because of the closure methods, I don't remove the blades from either the Sabre or Rocnel after every use, but they do get a thorough rinse in fresh running water, followed by a pat-down to dry and storage in a draining position. I've used many different soaps with both, so can't pin anything down to one in particular (if that may be a factor).

I'd be interested to know from other modern Gem razor users roughly how many days use they get from the blades in their razors, and whether anyone else has encountered the spine corrosion.

Do you loosen the handle of the Sabre? Blackland recommend this to allow the blade and razor to dry properly.
I do and, within reason, try to dry it as much as possible without total disassembly.

At the moment, I'm using non-wrapped blades from a small clear plastic magazine/dispenser, which I think came with the Sabre. Otherwise, I use paper-wrapped blades from a 100-box I got from Connaught some time ago. I think it might be worthwhile to note how each batch performs, although I can't see that there could be much, if any, difference.

Is the Sabre a ball ache to dismantle?
Whatever I use gets dismantled, dried & put back, handle a touch loose, ready for the next shave.
Ha no, not at all. Think of it as a standard 3 peice razor. Easy to take apart and just as easy to put back together. I always dismantle and clean and dry and put in its box after every use.

Greetings

I can think of no reason why the longevity of any single edge blades should be any different in the new razors than vintage ones and that varies from person to person.

I tend to think that this all about not so much that the blades have dulled but more about how much each individual finds the dulled blade still acceptable. I personally take the line that the blades are pretty cheap so any noticeable deterioration and it's the bin, for me this means four or five shaves from stainless coated blades and three maximum from carbon; sometimes two. I am sure I could get more but I don't try as the shave quality is definitely (IMHO) reduced.

Regards
Dick

Greetings

I can think of no reason why the longevity of any single edge blades should be any different in the new razors than vintage ones and that varies from person to person.

I tend to think that this all about not so much that the blades have dulled but more about how much each individual finds the dulled blade still acceptable. I personally take the line that the blades are pretty cheap so any noticeable deterioration and it's the bin, for me this means four or five shaves from stainless coated blades and three maximum from carbon; sometimes two. I am sure I could get more but I don't try as the shave quality is definitely (IMHO) reduced.

Regards
Dick
I find the same with the carbon, two shaves and that's it. It could be used once more but the performance is reduced so I don't push for a third . Shaving is all about comfort and performance so why even try to get another shave if it's not going to be as good as the first two. Some say that they can get more from Gem SS blades but for me four or maybe five and it's in the can. They are cheap enough so it makes no sense to push a blade beyond it's useful life. That's why I love ER Corrux blades, a little work and they are like new again. :) P.

Greetings

I know little or nothing about metallurgy and even less about chemistry but is there some type of galvanic action going on between the ali and the stainless? I'm sure there's somebody on here with the right credentials to tell us.

Regards
Dick.
You have hit the nail on the head! There will be galvanic action between stainless steel and aluminium if left together and moisture is present.
So the only way to prevent this is to dry completely and reassemble or to disassemble altogether between shave's. P.

Dick is quite correct. I found this useful:
ANODIC (Least Noble)
Magnesium
Zinc
Aluminium
Carbon steel or cast iron
Copper alloys (brass, bronze )
Lead
STAINLESS STEEL
Nickel alloys (Incoloy 825,Hastelloy B)
Titanium
Graphite
CATHODIC (Most Noble)
The further apart the metals are, in terms of relative potentials, the greater the driving force in a cell. So, for example, stainless steel in contact with copper is less likely to be a risk than when it is in contact with aluminium or galvanised (zinc coated) steel.

To complete the cell, a conductive liquid must bridge the contact metals.
The more electrically conductive the liquid is, the greater the danger of corrosion. Seawater or salt laden moist air is more of a risk than contact with rain water or towns water.

If the metals are dry, bimetallic (galvanic) corrosion cannot occur.

Interesting set of responses here.

Firstly, disassembly, drying and corrosion.
The corrosion is definitely galvanic, and I expect that some ingredients in soaps don't help. I'm a bit "leary" about dismantling and reassembling the Sabre every time I use it, because of the post and the potential to cross-thread. As a very early morning shaver, I'm not sure I can guarantee to have my wits about me, enough to avoid problems. That's why I've stuck with the "loosen and rinse well" regime. That will only work 100% if the blade is free within the razor, but every time I've unloaded mine, the strip is stuck quite firmly to the baseplate, which means that whatever has got behind it won't be washed out easily. Of course, it can be poked loose while still in the razor, but yet another procedure.

As long as it's corrosion of the less noble strip, I can live with that. This isn't a problem I've encountered with the Rocnel, by the way.

As a side-note, this stainless-aluminium business has set me thinking (unusual, I know) about the treatment stainless blades in aluminium razors; especially thick AC blades which stay in their razor for possibly longer than the Gems in these stainless ones. Anodising the aluminium razors will resist corrosion, but I'll be off to review my copy of "Metal Corrosion in Boats", which is pretty detailed on anodised fittings and other metals interacting.

Then; blade life.
With DE blades, I always chuck after 3 uses, unless I've got a duff one, in which case it's straight out. I've not got a fixed rule like that with Gems or ACs, and get rid as soon as they feel a bit past it. I don't eke out a blade through parsimony or preciousness, but, unless I'm imagining it, they did seem to go a day or two more in the vintages. I long ago exhausted my supply of NOS carbon steel blades, which I used to touch up on my SR paddle strop. Perhaps I'll have a go at that with the s/s Gems, purely experimentally.

Anyway, both are good razors, and the Rocnel is fine when it's set up precisely. I'll be a little more punctilious in their maintenance in future.

Thanks, all.

Back
Top Bottom