Looking for the perfect shaving cream, dry skin and hard/straight hair

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to start shaving using Brusher+cream+DE razor. I previously used a Gillette Power Fusion razor and Gillette Series Sensitive shaving gel.
While I really appreciate the use of the DE razor (currently an Edwin Jagger DE89), I have trouble finding the perfect shaving cream for my skin.

I have a dry skin with very hard/straight hair.

I have used the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream and the Green Proraso cream but both of them gave me faaaar more irritation and razor-burn than the Gillette gel (Proraso being slightly better than TOBS for me).
I have try to mount the cream using more or less water than usual but the result is always worst than with the gel...

What I really like with the Gillette gel is the feeling that the razor just glide on the skin without "griping" the hair. I don't even need to use any aftershave, even if I do 2 or 3 passes, whereas with the creams I need to put aftershave straight away otherwise it is kind of horrible for a few hours.

Do you guys have any other brand/products to recommend? Is there any shaving cream that will allow the razor to "glide" more on the skin than the two I have already tried?

Thanks for reading

No offence to you Nico, but I have to ask you; do you think you found the correct angle while using your DE? there is a learning curve with DE, SR and SE shaving. I've heard people getting irritation from TOBS creams but never heard proraso giving irritation, so can it be your technique? I would suggest Proraso to any wet shaver whether he is a beginner or not due to it's perfect lather which is easy to produce.
Perhaps you should try some unscented creams for sensitive skin, Arko extra sensitive shaving cream would be a cheap option to try.

Nanny's Silly Soap or Phoenix & Beau unscented soap would be a personal suggestion to try unless you are totally wed to creams. These are both high quality soaps which are, my view, as good as you will get for non skin drying quality.

JohnnyO. o/

No offence to you Nico, but I have to ask you; do you think you found the correct angle while using your DE? there is a learning curve with DE, SR and SE shaving. I've heard people getting irritation from TOBS creams but never heard proraso giving irritation, so can it be your technique? I would suggest Proraso to any wet shaver whether he is a beginner or not due to it's perfect lather which is easy to produce.
Perhaps you should try some unscented creams for sensitive skin, Arko extra sensitive shaving cream would be a cheap option to try.
Hey Sezer,

No worries at all. I believe I do as I have absolutely no burn using the DE razor with the Gillette gel.
With the proraso it is muuuuuch better than with the TOBS for sure, but it is the results is not as good as with the gel.

By the way, I am using the green Proraso, do you think I should give a try to the white one (Sensitive skin)

Hey Sezer,

No worries at all. I believe I do as I have absolutely no burn using the DE razor with the Gillette gel.
With the proraso it is muuuuuch better than with the TOBS for sure, but it is the results is not as good as with the gel.

By the way, I am using the green Proraso, do you think I should give a try to the white one (Sensitive skin)
White Proraso is another option, so yes you can try that. I think you will have to find out what your skin is reacting/sensitive to. There are few things, for example: Usually essential oils or fragrance oils in soaps and creams are the main cause for skin irritations(hence the sensitive skin creams are unscented), I heard that some people are allergic to certain ingredients in creams/soaps like Lanolin etc.. so by the looks of it you will have to find out by trying. I don't have a sensitive skin so all my soaps and creams are normal type. Stay away from Tobs Jermyn Street cream(Black tub), it is supposed to be for sensitive skin but even my skin reacted to that.
I wish you good luck at finding the right cream, here there are lots of people with experience with wet shaving products and I am sure they can suggest you more sensitive creams

If you found the gel to work well why change? I still use cans of Edge weekly and I know exactly what you mean about the glide, I like the Gillette Cool Ice gel as well, it's very manly scented and works nicely with my Wardonia razor.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Hi Nico when you say dry skin,do you have a medical condition?.I had sebborheic dermatitas on my chin or did have up until 2yrs and 10 months ago when i started DE shaving and was on a strong steroid ointment for it.
I found that TOBS Avocado cream was excellent for my skin from the get go and when that finished i went onto soaps such as the ones that have been named above and would also recommend them (OSP,P&B,Nannys)
Good luck in your search.

Which brush are you currently using?
Without wanting to understate the previous messages, an adittional possible cause may be the wrong (for your skin) brush that you are using. I mean that a more gentle brush (synthetic knot maybe?) may help you reduce the irritations you are having.

+1 for Body Shop Maca Root.
Although I have not yet used the Baume.be cream, so that I could express a personal opinion, it also has quite a lot of good reviews from shavers with sensitive skin.

+1 for the bodyshop cream, I don't doubt that it would work as a general grease/lubricant. They claim macca root to be good at clearing irritation too?

Remember to keep the pressure light as possible, enjoy!

I struggled for years to achieve an irritation-free shave, going through many iterations of creams, soaps, blades, brushes, etc. I finally found that I was not compatible with DE and SE razors and went back to a Mach3 and Sensor. I now get irritation-free shaves no matter which cream, soap or brush I use. I currently use TOBS creams and periodically Trumper cream and Body Shop Maca Root. Unfortunately there are many variables at play when it comes to wet shaving thus all you can do is go through a process of elimination until you find the right combination for you. If gel works for you then go for it unabashedly; after all it's your face and your comfort.

without "gripping" the hair.
can that be taken as to mean "tugging"? that to ME sounds as if you need to find a new blade, as that "gripping" the hair feeling is not good or conducive to good shaving. And when a blade tugs, it is simply not sharp enough for your face.

I have immensely dry and sensitive skin which can only handle 2 passes, with stubble so tough... a 37c slant with feather blade always tugged on my chin and upper lip. Proraso White is my #1 favourite because of it's scent and price, i find Tobs creams typically offer more slickness and a slightly closer shave.

Proraso White and EJ Sandalwood are the only ASB's that work for me in terms of prolonged moisture retention, and have to apply an overly-generous amount for sufficient effectiveness. Castle Forbes Lavender ASB is next on my list for pairing with Tob's Lavender cream.

I have immensely dry and sensitive skin which can only handle 2 passes, with stubble so tough... a 37c slant with feather blade always tugged on my chin and upper lip. Proraso White is my #1 favourite because of it's scent and price, i find Tobs creams typically offer more slickness and a slightly closer shave.

Proraso White and EJ Sandalwood are the only ASB's that work for me in terms of prolonged moisture retention, and have to apply an overly-generous amount for sufficient effectiveness. Castle Forbes Lavender ASB is next on my list for pairing with Tob's Lavender cream.

Have you tried Cella? That critter has helped a lot with moisture control after the shave. I have sensitive skin, oily skin, tough facial hair. I also have the issue of heavy dandruff even on my face. If I don't shave for a while I get dandruff on the facial hair region, and since I started using Cella non stop, I have not had that dandruff issue when I skip shaving for a while, and when I do its more of a generic dry skin that comes off fast with a light rub.

Back
Top Bottom