Looking for a run down on decent modern SE blades

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Since I have a few SE razors incoming I would appreciate the lowdown on modern blades. I have a Clog Pruf, Gem H Bar and a 1912. This could turn into a nice info/sticky for the SE section.

There's also the option of using a Feather SE with the spine from a Gem attached. The spines pull off quite easily and make the Feather the same size as the Gem when attached. Just a bit of crimping with pliers is enough to secure the spine.

There's also the option of using a Feather SE with the spine from a Gem attached. The spines pull off quite easily and make the Feather the same size as the Gem when attached. Just a bit of crimping with pliers is enough to secure the spine.
The Feathers only last for a shave (maybe two) and are three times more expensive than the GEM blades. GEM are the blade of choice for SE. (You'd need them for the spines anyway)

Just to add... The Feather blade can be a tad tight in some older SEs because its around a cutting edge longer than a Gem blade after it has been re -spined ..Its not that obvious and it can get bowed when the razor is clamped down..;)

Billy

Just to add... The Feather blade can be a tad tight in some older SEs because its around a cutting edge longer than a Gem blade after it has been re -spined ..Its not that obvious and it can get bowed when the razor is clamped down..;)

Billy
Not something I ever noticed Billy. I've used them in 1912, Shovelhead and Slimline - although I do agree with Riverrun that they have a limited life I can get three shaves at best.

BOAB was asking for choices - the Feather is an alternative to the Gem blade. I don't see any reference to limitations based on cost in his post.
In that case: the Feathers come in two varieties: The FHS-10 stainless steel (as available from Connaught) and the carbon steel FAS-10.
I didn't see any limitations on skin irritation caused, in his post. :eek:
On second thought - Boab mentions 'decent' blades in the thread title. :p
On third thought - I don't think the Feathers are decent blades either (YMMV) :D

Last edited:
Not something I ever noticed Billy. I've used them in 1912, Shovelhead and Slimline - although I do agree with Riverrun that they have a limited life I can get three shaves at best.
Yeah..Me too Rob..I didn't notice it myself until I felt it being tight when I was closing up a 1912 .. I checked it out after @Norfolkdick mentioned it in a post some time ago & he was spot on..It seems be fine in some 1912s and not in others...:)

Billy

In that case: the Feathers come in two varieties: The FHS-10 stainless steel (as available from Connaught) and the carbon steel FAS-10.
I didn't see any limitations on skin irritation caused, in his post. :eek:
On second thought - Boab mentions 'decent' blades in the thread title. :p
On third thought - I don't think the Feathers are decent blades either (YMMV) :D
Perhaps it just needs a bit more experience and better technique. I've always managed to get a very good shave with a spined Feather. Feel free to ask if you want tips.;)

Last edited:
There's a uk seller offering both gems and PERSONNA PAL BLUE CARBON 3 FACET RAZOR BLADES pretty cheap on ebay might be worth you having a quick look
I have never seen these getting sold on UK EBay before..Good find..I have never used these blades..It would appear that its a Love or Hate thing...These need to be taken from the razor & dried or they will quickly rust..Here is the Link..;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231799085656?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=531055682107&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Billy

Back
Top Bottom