Magnifying glass

p.b

Having always had 20-20 vision I now find myself (at the age of 44 when this appear to happen to everyone) needing some assistance when looking on the side of raw-plugs to see what drill size to use and other situations.

I could order a couple of £3 eBay specials but I'd rather spend a little extra and get a quality lens - IF IT'S WORTH IT, but not more than £25.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

cheers, Paul

I've just got a couple of cheapies, the best one is a credit card sized one that fits in my wallet. It's fairly dreadful, magnifies via grooves in the plastic so not the clearest image BUT it's easy peasy to carry, has no frame so catches the light and fits into tight spaces. Mostly it gets used for reading ingredients etc. in the supermarket or teeny serial numbers on IT equipment at work.

Eye test ? Mine started going a few years ago and now I need them for everything. Just a sign of age.
Definitely eye test. If you don't want to spend the money get a free one (Tesco opticians for example), then get some cheap (reading) glasses on the interweb.
Eye tests can also detect other problems that might not be 'just a sign of age'. After two eye surgeries I'm a lucky and happy bunny again.

Eye test!

I have jolly expensive varifocals as I'm short sighted and now longsighted. I have two pairs one of which has "occupational lenses" for computer use (main portion focuses at arms length). I still have to use a magnifying glass for somethings, usually due to small text in poor light or little contrast between letters and background.

I use a 'Magnifier' app on my Android smart phone for the few occasions reading glasses won't help. Cheaper than chips. Free actually. And it's always with me...

I use a 'Magnifier' app on my Android smart phone for the few occasions reading glasses won't help. Cheaper than chips. Free actually. And it's always with me...

That's a good idea!

Last time I had my eyes tested (2 years ago) I was half way between 20-20 and the first prescription so it's time for another test as my focal length has notably changed in the last year or so.

It's one of the other effects of the whole muscle atrophy thing! Nobody tells you about anything but "ho! ho! you'll need reading glasses"

Shamelessly lifted from some Yankee wesite

• Need for more light. As you age, you need more light to see as well as you used to. Brighter lights in your work area or next to your reading chair will help make reading and other close-up tasks easier.

• Difficulty reading and doing close work. Printed materials can become less clear, in part because the lens in your eye becomes less flexible over time. This makes it harder for your eyes to focus on near objects than when you were younger.

• Problems with glare. When driving, you may notice additional glare from headlights at night or sun reflecting off windshields or pavement during the day. Changes in your lenses in your eyes cause light entering the eye to be scattered rather than focused precisely on the retina. This creates more glare.

• Changes in color perception. The normally clear lens located inside your eye may start to discolor. This makes it harder to see and distinguish between certain color shades.

• Reduced tear production. With age, the tear glands in your eyes will produce fewer tears. This is particularly true for women experiencing hormone changes. As a result, your eyes may feel dry and irritated. Having an adequate amount of tears is essential for keeping your eyes healthy and for maintaining clear sight.

The problems with Glare when driving really freaked me out when I noticed it - turned off the main drag onto an unlit road on a new moon night and met a car coming towards me...

Argghhhh! Shit I'm going blind I can't see I can't drive....

Sort of thing but no, it turns out it's just an age thing and manageable IF YOU KEEP YOUR GLASSES SHINEY CLEAN!!! Otherwise the blur from dirty glasses you never used to notice when you were young double scatters the light and you have to pull over and clean them. Not really a problem in well lit areas but unlit roads with only the odd car or reflective signs and main beam, woah!

• Need for more light.
  • Problems with glare. When driving,
  • Changes in color perception.
Those three (especially the glare) can point to cataracts. If you are diagnosed with those, get them sorted right away. Don't listen to advice to wait until they get worse and 'affect your life'.
And if you have a choice, get it done at Moorfields and say 'hello' from me. :D:D

I'm fine for cataracts etc. one of the great things about having generally bad eyesight is you get it checked regularly. London is a little far for an appointment as well. The thing that bothered me about my last test was they couldn't get my left eye blur free, too shortsighted but it was ok cos it was still working with my right eye. Seemed a bit odd but they didn't seem concerned. Joys of age.

I'm fine for cataracts etc. one of the great things about having generally bad eyesight is you get it checked regularly. London is a little far for an appointment as well. The thing that bothered me about my last test was they couldn't get my left eye blur free, too shortsighted but it was ok cos it was still working with my right eye. Seemed a bit odd but they didn't seem concerned. Joys of age.

I've been told I have the very start of a cataract. Nothing of any concern at present and nothing that can be done at this stage anyway.

As previously mentioned though eye tests do so much more than a vision check. For me again eye health linked to my NF1 diagnosis is important.

I've been told I have the very start of a cataract. Nothing of any concern at present and nothing that can be done at this stage anyway.
Nothing they want to do at this stage. They'd rather pay for it later than now. I had to go almost blind before I had surgery. Mind you, mine went downhill rather quickly... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom