This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advise

Discussion in 'Photography and Photos' started by fatboy1971, Saturday September 9, 2017.

1. Ok gents here is the coo, 2018 me n wifey are off too florida, again, this time just the two of us to celebrate our 21wedding anniversary.
    We are looking for in entry level dslr camera and need your advise.
    Wifey is the artistic one out of the two of us. She want to take pretty sunset pics at the keys and wildlife pics at walmart.
    We have had various cameras in our 43/47years.
    Were looking for camera advise and somewhere were we can learn to use it properly, be it webbys, magazines or workshops.
    All adcise taken in and non shunned.

Regards

Colin

Wayne Pritchard likes this.
  2. finnegan

finnegan

Talk photography. And POTN.
    Are pretty good forums. I learned lots from both.

wooky114 and fatboy1971 like this.
  3. Thank you, wedding this arvo, ill take a looky later.

Thanks again

4. haha, are you talking about the people? don't get it.

fatboy1971 likes this.
  5. Ok so have done a deal, dunno if its a good deal.
    Nikon d3000 18-55 and 70-300 lenses not quite £200?
    Bought 12months ago barely used still has the film on the screen.
    The lenses:- 18-55 like the camera barely used and the 70-300 2.5 years old but bought from mpb with recipt 6months ago

Wayne Pritchard likes this.
  6. PaulH

PaulH

That's good kit and will get the sort of photos you want. I have an ancient Nikon D200 that's still going strong. I just have one photo tip for you, and it's a cliché - the best camera is always the one you have with you. Have fun with your camera.

fatboy1971 likes this.
  7. Thank you bud, was hoping to collect today but now looks to be either tomoz or monday

8. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

The D3000 is a few years old now but still quite capable - I'd say if you were looking to buy new there's a lot in the Pentax range at the lower end of the scale. I, myself, have a Pentax K-S2 which is 'weatherproof', though has been submerged in mud/water and washed with no issue (during a review, I've not dared to try this). The K-S2 is, itself, a couple of years old now so I'm sure there are bargains around but I bought mine new with an 18-50mm lens for about £400-450 last year.

Check out mpb.com and lcegroup.co.uk as well if you're keen to get second-hand items. The Nikon 3000-range and 5000-range are very good starter cameras. If you wanted something for the keener photographer then the D7000 range are very, very good.

9. wooky114

wooky114

As others have said, Talk Photography is good source of info but as/when you get the camera, take the kit out and use it to get used it to it. Find yourself a scene to photograph and take the same image at differing focal lengths and apertures but keep the ISO constant i.e. 400 ISO - 18mm f2.8, 18mm f8, 18mm f16 and the repeat at 35mm and 55mm - I'd do the same for 70 - 300 as well and compare the pictures on the pc.

If you need software, download/install FastStone Image Viewer, it'll let you view and do some basic editing to the images if you want.

As a general rule of thumb, especially if you're hand holding the camera, keep your shutter speed above your focal length, so if you're shooting at 55mm above 1/60th, 200mm above 1/200th.

Nikon D3000 for Dummies

Ken Rockwell D3000 Users Guide

Camera Tips D3000

Benz3ne likes this.
  10. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

Great tips Wooky! Also this website (Cambridge in colour) is great for general photography tips - there's a lot to learn there, so don't get put off by it.

As Wooky says, practice is the best approach. I didn't really learn much until I started just sitting around the house taking photos of everything at trying things out. Some came out beyond crap but at least I got a feel for what worked!

wooky114 likes this.
  11. Nisse

Nisse

The D3000 is from 2009 = ancient history when it comes to digital cameras :)

Benz3ne likes this.
  12. wooky114

wooky114

It may well be @Nisse - but that's what the OP's gotten for himself and there's many a good tune played on a old fiddle... If people can help him get the best out of it and he manages to get some decent images from the trip, it's a job well done.

fatboy1971 and Benz3ne like this.
  13. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

Hear, hear. I think it's still a capable camera, especially for the price. If OP takes to photography then there's scope to sell the camera on, even without any loss, and purchase something newer.

Check out the dpreview.com forums, there's plenty of stuff for beginners there as well. You can start topics for your own personal queries and there will always be someone there to help. :)

wooky114 likes this.
  14. Nisse

Nisse

_DSC2341.jpg
    My (2006) D80 still going strong :)

fatboy1971, wooky114 and Benz3ne like this.
  15. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

Great camera! I was thinking about getting one considering their price these days but decided on getting something new.

16. Nisse

Nisse

I find using the old ones a bit more like shooting film, need to think before pressing the button not just klick, klick, klicking away to be fixed later in Lightroom and Photoshop.

wooky114 and Benz3ne like this.
  17. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

I decided against a mirrorless camera for this reason (sort of). Having an electronic viewfinder would allow the user to be 'babied' through the process of learning how to wield a camera. Given I have two control wheels, I've an opportunity to learn how to properly adjust for exposure, shutter speed etc. I tend not to use photoshop either as it's more time consuming than I'd otherwise like. Either way, I need to take my camera out with me more! :D

Nisse likes this.
  18. wooky114

wooky114

If you get it right or as good as you can in camera it can and will save you time post processing; I still use digital as if I'm using a Hasselblad - you got 12 images on a roll, so make every image count.

PaulH, Nisse and Benz3ne like this.